Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

depends on the ferret and the teacher. They are fairly trainable. Little fact, Ferrets back into corners to use the bathroom. Ours would use a corner in master bathroom so if you know their spot, they like to go in one place. We have a large cage to keep him in so he's not out all the time. He has a triangle shaped litter pan he uses.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vY-GWTM4ioo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow thats nuts, I had no clue you could train ferrets like that! Super cool! I have grown up with dogs and cats lol so typical

Put down the first layer of glass on the mold, went down fantastic. I put down the second layer of heavier glass as well. Tomorrow I'll do the third and final layer. Then I'll start laying up the back half of the hatch. Also laying up my mirror block off panel tomorrow to.

Random pics of me deleting the drivers side wiper. A good 2-3 pounds of weight saved with removing the bar assembly to the motor as well as the actual wiper. I will be increasing the rotation of the wiper to 125 degrees.

Weapons of choice in the never ending fight against those bastard air bubbles.

Lots of slits helps against air bubble build up in the first layer. Slice high area's and corners.

F******King air bubbles! (argh)(argh)(pissed)(bang):'(

A few bubbles I can live with...but the entire edge refused to obey...

I'll grind the entire edge part off and pour resin into it and then lay a thin strip of glass over that.

(this is the back seal of the part so in all likelyhood it would not be a real problem, but I want perfect parts. Rest of the part looks fantastic besides this horrific edge but I'll get er fixed up.)

Last edited:

Meh...guess I'll post these since I'm bored of researching vacuum bagging. Decided to scrap how I was gonna make the mirror block off plates. I cut the raised part of the plastic off with my dremel (STINKY!)

Wrapped it in aluminum foil... to the basic shape I wanted, put in some fiberglass to soak up resin and poured resin into it. Gonna flip it over and do the same basic thing, foil wrapper...pour more resin in.

Then I'll sand it down to the desired shape and boom. Got a plug to make the mold from. (really sorry bout the bad picture quality...I need to get an actual camera...if you hadn't figured it out yet, I just use my android phone to take them all.)

Wanted to re-introduce myself. It's been since December that I've logged in. Still have our P5 and she's running great. Had to replace a coil and the VC gasket. While I had the VC off, I sanded it down and painted it red to match the P5 and then sanded the words down to a shine. Looks fantastic and no more leaks. She has nearly 140K on her now and about the only thing I could wish for is more power...lol. The autostick with that little FS is just slow, to put it bluntly... She does get about 25-26 MPG in the city though, so I can't complain too much. My next project is to figure out what kind of LED's I need for the instrument cluster and get those replaced. Can't even see it anymore unless it's completely dark. Take it easy everyone. ~Dorian

Hi, been glued to this for a few hours now. I was wondering. Do you think your turbo system has heped with your impressive MPGs?

Haha, so....after storing my rota's in my closet for 6 months or so....
I FINALLY GOT MY HANKOOKS MOUNTED TO THEM, YIPPEEEE

Now is the part where you laugh....I get them mounted up at the tire place..(funny thing, the guy mounting them was like...for a protege hmm...that wouldn't be that red gutted one would it?) ;)

Anyways, I get home...pop off the rear...cleaning the hubs all nice and all...bolt the new wheel into place...then I look into my box of new lug nuts and realise, oh snap I'm 4 short....totally spaced out and I had purchased a 16 piece set of lug nuts instead of the 20 piece when I ordered them before.

So I mounted both rear wheels and ordered some more lugs...Another few days until I get all 4 up I guess...DERPPPPP IM A MORRRON

EDIT: oh yea, I just weighed the stock wheel/tire 16x6 compared to the rota slipstream 15x8 with hankook 225/45/15 on it.
Both 37 pounds each. Sweet, all that extra rubber and no weight gain.

Last edited:
Haha, well I thought you were running turbo for some reason so that's not so bad. Must have been another member in the same thread. Maybe you were unconsciously "thinking" about weight saving when ordering the 16 set (crazy) Can't wait for pic update with full set.

Well I am building a turbo setup and everything...but I'm taking my sweet ass time about it, haha.

Anyways, block off plates almost finished. Just putting bondo on and sanding smooth. Gonna be nice!

Popped the main part of the new hatch out of my new mold. It's ridiculous, best piece I've made to date. Just gotta get the back part glued onto it, trim up the edges and get that bad boy painted up real nice.

So I got another set of lugnuts, clean up my front hubs all nice put the front wheels on. Gonna take it around the neighborhood to check if it rubs or anything. I back it up and drive several hundred feet and I'm hearing this grinding noise, so I'm like....ahhh crap.

Part of my struts were rubbing the corner of the back of the wheel when it turned, so it "machined" off part of my edge of the new wheels. :'(

Marked the rubbing spots.

Dremeled them off, refit wheels. Didn't get a chance to drive around to see if they still have fitment issues as it got dark. Will see tomorrow and if they work good I'll grab my nice camera and take some nice pics of how it looks.

Cheers!

Alright, lots of pictures...I got a bunch of pictures in the order the parts come out of my turbo for the rebuild, just for anyone who's curious about what one looks like inside.

Secondly, some snaps of my car with the wheels and the new passenger side block off plate I made.
Cheers!

Making up my drivers side mirror block off plate now. Same method. Chop off mirror, cut plastic base up. Pour resin into basic shape. Final shaping with bondo/sanding layers.

I made up this sticker to put in the passenger dash to give them something to look at.

What it looks like after resin has been poured and a bit of sticky bondo to get in the larger holes.

Soaking turbo parts in vinegar. yum.

Yay new toys...I mean...supplies!!!

5 more gallons of resin, some gelcoat, PVA....

My new super duper scooper gel coat gun... *drool*

Oh yes I did....real carbon fiber weave...My wallet hurts.

Drivers side mirror block off being shaped.

Prepping the rear hatch back part for bonding to the front part.

Back