Ques on '02 MP5 alarm ... newbie

ASU_MP5

:
Mazda 2002 Protege 5
Just bought my daughter a '02 MP5. It has the small light in the dash inset ... and I figured this is an alarm stauts light. An alarm has gone off several times and we've figured out the sensitivity box but the alarm status light nevers is lit.

The car came with no remotes. What I've read is the alarm only arms when the remotes are used to lock the doors. The dealership is telling me this car had no option for remotes.

I see places that sell remotes so it obviosuly was either an option or came standard.

Ques: Were remotes an option or standard equipment?
Ques: is there an easy way to tell which FCC # remote it woudl take?
Ques: Does the alarm arm itself some other way than the remotes?
Ques: is the a place I can find out what came on the car based on the VIN?

BTW ... daughter LOVES her car. Thanks for the help.

the car is supposed to have the keyless entry remotes... they were STANDARD and not an option

Yeah, that light is the one for the factory alarm system, it was an option. And yeah, all the P5s has keyless entry. You can get new remotes from a bunch of different sites, like onlinemazdaparts.com, protegegarage.com, and a couple others. The remote looks the same as the one from the Mazda3, but they aren't compatible.

The FCC ID on my remote is KPU41704

Model 41706
P/N: BL8D 67 5RY
Canada: 19881032065A
Naldec Corporation Japan

yup...the little keychain remote comes standard with our cars. I installed the alarm on my protege5 and it only turns arms/disarms with the keychain remote. Talk to Ken at protegegarage.com or one of the other vendors and you'll be able to get a remote from them. You'll have to program it to your car once you get it I believe...not sure how to do that but I think there is a thread about it in the "how to" section of this forum...?

whitemp5seattle said:
yup...the little keychain remote comes standard with our cars. I installed the alarm on my protege5 and it only turns arms/disarms with the keychain remote. Talk to Ken at protegegarage.com or one of the other vendors and you'll be able to get a remote from them. You'll have to program it to your car once you get it I believe...not sure how to do that but I think there is a thread about it in the "how to" section of this forum...?

Yup there's a thread but I dunno where I saw it. You have to do something with turning the key and opening and closing the driver door and stuff. It's really fun, the car's lights start flashing and stuff :)

That's what I thought ...

Thanks all. You're tellimg me exactly what I thought was right ... makes us ALL geniuses, right?

Anyway, the idiot dealership I bought it from was trying to tell me the MP5 didn't come with remotes, the alarma was an option mine didn't have, and for them to program remotes it needed to be hooked up to a scantech and would run 150+. I figured they were just trying to screw me.

I'd printed off and sent my daughter the programming instructions (found in the forums somewhere) but she's had no luck with them so I figure I must have the wrong remotes ... that is the wrong freq. or whatever. They're MP5 remotes but not the right series or something apparently.

Thanks for the help.

wow i was told by the dealership i bought mine from that it did not come with a remote and did not have keyless entry. you learn something new everyday, this is way exciting.

Hmmm ...

Got them off eBay from one of the BIG remote resellers. Listing said Protege. I figured they'd work. Maybe not. Anyway to know form the model, FCC id , or part #?

ASU_MP5 said:
Got them off eBay from one of the BIG remote resellers. Listing said Protege. I figured they'd work. Maybe not. Anyway to know form the model, FCC id , or part #?

check the third post in this thread.. I posted the info off my remote. You can send a private message to "bagman1", or start a post in the OnlineMazdaParts.com subforum on here.. I'm sure he can get you a remote, he even did testing to find which of the newer remotes work with our cars.

I'm about to make a firefox extension (or at least a greasemonkey for firefox script) that takes any mention of a part number and links it to the lookup page for that part on onlinemazdaparts.com.. since that's what I always do any time I see a part number. $48.91 on that site, that's not too bad.

Any other Models ...?

I checked the remotes ... both are Model 41706 with the same P/N as earlier in this thread. Both have new batteries. Is this the ONLY model remote for a 2002 MP5? Neither one will program using the guide found on this site (another thread).

Any ideas?

Long distance ...

Not sure. Will have to check with my daughter.
I'm in Germany, she is in Arkansas so everything takes a day ro two to find out.

From what I emember her telling me maybe not but she swears she is doing what the programming instructions said to do ... but who knows.

I just purchased an '02 P5 and I can't seem to get my remotes to work either and I'm wondering if your daughter got hers to work after?
If so what did she do differently than what you sent her?
I used two flow charts from this website and neither worked, this is the first flow chart I used:

keyless.JPG

And this is the second chart

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock
switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do
this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off)
position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after
this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking
and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a
final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.

My remote is 41706
p/n bl8d 67 5ry
fcc id: kpu41704
Canada 19881032065a
Naidec Corporation Japan

I bet its probably the remotes(yes, new batteries) or the receiver, because the car locks and unlocks the doors on its own when following the flow charts.

Any (help) would be great,
Cheers
Pea

So I just bought a 2003 P5 the other day and I noticed that it came with the factory immobilizer. Unfortunately, I noticed this after it had already immobilized my car. The dealer forgot to mention that when i picked it up so i was stuck with a car that wouldn't start until i got a hold of him.

To disarm the security feature, I ended up having to turn the key to ON then press this button on a wire, then back to LOCK, then start the car. (or something along those lines). The trouble is that I don't know why the security system decided to enable itself all of a sudden, the last 2 days it wasn't enabled. I have no documentation on the security system at all. Is there any info out on the net or on this board (i looked but didn't see anything), or am i going to have to pay a mazda dealership a visit?

FYI, i looked under the dash and found that the button on the wire was attached to a box labelled "Starter Kit Unit" with product id being "SPAV06" and there is a small red LED on the steering wheel shaft before the dash (flashing apparently means it is enabled). I have not had any luck searching for this on the net so far. The instructions above look like they are just for adding (or removing) fobs, but do not deal with the security system itself. Any additional info on this would be of great help. Thanks all.

Pat

peasoupdoughboy said:
I just purchased an '02 P5 and I can't seem to get my remotes to work either and I'm wondering if your daughter got hers to work after?
If so what did she do differently than what you sent her?
I used two flow charts from this website and neither worked, this is the first flow chart I used:

keyless.JPG

And this is the second chart

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock
switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do
this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off)
position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after
this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking
and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a
final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.

My remote is 41706
p/n bl8d 67 5ry
fcc id: kpu41704
Canada 19881032065a
Naidec Corporation Japan

I bet its probably the remotes(yes, new batteries) or the receiver, because the car locks and unlocks the doors on its own when following the flow charts.

Any (help) would be great,
Cheers
Pea

Sorry to tell you but she has been unsuccessful in getting either remote to work as of this date. Getting it debugged has been an issue since I am in Germany and she is in Arkansas. I'll be back in the US soon and will try to get it to work on my own. I'm hoping it is as an earlier post suggested and the car is being picky about entering the programming mode.

so after some trial and error testing I figured the alarm out (mostly). It turns out that its quite simple to arm and disarm. both are done with the same actions:

1. press and hold the button on the wire
2. insert the key and turn to the on position
3. wait for the beeps (may not be necessary)

Now, this will arm and disarm, but its kind of a PITA to do this every time i exit the car. I plan on taking it to a professional to see if they can ID it or something and find me some documentation.

Back