Protege5 SportAuto Synthetic ATF

Jim Frye

I have a 2003 P5 that is about to roll to 10K miles on the odo (momma doesn't drive much). I will be converting the engine oil and the transaxle ATF to full Synthetic at that time. The owner's manual and the shop manual that I have for this car do not specify a transaxle fluid change interval. The owner's manual calls out a capacity of 7.6 quarts of Mercon V ATF and perhaps that's why they are not calling for a fluid change. That's almost twice the amount of fluid in a transaxle that I've ever seen. I normally use Mobil1 fluids, but Mobil does not make a full synthetic AFT with Mercon V specs. They have a blended Mercon V ATF, but not a full synthetic. Amsoil makes a Mercon V spec'd full synthetic ATF. I was wondering if anyone has used this or any other full synthetic ATF in their P5 yet. The only other full synthetic, Mercon V spec'd ATF I can find is Redline D4 ATF. Unfortunately, no one within 50 miles of me carries it.
Jim

Last edited:
Well, after much research, I am going ahead with putting Amsoil ATF in the P5 when it hits 10K miles. Amsoil is the only full synthetic that will leave me with a warranty coverage. I had to order the eight quarts from the local stocking dealer as they didn't have that much on hand. I will update this thread after the switch and after a few weeks of driving to see how things go. If it works like the other automatics I've put syntetic ATF in, the P5's shifting should improve dramatically.

Just to level set things, here's my prior experience:
1. '92 Saturn SC2 Coupe. 145,000 miles (Mobil1 ATF in at 30K). Still breaks the 195/60 TAs loose from standstill without power braking and on full throttle 1-2 shift. Firmer shifts on every upshift. Didn't do that when new.
2. '97 Honda Civic EX Coupe. 45,000 miles (Mobil1 ATF in at 30K). Breaks the 195/60 TAs loose from standstill without power braking and on full throttle 1-2 shift. Quicker shifts on every upshift. Could barely feel the shifts when new.

How much did you pay per quart?
Are you going to do the "flush" and replace everything or will you just remove the drain plug and drain it that way. if you just drain, only about 3.5 - 4 quarts come out.

YellowMP5 said:
How much did you pay per quart?
Are you going to do the "flush" and replace everything or will you just remove the drain plug and drain it that way. if you just drain, only about 3.5 - 4 quarts come out.
I am getting the ATF from 4 Wheel Drive Diversified in Maumee, OH. $8.78 per quart.

I am plannig on doing a full replacement of the fluid. Jim

Last edited:
Back