PZEV Removal?

rayarnold

:
2008.5 Mazda3 Touring Sedan
My Mazda3 sedan has the PZEV package installed. Is it possible to downgrade it to LEV or whatever the non-PZEV mz3s are? For instance, is it just an extra cat? If so, could I just get a normal exhaust system and take off mine and install the new one? Are the undersides of the car even the same?

no you can't it has more to do with the programming of the ecu then anything you can just unbolt and remove... sorry

On a side note, my wife's PZEV Legacy sounds scary at first start-up. It has something to do with the way it keeps valves open + ECU programming, etc to warm up the cat faster.

The 2.5 4 cylinder in that car sounds reeeeaaaly close to a V8.

Sounds like an aweful lot of work, and money to get the few hp you lost with a pzev car.

Fuel tank sits slightly towards the driver side more. same # of cats (2). Pzevs have another o2 sensor after the 2nd cat as well. Also there is an extra muffler right at the end of the exhaust. (least it looks like a muffler who knows what the hell witchcraft lies in it.)

Yeah, I understand it'd be an awful lot of work for just those few hp to get it back to stock, but I was thinking when I upgrade the exhaust to convert it back to nonpzev if possible. I figure while im down there trying to get the extra exhaust hp, I might as well get those extra 5 hp back from the pzev crap.

there is only 2 o2 sensors on that model. You have a 2.0, go buy a 2.3 equiped mazda 3 and dont bother with pcm replacement. You realize you will then need to reinitialize all your keys with the pats system, reprogram your power steering pump since it requires programable module installation. Buy a Speed 3 or at least a 2.3 and be done

Look I have a pzev car, just got done looking at it. There are 2 o2 sensors on the manifold\header. (the standard 3 just has these 2)

PZEV models have one more after the 2nd cat.

there is only 2 o2 sensors on that model. You have a 2.0, go buy a 2.3 equiped mazda 3 and dont bother with pcm replacement. You realize you will then need to reinitialize all your keys with the pats system, reprogram your power steering pump since it requires programable module installation. Buy a Speed 3 or at least a 2.3 and be done
Yeah...uhm, I have a 2.3 so that won't work. I just bought it in May so I'm not a huge fan of the "go buy a speed3 instead" either. This was what the dealer had in the color/trim I wanted, and I didn't even think about the pzev thing until after everything was said and done. It was listed as a free "feature", so I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard to downgrade back to normal.

you have a 2.3 and your vehicle meets partial zero emissions? I am pretty sure the only mazda that met pzev is the 2.0 5 speed. I could be wrong unless you have a california emissions car. We dont see too many pzev cars in our dealership except the crappy legacys and imprezas with 2.5s that i would agree make some wierd noises from the vvt actuators

Yeah, PA and a few other states require it as well, check out the note in the pamphlet. It was in the fine print on the specs page. Apparently MD sells both, and I didn't even think about that when I went to the dealer there to buy it. I figured I wasn't in PA so it wouldn't be a PZEV.

Look I have a pzev car, just got done looking at it. There are 2 o2 sensors on the manifold\header. (the standard 3 just has these 2)

PZEV models have one more after the 2nd cat.

what year car do you have wetsuit i thought it was an 04? cuase i swear mine said pzev on it when i bought it and i know i only had 2 02 sensors one in the header and one after the first cat... not that i have any of that anymore lol but thats all that there was before i modified it all.(ricer)

Pzev be damned !

I also have a 2.0 5 spd. PZEV model. didn't know it was until way after everything was said and done. I was interested in the Vibrant cat-back, but they say no go. I saw recently, I think Corksport, has a catback for it, and there is a drop-down box to check off if it;s PZEV so that is probably the way i'll go. The drop-down box also had a 'high flow cat' option for additional $ 200.00 ouch. I'm thinking there is something going on w/the 2nd cat on these cars...still looking into it. Any help from others ??
thanks

Back