[Q] Question about instrument clusters/speedometers

jat255

:
2002 Mazda Protege DX (MTX)
Hey everyone, I hope someone can answer this question for me.

I'm interested in adding a tach to my 2002 DX by swapping the cluster. Looking on eBay/junk yard searches, there are a few different options and I want to make sure I'm getting the right one. Of the huge list, I would think it's got to be one of these:

<label for="6" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(228, 228, 228); ">(cluster), Sdn, MPH, tach, w/o Spt mode shifter; SE, silver gauges
</label><label for="7" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(228, 228, 228); ">(cluster), Sdn, MPH, tach, w/o Spt mode shifter; SE, white gauges </label>
<label for="16" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; background-color: rgb(228, 228, 228); ">(cluster), Sdn, MPH, tach, w/o Spt mode shifter; exc. SE; w/o keyless entry
</label>
My problem is that I don't know what this "SE" is. I know from http://www.protegefaq.net/mods_int.html#tacho that I want one w/o keyless entry, but I'm not sure if I need SE or excluding (?) SE, since I don't know what it is. Does anybody have any idea?

Also, I like the look of the white gauges in particular. Does anyone know which clusters with white gauges would fit? I've read that the MP3 cluster works, but what about a similar 3rd gen protege5? It looks similar in pictures, but I'd want to know before buying one.

Thanks for the help!

I think "SE" was supposed to be "ES".
The 02 and newer ES model had white gauges, although I'm not sure if they are a dirsct swap.

Another option for you is to add a piller pod with tachometer and if you want, something else like maybe a vacuum gauge.

That's not a bad idea... I guess I would need to find one first hand. All the ES models had keyless entry, right? So they wouldn't work in the DX. That's too bad. Anybody else have any ideas on what "exc. SE" could mean?

Last edited:
Back