Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

Plastic fuel tank? why not just run a fuel cell. that way you can mount it inside the car and run a smaller tank to cut down on weight.
Exhaust out the front bumper, not a good idea. What you will save in weight, you will lose in power. If you want to save weight, have an alumin. cat back made.
I've seen a child hold up FULL aluminum exhausts, so they weigh practically nothing.

Plastic fuel tank? why not just run a fuel cell. that way you can mount it inside the car and run a smaller tank to cut down on weight.
Exhaust out the front bumper, not a good idea. What you will save in weight, you will lose in power. If you want to save weight, have an alumin. cat back made.
I've seen a child hold up FULL aluminum exhausts, so they weigh practically nothing.

It is a smaller plastic tank, it will be mounted inside the car like a cell. The problem with cells is they are not applicable to street cars. The rubber bladders inside them disintegrate when fuel is stored in them, they must be drained after every drive/race whatever, they are madly expensive and must be replaced every few years as well. I was originally going to do a cell, but after looking at them, it's not viable for street cars.

Aluminum Exhausts get to hot for extended racing. Short periods are fine, but for events longer than 30+ mins it gets very dicey when elevated temperatures rise. You will not lose "lots of power" running short exhausts, all high end racecars run short exhausts if rules allow for it.

i saw a blazer a few years ago with a full exhaust system that dumped out of the front fender well after a little search here's how the finished product looked
0701mt_13_z+1996_chevrolet_blazer+custom_exhaust_detail.jpg

0701mt_08_z+1996_chevrolet_blazer+engine_compartment_side_view.jpg

0701mt_12_z+1996_chevrolet_blazer+custom_exhaust.jpg

on the note of fuel cells, i know many a person who have run fuel cells for years on their daily, any mini built worth its salt replaced their stock tank with a relocated cell be it plastic or aluminum. you could potentially do a thin aluminum wall one lined outside in carbon for strength

Last edited:
i saw a blazer a few years ago with a full exhaust system that dumped out of the front fender well after a little search here's how the finished product looked
0701mt_13_z+1996_chevrolet_blazer+custom_exhaust_detail.jpg

0701mt_08_z+1996_chevrolet_blazer+engine_compartment_side_view.jpg

0701mt_12_z+1996_chevrolet_blazer+custom_exhaust.jpg

on the note of fuel cells, i know many a person who have run fuel cells for years on their daily, any mini built worth its salt replaced their stock tank with a relocated cell be it plastic or aluminum. you could potentially do a thin aluminum wall one lined outside in carbon for strength

Sweet, I like the front end on that car, thanks for the pics.

Well, it not the actual fuel box, its the rubber liner inside that's the culprit in cells, if someone is running just a box container its not a "Cell"; a cell is the outer shell and the inner rubber bladder that actually holds the fuel.

yank the rubber bladder and install the tank foam to prevent sloshing and your good to go! but yeah as soon as you said front bumper exhaust it instantly reminded me of this truck

iirc it was initially built with two flowmasters tucked into the front bumper and visible exhaust ports on the outside with tubing going all over the place but this version seems very minimal and your style plus the stealth of the exhaust outlet like this would get you pulled way less if it was an issue

iirc it was initially built with two flowmasters tucked into the front bumper and visible exhaust ports on the outside with tubing going all over the place but this version seems very minimal and your style plus the stealth of the exhaust outlet like this would get you pulled way less if it was an issue

Yea very stealthy, I like it, would make a lot less hassle.

**Pulled off the front and rear bumpers tonight, Gonna start getting them plug worthy and get the rear bumper cut out for the diffuser placement.

I don't know how restrictive your inspections are, but I know that in the past, all legal exhausts had to exit after the last opening window. The whole CO thing and all. Like I said, not sure if that's still in effect, but it was a few years ago when a friend of mine failed inspection due to that.

I don't know how restrictive your inspections are, but I know that in the past, all legal exhausts had to exit after the last opening window. The whole CO thing and all. Like I said, not sure if that's still in effect, but it was a few years ago when a friend of mine failed inspection due to that.

Firstly my car doesn't need to be inspected, I live outside of Seattle area.
Secondly, the way the law is worded, as long as the window is non openable, I could exit the exhaust before the door.

Now, in other states idk, I would hate needing inspection, would be a hassle just to argue my point. :p

Truth. Washington is very lenient in any place but the Puget sound area... You can get away with just about anything

Secondly, the way the law is worded, as long as the window is non openable, I could exit the exhaust before the door.

Now, in other states idk, I would hate needing inspection, would be a hassle just to argue my point. :p

Gotcha. I don't know how Mercedes was able to get away with it on their production cars like the SLR and such, but whatever. Wouldn't be my first choice, personally. I've been smelling the exhaust of my Civic from a little crack in the gasket before the cat and I'm really getting sick of it (and from it).

So pumped to see where this build continues to go.

Got the car aligned today, drives great. Just got to put the interior back together tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you again for the help!

I cant sleep...I remembered tonight I left a little chunk of excess metal on the back of the carbon gas cover I made long ago...I'm gonna go cut it off...at 2 in the morning. Before I forget, yay.

There will be directional arrows or it will say outside on the tire. I'm sure you already looked to make sure they are mounted correctly though.

Back