Question about boost...

smithers_0990

On and On
:
02 P5 & 01 Audi S4
Im going to throw this out to the boost gods.

I understand how a turbo works and everything, BUT why (when the car is not moving or in gear) does the boost gauge not move the needle in to the boost zone? You have exhaust pressure making the turbo spin so why dosen't the gauge go up in to the boost zone??

Sorry, I don't know how to explain it much better.

Thanks

The there is not enough load or resistance to actually produce boost. True the turbo is exhaust driven and there is exhaust energy but not enough at idle to produce positive manifold pressure

Hey Spoolin...

What HP are you running out of your car now?
Someday (after college (4 years)) I hope to buy one of your turbo packages.
What would you recomend I get untill that day of glory, that would be helpfull when the turbo comes?

Thanks

Last edited:
At 7 psi of boost I am making 213 lbs of tq and 206 hp at the wheels. I have made in excess of 230whp at 12psi on race fuel.
As for getting ready for a turbo, you can upgrade your clutch, and a 2.5 inch exhaust. And a LSD would be nice. Anything else(headers, CAI ect) would be a waste of money if you plan on going turbo in the future.

have you upped your internals spoolin??.....i would think runnin 12psi wouldn't be very kind to your rods or pistons considering you're running a 9:1 compression ratio.....just curious....or are you just running 12 for brief stints?

djPhobic said:
have you upped your internals spoolin??.....i would think runnin 12psi wouldn't be very kind to your rods or pistons considering you're running a 9:1 compression ratio.....just curious....or are you just running 12 for brief stints?

I think you got it! He runs 7 PSI for daily driving.

I do not reccomend anyone running this psi on stock internals. I did it twice with race gas and retarded timing. I run 10psi daily, I have been for the past 2 months now.

Back