Purchasing tires 17" HP- All season..

hworth18

:
Mazda3s
After getting 33,000 miles on the POS Goodyears, it is time for tires..
The dealership offered Yokohama AVS ES100's which are a High performance "Summer" tires, but I don't want that type of tire..

I have been looking at All-season High Performance tires and after a little investigation online (tirerack, etc.) I have narrowed it down to 2 tires and want to know what experience if any people have had with these tires..

Tire #1- Yokohama AVID V4S 215-50R17/215-45-R17

Tire #2- Bridgestone Potenza G009 215-50-R17

Both tires are ranked high(#2-#3) by The Tire Rack, and have a mileage avg of 50-60,000 miles..

Any imput regarding these is appreciated.. :)

Thanks,
Harry

i dont have any input on any of those, but why dont you go with #1 Kumho ECSTA ASX?
thats what i have and they are very good.

ZoomVT said:
i dont have any input on any of those, but why dont you go with #1 Kumho ECSTA ASX?

Thanks, I was looking at the High Perf tires, not Ultra High Perf, but these seem pretty good also. I am trying to get a tire that will last 50-60,000 miles and cover my driving needs.. (drive2)

(On a side note: Tire Rack rates the Kumho's at #5 now) (poke)

For what it's worth, I've almost always without hesitation swapped my OEM tires for something in the Bridgestone Potenza line or Firestone Firehawk line and have always been satisfied. For the first time in 18 years I tried something else. After the OEM Goodyears gave up at 27k on my wifes 3S sedan, I put on a set of Kumho ECSTA ASX in a 215-50R17. They have been great so far and especially pleased considering what they cost. You may want to consider them.

Have you considered Avon Tech M550 A/S?

hworth18 said:
After getting 33,000 miles on the POS Goodyears, it is time for tires..
The dealership offered Yokohama AVS ES100's which are a High performance "Summer" tires, but I don't want that type of tire..

I have been looking at All-season High Performance tires and after a little investigation online (tirerack, etc.) I have narrowed it down to 2 tires and want to know what experience if any people have had with these tires..

Tire #1- Yokohama AVID V4S 215-50R17/215-45-R17

Tire #2- Bridgestone Potenza G009 215-50-R17

Both tires are ranked high(#2-#3) by The Tire Rack, and have a mileage avg of 50-60,000 miles..

Any imput regarding these is appreciated.. :)

Thanks,
Harry

Have you considered the Avon Tech M550 A/S tires?

I put them on 3 weeks ago (dumped the Eagle RSA standard equipment tires with only 11,000 miles on them due to their unsafe handling capabilities - in snow particularly) and have found my 3's handling in wet and snowy conditions to be markedly improved with the Avons.

I ordered them from Tire Rack, by the way, and had them on the car less than 24 hours after placing the order.

Just thought I'd muddy the waters a little...

If you are interested, there is a thread about my tire buying decision to be found elsewhere in this forum.

LuckyL

ZoomVT said:

+1 vote for Kumho.

I am shocked... SHOCKED... that you got 33k out of those Badyears. Mine were completely shot at 15k! (notcool)

Well I have tried Bridgestone Potenza G009 215-50-R16 not 17, on my VR6 and they were superb !! I mean they are very good even in wet conditions !! but the other day I was discussing tires with one of my friends and he recommended Japenes made Toyo, any one familiar with it ?

Try hancook man! First 1000 mile the tires were quite noicy when taking turn hard, but after it breaks in, it's so quite and handling is awesome and and did I mention it's super cheap too?

hankook are super cheap but i they are not vey good quality. especially for all season, you can get better tires at comparable prices.
I have them for winter because they were super cheap, sadly winter tires are very expensive and there was nothing comparable in price. Granted they are not even good in dry pavement, nevermind when there is water or snow. Im not getting hankooks ever again.

I had Toyos... on my minivan. (ugh)

They were really great tires, though. Super cheap and 100,000 mile warranty! (thumb)

Don't know anything about their performance tires. (dunno)

i am also interested in this. . I live in Wisconsin, and this year was our 2nd snowiest year on reccord(80-90 inches). . . needless to say, we have to drive in it a lot in the winter time. as everyone knows, the RS-A's are crashing mazda3 drivers nation wide in the snow, and I for one, dont want to crash. I realize directional tread tires might give better performance, but i dont think they can be rotated(am i wrong)? I want tires that are rated really good in winter, but over all, an all season.

i was looking at the goodear eagle F1's if i have to get directional tires. any good?

I put the Toyo proxy 4's on my P5. I loved them. Pricey for the
MSP size though, so to try something new I went with the General Exclaims
( highly rated) from Tire Rack. so far great in very wet weather. Still waiting for some dry days to try out the stickiness.

Yokahama yk520 . Our 2nd snowiest winter ever also , worked great . Went with
the 215's . With the oem Goodyears couldn't even get out of the neighborhood , lol.

Yokahama, sounds more JDM :p

I'm jsut kidding, but they are nice tires. I had them on my 15's.
They were pricy and didn't last that long, but handled very nicely.

Yokahama, sounds more JDM :p

I'm jsut kidding, but they are nice tires. I had them on my 15's.
They were pricy and didn't last that long, but handled very nicely.

Yeah Im with bidi here, I had the AVS ES100 on my 02 Civic with 17's and they were great in the rain and dry but they did'nt last very long at all. They look good too because of their straight sidewall. For any winter conditions I found them highly unfavorable.

I just got Dunlop SP Sport Signature for my Mazda3 from tirerack really good tire for the money. You might want to also look at the Bridgestone Potenza G019 but in my area (New England) its about a 7-10 week wait.

Quite honestly, anything is better than the OE tires...

I've found that the treadwear ratings tend to be conservative on the what I'd consider the mid-range high-performance tire segment. Unless you consistently drive like a complete tool, throwing your car all over the road, you shouldn't have any problem getting 60-70k from a tire in this class.

I have some experience w/ Dunlop & Firestone on a previous vehicle, and like the products (Qualifier GT & Indy500 respectively).
After trashing the OE tires in 12k, I went to a dedicated winter/summer setup. This is the first time I've tried Kumho (Ecsta SPT) and I really like them so far.
One of the guys in the autoX group is a tester for the local Kumho office, and his opinion is that they make a good tire, on par or better than the other major brands for a lot less.

Had Khumo and Toyo tires on my teg, ran 205/40/17. Ride was a bit still, but livable (my integra originally came with 14 inch wheels, so 17 was quite a loss in sidewall).

As far as grip, the Toyo Proxies grip was outstanding in dry weather. Left something to be desired in wet and snow for sure. The Khumos I went with were the Ecsta AST all weather. Dry grip was not as good as the Toyo, but honestly, still MUCH better than most Costco and Wallmart tires I've driven on for most of my life. Rain grip was decent as long as you're not being stupid with the car. Snow grip would get you where you needed to go if you NEEDED to get there. Better than the proxies, I would say about on par with cheap tires though. On the way to work in 6 inches of snow, foot slipped going 20mph, blipped the gas, and found myself doing a 360 outside of the store (25k miles into the tires btw).

If you decided not to read ^^ Toyo Proxies are AWESOME as a dry weather tire, the Khumo Ecsta AST was much better than average dry and wet at a great price (for the setup I was running), but would have tried the Ecsta ASX had I not sold the car. Hope this helps someone.... (hi)

I put on the General Exclaim UHP and have almost 700 miles on them. so far way worth the $$$, got them from tirerack and they are the 215/45/17
if you looking for a good cheap tire there it is.

Last edited:
Back