Purge Solenoid Valve

Give it a few hundred miles (at least 300 miles but every car may be different) and a few cycles. I reset my other car's CEL once a year for the good old annual inspection. Once reset, it takes about 60+ miles before the data is relevant (else I fail b/c it say ODB2 data not sufficient) and a good few hundred miles before the CEL to re-register. It is a good sign that the problems are gone and hope that's the end of it.

Last edited:
clearing the codes does just that. It doesn't fix any underlying problems that caused the codes. But, often a code will be generated from a one-time event (gas cap left off). If there is a bad sensor reading, the code will come back at some time. Drive it and deal with the CEL the next time it comes on. Then you'll know the code is current.

clearing the codes does just that. It doesn't fix any underlying problems that caused the codes. But, often a code will be generated from a one-time event (gas cap left off). If there is a bad sensor reading, the code will come back at some time. Drive it and deal with the CEL the next time it comes on. Then you'll know the code is current.

Exactly. And this time go pull the code as soon as it happens so that they don't start cascading.

OK, the CEL came back on and I took it to Advanced as soon as I could. The first code was P2187, bank 1 (he said this code was repeated) - which means it's too lean at idle, and then the other was EVAP leak, dont remember the code tho. And btw, it still hasn't given me any trouble after fueling. I'm gonna chk all the hoses to make sure I dont have a leak somewhere. Any thing else you suggest I chk or do?

Purge solenoid valve issues

I recently installed an AEM cold air intake and since then my Protege5 sometimes has a rough idle, i'm wondering, there are two hoses on the solenoid, one is connected on both ends, but the other is only attached to the solenoid, is that how its suppose to be?? I also have an emissions leak code that activated my check engine light.

You'd find more specific help in the Protege5 section, but the purge valve should be connected on both ends. One to the intake manifold, the other to a hard line running to the rear of the vehicle (charcoal canister - to be precise).

So I believe I have a bad Purge solenoid valve. Recently the car has not wanted to start after refueling and the idle had been a little rough at times. From doing some research it sounds like this is a common failure for the Mazdas. My question is, has anyone else had this issue? And if so, is it an expensive fix, or is it something I could do myself? I've tried looking for the part but haven't had any luck. I'd rather do it myself if at all possible and if I can find the part anywhere. Thanks!

Are you overfilling your tank? Do you stop when it clicks off or do you force as much in as possible. If you are overfilling, the vent tube at the top of the tank gets filled with fuel which goes down to the canister. It is only meant to collect vapors.

OK, the CEL came back on and I took it to Advanced as soon as I could. The first code was P2187, bank 1 (he said this code was repeated) - which means it's too lean at idle, and then the other was EVAP leak, dont remember the code tho. And btw, it still hasn't given me any trouble after fueling. I'm gonna chk all the hoses to make sure I dont have a leak somewhere. Any thing else you suggest I chk or do?

I know this thread is a bit old but did you ever get this fixed? My CEL came on yesterday giving the codes P0131, P0455 and P2187. The dealership cleared the codes but CEL came back again after 50 kilometers of driving. The same thing happened both times the light came on...I was stopped in a driveway, the engine vibrated and the light came on. The vibration when stopped or idle has been happening the last couple of months but it seems to have become more frequent and noticeable lately. I do recall smelling gasoline now and then after parking it from outside. So i'm not sure if this is a case of bad Ignition Coils, leak in the EVAP system or purge control solenoid valve (not sure if this is the correct name).

I've had the Mazda 5 for 3 months now and it just hit 94000 kilometers.

I know this thread is a bit old but did you ever get this fixed? My CEL came on yesterday giving the codes P0131, P0455 and P2187. The dealership cleared the codes but CEL came back again after 50 kilometers of driving. The same thing happened both times the light came on...I was stopped in a driveway, the engine vibrated and the light came on. The vibration when stopped or idle has been happening the last couple of months but it seems to have become more frequent and noticeable lately. I do recall smelling gasoline now and then after parking it from outside. So i'm not sure if this is a case of bad Ignition Coils, leak in the EVAP system or purge control solenoid valve (not sure if this is the correct name).

I've had the Mazda 5 for 3 months now and it just hit 94000 kilometers.

I ended up taking it to the stealership. At first they said it was the 02 sensors (thats what the CELs were saying). But I knew that wasnt it, but I let them do their thing. They replaced them and said to give it a try. Before i got home the CEL was back on and it was still sputtering while stopped. So I took it back. After they kept it a week, they replaced the Purge Control Valve, (which is what i thought it was all along) and cleaned the intake manifiold. It starts after fueling now, but every once in a while I will feel a slight shake while stopped. This was all under warranty still thankfully.

I haven't taken it back to the stealership yet but the CEL's been turning on/off for the last 5 days. I'll probably have them replace the purge solenoid valve and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

It's been just over a week now and the CEL light has not come back on. The last time i filled up, i made sure to really tighten the gas cap... so the CEL might have come on cuss of the cap being loose??. Guess i'll just have to wait and see. I still get the small vibrations when stopped or idle occasionally... but hey, no CEL so i'm not too concerned.

Fuel caps do go bad as well with time or if they get dropped or hit hard enough. A faulty gas cap will definately trigger a CEL.

Stupid CEL came back on again yesterday morning after the engine vibrated heavily when stopped. I filled up today and made sure to tighten the cap; after filling up, the car took several cranks to start. I know you had this prob as well U5ername...so i'm definitely going to get the purge solenoid valve replaced.

Last edited:
the slight studder at idle seems to be normal. Mines dones that ever since april 2006 when it was born! Even after the PCM update from one of the TSB's way back when.

For anyone following this thread, i had the Purge Solenoid Valve changed and CEL cleared back on April 21st by my mechanic. The CEL has not come back on thus far but i still feel the slight studder at idle now and then. Guess it's normal considering was98strat has had it since day 1.

Last edited:
Hello. It looks like it has been a while since the last post by tech_az on this thread, but I have same problem on my Mazda 5 so I thought I would share. CEL came on about a month ago, so I took it to local Brake Plus to do a diagnostic check. After initial $75 diagnostic charge, they found P0131 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage and P2187 - System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1. So they replaced Oxygen Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 1 at $242 ($167 parts + $75 labor) and everything seemed okay for about 2 weeks, but CEL came back on again, so I took the car back to Brake Plus and they re-scanned the OBD codes and came up with P0441 - EVAP System Incorrect Purge Flow and P0442 EVAP System Leak Detected. They said they have to replace the purge solenoid valve, and they have to order OEM parts from local Mazda dealer so I guess I have to go back to them in a couple of weeks to replace the valve for another $200 ($60 for another Computer Diagnostic and $140 for valve and installation). And today after I fill up my gas tank at gas station, the car would not start, so I had to press gas pedal to start the engine, and it was idling rough for a while. And I can tell sometimes when I am stopped at a red light, car idles somewhat rough (instead of 800-1000 it goes down to like 600 RPM). Judging by this thread, I guess I am not the only one with this headache on 2007 Mazda 5. Is this a common problem for these years (2006-2010 2.3L) Mazda? I have owned a few other cars before but this is the first time I had all these parts going bad on me and had to be replaced. It only has 58,000 miles so it is rather low miles for a 6 year old car and I just want this constant CEL problems to stop. It looks like all these parts are somehow connected to emission control system and I heard that emission system problems are the most common reason for CEL to come on. I replaced the gas cap last year after I failed emission test due to faulty gas cap, so gas cap is still new, and I always click it like 20 times (I know the cap says 3 times) after fill up to make sure it is shut, so that it will not trigger CEL. I will update this after replacing valve in a few days. Hopefully replacing the valve will fix the problem and no more $$$ and CEL.

So the problem must have been similar to what tech_az had. I took it back to Brake Plus yesterday and they replaced purge solenoid valve and cleared all the P0xxx codes from OBD and now car runs fine just like it did b4 all these CEL problems. So $400+ dollars later for new O2 sensor, new purge solenoid valve with hose kit and new gas cap, the problems are finally gone. So hopefully it will stay this way.

So the problem must have been similar to what tech_az had. I took it back to Brake Plus yesterday and they replaced purge solenoid valve and cleared all the P0xxx codes from OBD and now car runs fine just like it did b4 all these CEL problems. So $400+ dollars later for new O2 sensor, new purge solenoid valve with hose kit and new gas cap, the problems are finally gone. So hopefully it will stay this way.

Glad to hear you're back in action. If it's any consolation, your experiences will help the community tremendously. Thanks for updating your results.

My wife's 2006 Mazda5 has been rough idling lately and wants to quit when coming to a stop. I replaced the plugs, seafoamed the gas, and cleaned the purge control valve with carb cleaner and checked the resistance. It was 20 ohms. Not sure what to do next. Still acting up.

Back