Question about being sponsored?

Speed_ESQ

:
2003 Mazdaspeed
For those who are sponsored, are you sponsored by a performance shop? If so, what is your arrangement? Do you get parts at cost? Cost plus 'x'%? Free parts? All of the above? Are you required to / register attend all car shows in the area?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Cheers.

My girlfriend was sponsored by a larger local GM tuner when she had her Impala SS. Heres how her deal worked. They had her car at the shop for like 3 weeks for them to put all the in house stuff on. They installed Throttle Body and CAI for free. All her parts after that were at cost(or close). They never had an install agreement but I don't think we EVER paid anything to get anything put on. They also did tons of extra stuff for her like dismounting her tires so she could sell the stock rims. They used her car for promo shots on the website and she had to bring the car to most major events (autorama, Events during NHRA races at baytown ETC.) That wasn't a big deal because we went to most of those anyway. All and all it was a pretty sweet deal but I think she got special treatment because she was an 18 year old girl with a car no 18 year old girl is expected to own. Plus they liked having her around.

your sister got a once in a lifetime offer, your going to have a very hard time getting a sponsorship with a fairly stock MSP/MP3 unless you have connections. IM going for sponsorship this year but i dont see getting anything big.

Most of the guys I have known that got sponsored would get at cost price for products or services supplied by the shop that sponsored them. Most of them were required by contract to have their sponsors name on their car. Some even specified where the placement was and how large the decal would be. Of course this was in the peak of rice-a-roni so no one argued. They would also have to appear at "X" amount of shows in the area. All in all most of them said sponsorship was a cool deal, but with some it really limited what they could put on their car. Best places to get sponsored by are local speed shops with a good selection of what you want to put on your car or my personal choice would be a place that does paint. You get very cheap high quality paint jobs and all you have to pay is for materials which are cheap. Labor is so much of paint. Then they just put their name some where on the car. Definitely what I am hoping for with mine.

My bf was sponsored with his 99 Cougar by several aftermarket companies.

In order to get sponsored you basically need to do a few things.

1. Spend alot of $$ on the car to get it to the point where you can actually WIN shows.

2. Win several awards at MAJOR events -- not the local car clubs show. Travel out of state to big events. Companies like to see cars that will be seen by a broad audience.

3. Make a proposal - company specific. Include personal info, car info, goals, etc. Tell them what you expect from them and what you want them to help you with.

4. Contact the company and speak to whoever is in charge of sponsorships (Marketing). Ask if they are sponsoring and how to submit the info. They will most likely want pics to back it up.

5. Dont expect to get things for free. 75% of the time you will only get a discount -- sometimes that discount is BIG -- but you will have to spend more money.

He was sponsored by Aerogear, Corbeau, Vitek, OMP and a few smaller companies.

Pe@ce

im spons'd by auto concepts i get evertthing at 10% over cost and it works out pretty nicly if you ask me all i ahve to di ti put a 8in stick in my read cornor windows.

Back