Protege 5 Mazdaspeed Exhaust

habu

:
2003 Mazda PR5
I have a Mazdaspeed axle-back exhaust on my 2003 Protege5. The drone at highway speeds has become annoying to me and my wife. I would really like to trade the system for another performance exhaust system or perhaps a stock '03 PR5 unit. Anyone interested in a trade? OR Can anyone recommend a more quiet performance exhaust system?

That's about as quite as your gonna get. They're plenty of p5 owners that will trade w/ you.

redwagon02 said:
That's about as quite as your gonna get. They're plenty of p5 owners that will trade w/ you.
I was afraid of that. It's hard to know how the exhaust systems compare in terms of noise unless you install several different systems. So, I guess a stock system is my only way to quieter cruising? Someone once suggested applying sound deadening material to my trunk area. Do you know anyone that has tried that approach?

habu said:
I was afraid of that. It's hard to know how the exhaust systems compare in terms of noise unless you install several different systems. So, I guess a stock system is my only way to quieter cruising? Someone once suggested applying sound deadening material to my trunk area. Do you know anyone that has tried that approach?
You can buy dynomat, or a cheaper knockoff, at stereo/car stores. It's sound deadening material used in high-end stereo applications. Wonderful amazing stuff.
You can lay some mat under your carpeting in the trunk, and that will get rid of some of it. You can also lay some under the seats, floor carpet, wherever you think it will do some good.

I have the Sport Exhaust on my p5.. and I love it!! I kept my stock exhaust if you'd like to buy it. :)

I did some research before and a lot of people here is saying that the RacingBeat catback is pretty quiet. They said you can hardly notice the difference yet giving you some push on high-end... just a thought, maybe you can give it a try.

Have a racing beat cat back on my car, LOVE IT. Can barely hear it at normal speeds, but press the throttle and it lets out a nice low growl.

inflames1832 said:
Have a racing beat cat back on my car, LOVE IT. Can barely hear it at normal speeds, but press the throttle and it lets out a nice low growl.
Where do you get the racing beat exhaust?

mountjonas said:
www.racingbeat.com

are you selling your sport exhaust?
I guess I'm going to trade it for a stock axle back system. I don't want to spend $500 on a cat back system for 4.7 hp gain. I'd rather save the money for wheels and tires to improve the horrid wet weather handling.

why did you sell your stock muffler in the first place? why didn't you just keep it in the garage or whatever?

fatmat.com a ripoff

blynzoo said:
You can buy dynomat, or a cheaper knockoff, at stereo/car stores. It's sound deadening material used in high-end stereo applications. Wonderful amazing stuff.
You can lay some mat under your carpeting in the trunk, and that will get rid of some of it. You can also lay some under the seats, floor carpet, wherever you think it will do some good.

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY FATMAT (www.fatmat.com). They charged my card and haven't delivered. I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and I see now that others have had the same problem. If I get my money back or can dispute the charge with Visa then I'll get Dynamat at Tweeters so I have something in my hand as I part with my hard earned cash.

YellowMP5 said:
why did you sell your stock muffler in the first place? why didn't you just keep it in the garage or whatever?
Well, because I bought the car used, and it came on the car. Thus, I don't have the stock exhaust system. If I did, I wouldn't be seeking to trade it.

Duh!

You should really keep the exhaust system.. you'll probably regret selling it / trading it. I have the same exhaust, and I get a little bit of droning too, but instead of getting rid of the exhaust, I would use dynamat or something like that. By the way.. you could get around $100 for your exhaust if you post it in the for sale section.. and you could probably buy a stock exhaust off someone for like.. $20 + shipping or somethin...

ChuEy826 said:
You should really keep the exhaust system.. you'll probably regret selling it / trading it. I have the same exhaust, and I get a little bit of droning too, but instead of getting rid of the exhaust, I would use dynamat or something like that. By the way.. you could get around $100 for your exhaust if you post it in the for sale section.. and you could probably buy a stock exhaust off someone for like.. $20 + shipping or somethin...
I think I may give the dynamat a try. It's becoming clear that a trade / sell might be hard to pull off, as most folks cannot do without an exhaust for the time required to exchange systems. I'm just wondering what kind of SPL reduction I can get with the dynamat. Anyone have a guess?

Back