Protege5: Harder, not Smarter!

interested, but wondering why you did not go with the autoexe Big bore TB that already works with our cars instead of having to design this from the ground up to work? I know Mp5T is using one but Brian is also using a haltech to control it and the Ford TPS how will you be controlling it?

You should have gone with a GM throttle body if you're making an adapter plate anyway. The GM tb's with the type-2 "bolt on" IAC are compatible with the stock Mazda BAC valve. (See my build thread for more on this.)

interested, but wondering why you did not go with the autoexe Big bore TB that already works with our cars instead of having to design this from the ground up to work? I know Mp5T is using one but Brian is also using a haltech to control it and the Ford TPS how will you be controlling it?

The easy way?
PFTTTT :D

I got a good deal on the TB from someone who "attempted" to make an adaptor, but I dont think he gave any thought to the sensors so I guessing it idled like crap and hence he sold it.

Last edited:
Actually the point of "these" generators I made is to "collect" the air, and then release it in a straight stream to bypass the low pressure area directly behind the car. Or at least that's the theory. :)
The design comes from the generators used to "trip" the air over the gap between semi trucks and their trailers.

^Not what they taught me in my aerodynamics classes... You will get 'some' effect - but not 'best' effect.

By 'blocking' the wind (by their frontal face) they will actually induce drag. Some of the drag will be offset by the increased turbulence breaking up the 'vacuum' of the rear hatch...but not much. sry.

Last edited:
^Not what they taught me in my aerodynamics classes... You will get 'some' effect - but not 'best' effect.

By 'blocking' the wind (by their frontal face) they will actually induce drag. Some of the drag will be offset by the increased turbulence breaking up the 'vacuum' of the rear hatch...but not much. sry.

Yes it will increase drag at the frontal area, but the overall net gain is "supposedly" worth it. Aerodynamics is a very voodooish subject, which is why I'm waiting until I have some very very good average baselines before attempting to test the generators. :)

Start with a protege hood

imag0316p.jpg

Apply lots of wax.

imag0317j.jpg

Add aluminum foil.

imag0326i.jpg

Add Fiberglass.

To be continued...

More fiberglass pictures coming tomorrow. I have been working on it 4-5 hours per day for about a week now. Learning alot since this is the first time I've ever used fiberglass. After my hood is completed I will start work on wider fenders, a rear hatch with lexan window and some more aero things. Such as...boat tails behind my tires, etc.

Cheers!

Mmm hard to see it coming together, but oh well. (whistle)

LOTS AND LOTS of sanding + bondo....repeat..(boom01)

Also sand blasted my front struts, MUCH better looking now (wow)

These last 2 pics are the most current... the rest are pretty much random throughout the whole thing.

After fiberglassing down 3 layers onto the aluminum foil, I applied a liberal amount of bondo and began sanding with 50 grit.
I then moved to 80 grit and mixed up a batch of resin and poured it over the entire hood to let it pool into the low area's. Worked decently but I'd probably brush it on next time for filling deep holes that bondo wont really go down enough.

Worked up to 100 grit and would sand everything down, then mix up very small bondo batches and apply with a razor blade to small dents or whatever. Must have repeated this step 30 times literally (eyeballs)

Several layers of primer were applied throughout to help finding ridges better.

After the 100 grit and bondo extravaganza I applied even more primer and wetsanded it with 150 grit, and then 220 grit, primering in between papers.
And that leaves me where I am currently. Surface is very smooth, there are still several small low area's I'll be taking care of them tomorrow with some foundation primer + 220 and 300, then 400 grit paper.
Possibly a dab of bondo if I cant get out some of the "deeper" ones.

THEN...I gotta figure out how to finish the edges and get the aerocatch hood latchs in...After all this work I really despise having to cut holes in it for the latchs, lol
Anyways, not a project for the faint hearted (nervous)

Also picked up some more lexan sheets for my rear hatch which I will probably start after I'm done with the hood.
Zoom zoom!

What does the stock hood weigh compared to where your f-glass hood is now?

LOL, I dont have an actual numbers as of yet. And I still need to put the plastic bracing on the back of it...but if it weighed 5% of my stock hood I would be surprised atm.

Really? That light eh? Please be sure to keep us posted on the weight loss. This could be an interesting future project.

Really? That light eh? Please be sure to keep us posted on the weight loss. This could be an interesting future project.

Absolutely, I'll break out my accurate scales when I'm totally finished. Takes a lot of time but its getting there.

I got 34MPG once. Most of the time I get around 30 or 31, not too bad I guess.

Back