Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

Has it crossed my mind? Absolutely!
Banned in every racing series I've ever seen? Absolutely.
That must mean it works? Absolutely...

Will I ever try it......mmmmmm....well, never say never, I was reading some stuff about it the other day as a matter of fact.

I don't actually race the car in an actual series, so I'm free to do whatever I please as far as mods go. Basically just a track day monster, theres some loophole classes in certain places where you can run unlimited stuff, but I figure those are all 1500 HP qaud turbo V16 pwnmobile 5000's with 500,000$ cars and huge teams. As of right now, I could still fit into SCCA street modified for sure. So....I'll answer with a...maybe. I do think its a neat idea though, I really do.

Their are downsides ofc, my father was building racecars in the 70's-80's at the time with some pretty big names, and he was around to see all the crazy stuff they did. He was talking about how the new fan cars needed tremendously more weight for their fan/power setups, and then they were spitting road debris into the cars behind them because that's where the air vents were. They were shooting out windshields with rock chips and creating dust clouds behind them so thick people couldn't pass them. Anyways... I could talk all day about this stuff but I gotta head out and breeze my butt off in the snow under some protege's.

Yeah...the Chaparral 2J received complaints for exactly that, although its fan system was actually pretty light...it used 2 lightweight fans and single small 2 stroke 45hp snowmobile engine...and had an adjusted 'square' chassis with a lot of empty space to give room for it...leaving the overall weight of the car within similar limits to all other cars in the Le Mans series at the time.

it was riddled with problems though, but when it worked...it averaged 2 to 3 seconds faster per lap than the 2nd fastest. It was eventually outlawed because of rule definitions, with teams arguing it had 'movable aerodynamics', not because of the complaints of debris being kicked up...after all, when it worked, no one was any where near it haha...

It was attempted in F1 too, with even better results...but the same rulings came at the end, and it was quickly outlawed...

Ok, worked for about 5 hours on the flange portion today. Slow work with dremel and hand file.

A drill bit later....

As I was preparing to level the top portion, I realized that the bracing between was going to get in the way of my design. Removed it and was tired, so I'll continue it later, hands hurt from all the metal splinters.

You went to all four pull-a-parts?

Thats a pretty big trip.

Ended up just hitting the two "closest" to me because I found an 02 protege at the first one :)

Last edited:
Looks like I can run a side exhaust right out my front bumper. Based on the wording used in the RCW section relating to exhaust, if I have a non operable passenger window, I can route the exhaust out that side.

Which is good, because I'd like to save all that weight. :)

Worked on the manifold some more today, slow work but It's gonna turn out real nice looking. I'll port match it to the head once I pull the engine out later.

Last edited:
what would you say is the biggest impact to mpg I could do to my p5? Thank you.

Ah....I hate winter...I spent the last few days running flow simulations with 2 of my computers and checked out some heavy reading via research papers at my college.
I've calculated what I believe will give me the correct maximum flow resistance for my bellmouths.

I drew them up in CAD and I'm having metal plugs machined to extremely precise dimensions. One of a kind just for the FS-DE engine, gonna be very trick. Using the plug I'm going to vacuum bag the velocity stacks out of carbon.

Random:
At work, there's this really awesome pump...it's more than 2 stories tall and the rods are larger than a fully grown man. It is absolutely awesome, camera's are not allowed in that area or I would get you some pictures.

33048683.jpg

Last edited:

Gonna take part in a mold making demo on friday, I'll pick up the rest of my vacuum bagging stuff then. Yay

Wonder how much I'd save removing my suspension altogether...(evil)

Just fit some spring/shocks to my seat, good to go right? :p

Any of you guys ever shot nitrous on a protege? I pulled the nitrous stuff off my 454 powered jetboat. Quick search revealed no-one using it seriously or on a forged motor.

Picked up some fancy vacuum bagging materials, looking to grab a large kerosene heater so I can get my garage warm enough to consider spraying gelcoat and getting the resin to cure.

in my bagged vehicle years i spent a good bit of time driving with basically no springs or shocks. its a beyond horrible ride unless your on 70+ series rubber, then its just horrible. that little divot in the asphalt... get ready to introduce your head to your roof, and the disc in your spine to herniation.

i do suppose a good suspension system on the seat would fix that but even some of the ones in the heavy equipment ive driven around launch you around. a CAT IT28 has no suspension but and air spring w/shock seat, even driving down a smooth road sucks.

have you thought about drilling a ton of little holes in non structural areas like the old gasser's would do to save weight on the track?

have you thought about drilling a ton of little holes in non structural areas like the old gasser's would do to save weight on the track?

I have drilled out several places already. I've cut away sheet metal in several spots as well where it held sound deadening materials. Problem is the gassers were not unibody contruction cars so it's becoming a pretty big challenge to find more weight to come out without replacing body panels with lighter material construction.

Several spots I'm going to be focusing on next for more weight reduction: plastic gas tank, cutting out rear floor (where the spare tire sits), carbon strut bars, carbon/fiber hood/front fenders/rear bumper/doors, lexan or perspex front and side windows. Cutting out the front unibody frame where the front bumper/fenders mount and tube framing it instead. Eventually I'll do a carbon roof (higher up weight removal is amazing) Carbon seat brackets to replace my steel ones. The dash bar that holds the steering wheel/dash bracketry in carbon tubing.

Right now, I could cut out the inside metal skins on my doors (I would have if I wasn't planning on doing composite ones eventually, I need intact them for the molds) Also a few metal brackets I can remove in the engine bay, but I'll worry about that later, I've already removed like 70% of them already.

Then I can mess around with lighter brake assemblys/drilling them, whatever. Leaving that for last since I don't especially want to mess with the brakes since they work so well as is.

I also am considering routing my exhaust out the front bumper or running it just behind the passenger door to cut down on all that tubing. By using ITB's made primarily from carbon I'm saving weight compared to stock intake as well.

Power steering/ABS/heater core, I have considered it obviously but this is a street car (at least I think so, lol) so I'm leaving those. Engine Wise, I'll make some light pulleys later on and shaving my cranks weight as well as deburring/polishing the block, every ounce counts when you've taken hundreds off where you wouldn't expect savings.

Once I have completed that list....which should keep me busy for a long time, I'll get to cutting bolts down to half sizes/drilling the centers out....and I've probably left some stuff out, but you get the idea.

The Mazda RX7 FD3s was modeled after wreckage of a Japanese WWII Zero Fighter Plane. There were many hole drilled in the structure of the wings and other parts of the fuselage to lighten the plane

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uZ2z42pWBbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back