Protege5 to Mazda 3 hatch?

tranzformer

:
2002 P5
Haven't been really active on the forums for quite some time. I have driven Mazdas my whole life. I just love the cars. I currently have an '02 Protege5 that is getting up there in miles, just under 95,000. I have taken care of the car and know that there is quite a bit of life in it; however in the next 12-18 months I will have to put quite a bit of money into it. By next summer/fall I will most likely have to do a new break job (including rotors since they can't be machined down any more), new tires and possibly a new exhaust, clutch, and shocks/struts. Not sure how much it would come out to be, but I think a conservative estimate of ~$3k sounds about right?

So as you can see I would like to upgrade into a new car with a warranty and not have to worry about these maintenance issues when they will eventually come up. The car is getting up there in age and obviously the older it gets, the higher rate of things going wrong and breaking. The Protege5 is a well built car, and of course could go a long time without any issues since I have been taking well care of it. Just not sure I want to risk having an older as I am in graduate school and have a good 6-8yrs before I will be making a good salary. So with a new car, I could theoretically get through that time period in a new Mazda 3.

So here is the main question; will I be happy coming from a Protege5 into a Mazda 3 hatch? I love the Protege5. Sure it is a little down on power. Sure the cabin has more to desire. Sure it isn't the quietest thing on the highway. But I love the style, practicality of the hatch, and the way she handles (rockon). Absolutely awesome. I had the chance to drive the '09 and '10 Mazda 3 hatch. Not a big fan of the '10 design so I would be looking at an '09. However I really didn't get a chance to get a true feel for the car on the 20 min test drive. Most of it was around city driving with a short time on the highway. Seemed responsive, quieter, and had a nicer cabin than the P5. However I am wondering if I would be as happy and content as in the P5? Is the Mazda 3 hatch as fun and responsive to drive as the P5 (rockon), or will I be disappointed? Thanks for the help guys.

i think you would be pretty happy, as you said nicer interior, more powah! and the handling is better as well. some things i remember others saying that did the same thing you are thinking of doing was the p5 seemed to have a better feel then the 3hatch. they said the 3 did everything better it just didn't always make you feel it was. otherwise they all loved it. do a search there are a couple of threads where guys moved into a 3 from a p5.

i think you would be pretty happy, as you said nicer interior, more powah! and the handling is better as well. some things i remember others saying that did the same thing you are thinking of doing was the p5 seemed to have a better feel then the 3hatch. they said the 3 did everything better it just didn't always make you feel it was. otherwise they all loved it. do a search there are a couple of threads where guys moved into a 3 from a p5.

Thanks for your post. I appreciate it.

some things i remember others saying that did the same thing you are thinking of doing was the p5 seemed to have a better feel then the 3hatch. they said the 3 did everything better it just didn't always make you feel it was. otherwise they all loved it. do a search there are a couple of threads where guys moved into a 3 from a p5.
it was a few years between my MSP and my 3 but i would say i agree. the 3 is definitely a nicer car but it did lose something in the driving feel. it's still not american car vague but the car doesn't quite communicate what it's doing as well as the protege did, even if it is doing it better. i've enjoyed my year or so with the car so far. it's a good DD

I went from an '02 Protege5, to an '08 Mazdaspeed3. Loved the Pro5 (RIP) with all my heart, but she got totaled. She was the whole reason why I stayed with the Mazda hatchback, and upgraded to the Speed3. Couldn't be happier!

There is no way you'd be disappointed. I just did the exact same thing and I'm glad I did. I loved the Pro 5 because of the handling & gas mileage. I agree that you do lose a little bit of driving "feel", but there are a lot of advantages to offset that. The 3 is quieter, roomier, feels faster, and overall just seems more solid. Do it!

Back