Quality HIDs

Majyk

:
'03 Mazda Protege ES & '93 Mazda B2200 LE5
Any of you guys have HIDs on your Protege and recommend a quality kit and distributor? I have had Xentec HID hi/low and fog on my 03 Protege sedan for about 8 months now and have replaced everything on the kits at least twice now. When the temp drops in winter here in Missouri the fogs won't work at all then work fine again when it warms back up. The ballast on them have been replaced 3 times to try to fix that as well. The only real issues with the headlights has been just constantly frying ballast. I have had the same luck with the Xentec kit on my old lady's Focus. Please point me in the direction of a good quality kit that will last.

I just bought mine on eBay for 50$ and they run great. I had them for a year now and still running strong even in the freezing cold Montreal winters...

I got 55w hi/lo and 55w fogs.

Do they have a brand or anything? I bought the Xentecs I have one eBay for like $55. Are they a 3 wire setup where you have to run the power and ground each side?

No brand lol. But the box for the headlights was red and the one for thr fogs was black.

For my headlights, one cable went to the oem light plug. The other cable with the fuse went to my batery terminal and the last 2 wires which are the grounds, i just put them on the body of the engine bay and held them in with a screw. I had to sand that area cause i had antirust.

For my fog lights, i had to cut both oem connectors which left me with a red and a black wire on each side and i just attached and tapped the wires coming from the balast to the black and red wire. Didnt need any ground.

Ddm tuning has lifetime warranties on the ballasts, they're plug and play iirc, and they 30-35 bucks.

Your probly frying the ballasts because you didn't do the upgraded wiring for them, you can get by with it with 35w but I doubt you can with 55w

No brand lol. But the box for the headlights was red and the one for thr fogs was black.

For my headlights, one cable went to the oem light plug. The other cable with the fuse went to my batery terminal and the last 2 wires which are the grounds, i just put them on the body of the engine bay and held them in with a screw. I had to sand that area cause i had antirust.

For my fog lights, i had to cut both oem connectors which left me with a red and a black wire on each side and i just attached and tapped the wires coming from the balast to the black and red wire. Didnt need any ground.

Ya that's how mine are too. I did the same on my fogs. I soddered all the wires because I thought it was a bad connection at first. Send me a link to what your kits are. I think the might be like what I had on my Civic Wagon for over a year with no problems.

I read pleanty of other people having issues with the Xentec kits. One guy said he was averaging 2 weeks per ballast before finally throwing them in the trash for some DDM Tuning HIDs.

Yep those look like my old ones. Where did you mount you fog light ballast? What color temperature do you have, and do you have any pics of what the color temperature looks like?

Did you look at all?

It has the h4 hi/low bulb ( extra twenty bucks)

It also lets you choose the bulb temp from 3-12k

Also has a few other options

Yep those look like my old ones. Where did you mount you fog light ballast? What color temperature do you have, and do you have any pics of what the color temperature looks like?

For my headlights i got the 6000k and for my fogs i got the 5000k. They match and look pretty god damn good.
For the hid ballast for the fogs, i just mounted it in the front bumper with some zipties. Its holding quite well lol.
For the pictures, go take a look at my built thread.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123822033-CiviCity-Student-Budget-Build

I will probably take a few more pictures tonight in the dark, and ill post them up in the thread.

Lol thanks man. That link almost killed my phone. I am ganna go with the DDM Tuning in a 5 or 6000k temp. They will go on the old lady's Focus first because she has normal lights since her last Xentec ballast quit. Thanks for all the guidance guys.

I am going to finally get my DDM Tuning hids ordered here in the next couple of days and I just had one more question. I was wanting to run 6000k 55w hi/lows in my headlights and 6000k 55w in my fogs. I was reading that on some cars the 55w kits will run hot and melt your housing. Does anyone have experience with the DDM Tuning 55w hids? I would hate to order them to later find out that they are going to cause more harm than good.

I am going to finally get my DDM Tuning hids ordered here in the next couple of days and I just had one more question. I was wanting to run 6000k 55w hi/lows in my headlights and 6000k 55w in my fogs. I was reading that on some cars the 55w kits will run hot and melt your housing. Does anyone have experience with the DDM Tuning 55w hids? I would hate to order them to later find out that they are going to cause more harm than good.

i have 55w morimoto mini d2s in mine with no problems at all but my shrouds don't hug the projector body either, they are cut down gatling gun 2's

Back