Protege Gas Mileage Thread

Our tanks hold about 15 gallons (I believe), which puts you down around 19 MPG, not 28! Or are they 12 gallons? I don't remember. If it's 12, you're still only getting 22-23 MPG.

I'm averaging 24 with my 2003 LX Auto.

My manual says 13.2 gallons not sure what they would be. I know I get better in the city then I do highway because fifth gear is so short. I'll admit I tend to drive a bit hard though town at time or accelerate harder then I should.

Last edited:
2001 Protege 1.6L
Cat back exhaust, K&N filter, the rest is suspension
129,527 miles
29 mpg on average
Texas

2003 dx manual.
143k on car, 50k on motor. Few odds and ends done. front air dam, strategic piece of tape, fuel cut off switch, taller/skinnier tires, thinner fluids. No ethanol gas. Drive 91miles to/from work 99%highway.

best tank:
602 miles, 13.2 gallons to fill--- 45.6mpg avg

Best Trip:
220miles, 4.2 gallons to fill--- 52mpg

One day our schedules won't interfere and I will get to one of Mikes events. Maybe I will bring the Vw diesel though.

Last edited:
best tank:
602 miles, 13.2 gallons to fill--- 45.6mpg avg

Best Trip:
220miles, 4.2 gallons to fill--- 52mpg
Those are some impressive numbers!

My car definitely get's lousier fuel milage in the winter for sure...

2002 Protege LX, 2.0L, Manual.

Injen CAI, OBX Header, Vibrant High Flow Cat, Mazdaspeed Axel Back.
Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic Oil, 91 Octane gas...

Shifting at 2500 RPM or lower...

Best Milage:
705.5 KM on 52 Litres of Fuel.
Averaging 520-570 KM with more spirited driving and higher rev shifts...

Will switching my oil to 5w20 cause any problems? I know it is thinner, and the Mazda 3's call for it stock...
My sister get's slightly better mileage in her 2007 3... but that is a different car... Anyone know if this will benefit me at all?

2002 p5, 145k miles, turbo'd automatic.....winter gas bites! (sadbanana) see sig for latest #'s

any ideas on how to improve my gas milage?

my 2002 protege Lx 2.0 is an automatic. I was thinking of adding a K&N air intake. Is there anyone who can give me some advice on how to get the best gas milage? The car currently has 40,000 kilometres(24,000 miles)
Thanks

What year/type Protege? 2000 ES 1.8L
Any serious mods? killer air freshener
Car Mileage? 101,*** km
What kind of gas mileage do you get? 350-400 km (all city)
Location? Vancouver Canada

2002 turbo'd auto p5
mix of highway and around town
last fill up: 25.82
see below for avg...

Last edited:
2002 Manual P5: 92,XXX miles

Relevant Mods: Simota CAI, OBX header, Magnaflow Cat-back, MP3 ECU, Ported/VTCS removed stock intake manifold, lowered 1.3 inches, 17x7.5 wheels, fog light delete panels, removed roof rack, no rear interior (if that much less weight helps)

-38lbs of air in the tyres
-93 Octane fuel, 10% or less ethanol
-5w40 Castrol Syntec
-Most shifts under 3k
-Occasional spirited driving in the city
-70mph in cruise on the highway
-Kept in gear when rolling downhill

Average: 30-31mpg highway; 25-27 city

I try a little bit to keep the mileage up. If I get 30mpg out of a tank, I'm happy.

Last edited:
When My 1999 protege 1.8l 5-sp was new I was getting 38mpg consitantly, i change the oil every 2500k,tranny gear oil every year , plugs every season, 35psi in tires((205-front 195-rear)(37psi on road trips)), 70-75mph highway if I can get away with it... I modded the stock intake system by cutting a hole in the grill right in front of the tube on the radiator(gave me good power!) Now though with my dead cat im getting like 25mpg, sucks too because I just cleaned out my egr valve and it idles and runs smoother. I gotta get a header on so I get my power/mpg back! Honestly I think the trick is to wash/wax car often, clean out all the s*** inside truck passenger cabin etc and drive smoothly, as well as use the vent(no fan) with windows closed and it on the defrost or foot positions oddly enough...? oh always check the alighment all around/replace suspension components when there dead and let it warm up/smooth out for a moment as well. Nothing real special about my car... although I did a compression test while trying to figure out the whole flashing CEL deal and the compression was 179psi 1-4! FSM states 150 something I believe!? that and most importantly avoid traffic!!!

Those are some impressive numbers!

My car definitely get's lousier fuel milage in the winter for sure...

2002 Protege LX, 2.0L, Manual.

Injen CAI, OBX Header, Vibrant High Flow Cat, Mazdaspeed Axel Back.
Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic Oil, 91 Octane gas...

Shifting at 2500 RPM or lower...

Best Milage:
705.5 KM on 52 Litres of Fuel.
Averaging 520-570 KM with more spirited driving and higher rev shifts...

Will switching my oil to 5w20 cause any problems? I know it is thinner, and the Mazda 3's call for it stock...
My sister get's slightly better mileage in her 2007 3... but that is a different car... Anyone know if this will benefit me at all?

I run 0w30 in mine. It isn't going to hurt anything to run 5w20. I run auto transmission fluid in the manual trans also, yeah I'm a rebel. If you think those numbers are good, wait till I take the cat. out, put on the mpi, and lean the ever living s*** out of it at cruise. I'm thinking it should take 17-18:1 under cruise without pinging...

Stop using 91 octane fuel and your mileage will get better.

Stop using 91 octane fuel and your mileage will get better.
I look forward to seeing your results!
Why stop using 91 Ocatane? Go Lower? I thought 91 Was Recommended?
I also checked all my air pressures the other day... was low on 3 tires so I put it at 40 PSI all around and am noticing a big difference in the Milage.
5w20 is going in on my next Oil Change which is due now :)

I run 3psi lower than max. stated on tire. Run the lowest octane with the lowest percentage of ethanol avail. A protege def. does not need 91 octane with the stock setup.

20 Protege DX 2.0

CAI
MSP round tip axle back
205/45/16
i get about 350m per tank, average about 26mpg city/highway. Need to change the oil to 5w-20 (running 10w30) and do a timing belt change.

Anything else to help with the mileage?

2000 protege 1.8
no problems
175 000 km
right now in the spring im getting about 9L/100km. In the winter it will be around 12-13L/100km, and in the summer with more highway driving I can get it down to under 7L/100km.

just traded in my 2003 Protege ES
MSP axle-back exhaust, AEM cai, etc.
128,000 mi.

Ever since I took my foot out of the gas a bit (pretty much since my son was born 2 years ago), I had been averaging about 28-29 mpg combined (driving no more than 5 mph over the speed limit, limiting hard acceleration, shifting at or before 3k rpm). I hit 31-33 mpg (mostly highway) several times over the last year prior to trading the car.

Back