Protege 5 or Mazda 3 hatch

Carskick

Hi all. I am new to the forum, and looking forward to joining the community of Mazdas. I am looking for a daily driver that gets good gas milage, a nice ride, quality interior and mechanical, and is fun to auto-x with. I also need a car with the best possible acoustics, as I am putting a high end stereo in, Focal components, Treo Sub in tuned box, etc.

My budget is about $13k, but I'd prefer to spend about $10k. I have loved the Protege 5 ever since it came out, and loved the Mazda3 5-door even more when it came out. It remedied the Protege 5's biggest difficiensy, lack of power. So now I need a great deal on a used Protege 5 or Mazda 3 5-door, and my question is which should I get. I could probably get the Protege 5 for less money, but it will take some modification to make it just as fast as the Mazda3. Handling is also extremely important to me. Which do you guys think handles better?

I plan on keeping this car for almost a decade, so it has to be reliable, and fairly low milage. Am I in the right area as for as what I am looking at? Thanks for all the help. I want to get it before the Mazda meed in Tampa in a few months. BTW, I live in florida, so if anyone knows of some good ones for sale in FL, let me know.

If refinement is more important to you... 3 Hatch.
If handling and feel... slight but definite edge to the P5.

Get a P5 and buy an old Miata with the money you save.

SilverBulletES said:

Werd. (thumb)

Thanks for the assistance. I have decided to go with a new Mazda 3 hatch, as they are not much more than used. I am getting a Brand New Red Mazda3s 5dr out the door for about $18k, including tax, tag, title. Most dealers were talkng about $19k out the door, if not more, but this dealer is having a $1200 sale on all Mazda 3's. I just love the refinement and increaced power of the Mazda3 over the P5, plus I get a full warranty. I am probably buying the car tommorrow, and will officially become part of the Mazda club. It is an 06, and has no options that are not standard, but luckily ABS is on the 06's. If there is anything I should look for on the car before buying, please let me know. I am SO excited. It's just a shame I will have to park the car outside until December when we get a new house with a garage that can accomidate it.

I feel like this right now: (first)

SilverBulletES said:

hell yeahhh i wish i could be doin that

Back