Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

Timing and even power distribution is a huge challenge. Even with electric motors, it's very difficult to evenly distribute the same power to both sets of wheels. After that, you still have to have a custom built/tuned ecu to control it. If you are on the highway with the front axle doing 65mph and the rear axle wanting to go 70mph, you're going to have a bad time

I realize it's not easy. It's just food for thought. You have to admit it would be pretty cool, if a little unrealistic.

No supports welded in while you cut the floor out? Good luck ever getting your alignment right again....frame is going to be all out of wack

Guess you've never seen a kitcar being built. I'm going to drill anchor holes in my garage floor and use large straps to hold the frame even while I weld it.

Yes, I'm going to use the original engine. Boosted to hell and back again. At the very least I want some experience tuning a "cheap" engine before I ever upped the engine plans. As it is, this is going to be highly modified as is and I think will work very well. V8's are heavy ya know. (rolleyes)

^That's what I'm thinking

T56 is for Vipers, Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs. It's meant to deliver the torque of a V8, not a 4 cylinder making 130hp at the crank. I mean, look at the shear size of it in the car

2006 c6 Z51 Corvette.

Last edited:
BRIAN is your man to talk to about boost. I realize you know your stuff, but im sure Brian can help too? And the MSP guys that are running boost. Is there even enough room in the front to mount that tranny transversely?? Not trying to be a killjoy, its just that, like a few others have said, that things MASSIVE. can we get a side comparison shot of the two trannies please? :)

If only we knew what went on in your mind ;)

BRIAN is your man to talk to about boost. I realize you know your stuff, but im sure Brian can help too? And the MSP guys that are running boost. Is there even enough room in the front to mount that tranny transversely?? Not trying to be a killjoy, its just that, like a few others have said, that things MASSIVE. can we get a side comparison shot of the two trannies please? :)
If only we knew what went on in your mind ;)

Thats a T56 transmission, its a transaxle version. I still need to buy the differential it mates too as well as the shifter assembly/transmission tunnel. It was simply posing for a cool picture lol

I have no idea what happens in my own mind :p

Last edited:
Im not sure if that spells crazy or mad genius ;) either way, what's left of the car is lookin good! (I guess? ;) )

Please take this post objectively as I greatly respect the work you've done. I'm a huge fan of working with what you have. I'm the first to admit that I hate the idea of V8 swaps in RX7's and Miatas. But... I must say that I don't fully understand using a sub-par engine when you obviously have the know-how and skill to make things work. I'm anxious to see what you end up doing... but I will say I'm a little confused on that front.

Please take this post objectively as I greatly respect the work you've done. I'm a huge fan of working with what you have. I'm the first to admit that I hate the idea of V8 swaps in RX7's and Miatas. But... I must say that I don't fully understand using a sub-par engine when you obviously have the know-how and skill to make things work. I'm anxious to see what you end up doing... but I will say I'm a little confused on that front.

Seconded. You wouldn't have to go out the Mazda family, but (and let's be honest here) the FS-DE is not the reason that you buy a P5.

I have to agree. I think I would opt for a boosted KL. Or even a MZR (not sure of the letters but I mean the engine from a speed3).

If the rotary was more efficient and met Tamns goals of efficiency, I would suggest trying to tackle that beast. Its probably lighter than the FS (as far as I can tell) and would only help in the weight savings front. But the transaxle tranny negates the possibility of that me thinks. Idk. Just mental diarrhea from me :)

^^ Rotarys are efficient for hp/liter but not for fuel economy. Fuel economy is going to suffer a little with this new setup but an MZR, BP or KL could balance power and economy pretty well.

Okay :) well, my understanding would be the MZR could be difficult to setup since its drive by wire. Could that not pose an issue if Tamn doesn't run a standalone. Motor mounts wouldn't match up either- not that this tranny is meant for this subframe either.

^^ Rotarys are efficient for hp/liter but not for fuel economy. Fuel economy is going to suffer a little with this new setup but an MZR, BP or KL could balance power and economy pretty well.

yeah, sadly...rotaries are actually very inefficient over all...and you'll find many engineers that are familiar with them claiming the accepted displacement measurement is WAY off (in that a 2 rotor 13B is more like 2.6 liters, not 1.3L as advertised)...strong debate on that...but in either case, they use a lot of gasoline to make the same power when compared to normal piston oriented engines...

fundamentally they make a rounded expansion 'stroke', a burning mixture isn't pushing on parts in a straight line...which translates into an engine that isn't very good at light load situations...but at the same time, is perfect for balance...a rotary engine couples inefficient expansion properties with a very efficient assembly geometry...pretty much the polar opposite of a piston engine...the rotary is butter smooth because of these principles, but devours gas like an engine 3 times its size...

look at the Renesis for example, the last production rotary engine on earth so far...roughly 185rwhp in an RX-8...and you're lucky to touch 20mpg...thats worse than modern performance V8's making 400hp...

sorry, not trying to get off topic...i just see that pop up from time to time and wanted to add to it.

I had considered doing a rotary swap much earlier, was pretty disgusted at the cost of rebuilding a 20B to be reliable. Building a full out Fs-De is literally pocket change compared to a built rotary, parts are too scarce these days.

I can walk down to Seattle and take my pick of FS-De blocks all day on the "cheap" parts are readily available everywhere and I won't be...totally pissed if I blow something up tuning my first engine compared to some kind of exotic 6 cylinder block from japan.

I also like the idea of keeping the original engine with a car, I have a 454 bigblock sitting on my boat I could use if I really wanted. But frankly, I'd like to see what the original engine can actually do.

Last edited:
^agreed...we're on the wrong side of the pond for remotely affordable rotary options...

So whats the deal then with that gear box? you're going to RWD a FS-DE and bolt that box to it? I thought i read it was a transaxle, so you'll mount the gear box in the back and just run a torque tube from the engine? If so, thats an awesome set up...my 82 Porsche 928 is set up this way...gear box in back, all aluminum v8 in front...very controllable balance, even with nearly 400lb/ft of torque...

^agreed...we're on the wrong side of the pond for remotely affordable rotary options...

So whats the deal then with that gear box? you're going to RWD a FS-DE and bolt that box to it? I thought i read it was a transaxle, so you'll mount the gear box in the back and just run a torque tube from the engine? If so, thats an awesome set up...my 82 Porsche 928 is set up this way...gear box in back, all aluminum v8 in front...very controllable balance, even with nearly 400lb/ft of torque...

Thats the plan,torque tube up front, tranny in the back, fun all around, you can leave your sanity at the door.

The torque tube driveline is also used in Sprintcars and Midget cars. The C5 and C6 Chevrolet Corvette, Lexus LF-A, Porsche 924, Porsche 928, Porsche 944, Aston Martin DBR9, Aston Martin DBS, Aston Martin DB7, Maserati Quattroporte V, Maserati GranTurismo and the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG[1] also use variations on this design, mostly with rear-mounted transaxles.

Last edited:
Any reason not to go with a motor that can put up with abuse? You're already doing all the work in the conversion, why not do the extra 1% and get something sturdy? Something like a B6 (if you want fuel economy or a peaky fun motor) or any of the variations of the BP motor? Either in NA form with the 2001+ Miata engines with VVT, or in boosted form with the 1994-7 motors? They're already designed in RWD configurations (I don't believe the FS ever was), and there's tons of parts for them. And they're also not made of glass and silly putty.

FE3 swap? ;) more room given the transmission is mounted rearwards of the engine bay? My understanding of the transaxle system isn't too high...

But then sourcing one would be harder than the rotary swap as far as parts go.

Latest posts

Back