Protege5: Repair or move on?

Victor1994

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Alright, so I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5, bought it February last year, with 122k miles now. Before I bought it, it was in excellent condition. However, the small dealer patched the other side of the radiator (Side facing bumper) and I didn't see any leaks when inspecting the car before purchase. He didn't even tell me either, which resulted in it overheating on my way to work a month after purchase, blowing the head gasket. Got the gasket fixed, and head machine and inspected, and now the rings in cylinder 3 are going out. It has a low compression of 60-70 with the rest fine at 120-160. I haven't done a leak down test, but I'm assuming it's a ring considering that I'm burning oil (not enough to see blue smoke). I have to fill it with a quart & 1/2 of oil between oil changes.

Anyway, I absolutely love these cars, I got it because we had one before that reached to 300,000 miles before the engine blew from my aunt not changing the oil when we sold it to her, bummer. Extremely reliable, great fuel economy, simple, and fun to drive. But what I want to ask is, is it really worth keeping? I have been debating whether to fix it, obviously putting a new motor in it, or trade it in and move on to another vehicle. I have test drove the new 2014 Mazda3 Hatchback, but I'm kinda disappointed in the look a bit and space it provides. It also doesn't give me that feeling I have with my Protege5. The sedan actually looks better.

But as I said, should I keep or move on? :/

Do a leak down test before deciding anything. Remember that the piston has to be at TDC.

Rings can and do break occasionally, but it's not all that common. Rings don't just wear out on one cylinder, they wear together. I think it's more probable that something went wrong with the cylinder head.

Do a leak down test before deciding anything. Remember that the piston has to be at TDC.

Rings can and do break occasionally, but it's not all that common. Rings don't just wear out on one cylinder, they wear together. I think it's more probable that something went wrong with the cylinder head.

^^^^ agreed

I didn't think about that at all, with the whole rings wearing together. I do hear a ticking whenever I let off the gas just a bit when at highway speeds above 50 mph. Could that be a valve? Also, I found my oil loss problem, found that my engine knock sensor has cracked and oil is drenched around it.

If you had taken the car back to the dealer when the engine overheated you would have been entitled to a refund under lemon laws. I think too much time has passed to file in small claims unless your state has some exempt you quality under. If you can afford to replace the engine go ahead, but generally when a car repairs cost way more than the vehicle will ever be worth I don't bother. It's just throwing good money away.

Unless really down on power - the quart or so every 6.5K miles is about right...

Just keep driving it!

But before pulling the motor or scrapping the car - I would re-test it...

It's been a while since I posted here, but I decided to move on. Sad to see her go, but in the end a lot of weight is lifted off my shoulders.
Just got a 2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback, and it's Manual. Zoom Zoom! lol

Back