Protege 5 Instrument Cluster & Wheel Well

Aloger

:
2003Mazda Protege 5
Hi there

I had an accident with my protege 5 :(

I had it fixed but they didnt do such a great job but I have just finding all the problems and going back on monday to give them shiet. First of all they changed the wheel well (the black plastic) I was just wondering if they missed a screw. http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Aloger/

On that site I posted a picture of the wheel well they installed I was wondering if someone could check their 2003 protege 5 and see if they have a hole like mine or does it have a screw in it?

The next question I have regards the instrument cluster mosre specifically the Speedometer. I believe the light is burned out but from 0-100km on the speedometer there is no light it just stays dark but from 120-200km there is light. Is there 2 bulbs behind the speedometer or is my problem somethign else. I only have 40, 000km on my protege and i bought it brand new in 2003 so it is weird for the light to burn out after such little time. Is it hard to pullout the cluster???

Thank you

cluster is not a hard part. but i think you have to soder the lights in??? not sure, but im sure sumone will post a definite answer for ya.
as for the screw im sure it uses a little screw to hold it in place.

No, you can easily replace the bolts on the back of the cluster. I don't recall the exact bulb type but you should be able to take it to any auto parts store and they should know what it is. Just remember to transfer over the orange bulb cover. Nothing overly complex there.

Yeah, you're missing a fastener there- it looks like a phillips screw with a washer..

be happy....i got side swiped and a shop replaced both doors....did not align them...then when i showed them blamed it on me for hanging on them(been 2 days) adn to fix they pounded the hinges..

took my car to progressive and showed them and the manger was so pissed he turned blood red and then took my car to a different shope where it spent another 3 days and got fixed right. progressive brought in the manager from the 1st shop that 'fixed' my car and showed them how do do it right.

sorry for off topic....if your car goes to a shop make sure it's reliable somehow...most like to cut corners and do bad work

^^^^^ not always possible. when i went through insurance for an accident my gf had our company only gave us two choices of shops. We lucked out the one we picked did a bang up job.

To the OP, I would be giving that shop hell unless you were pulling around on plastic they did a horrible job installing it. to be honest it looks like from the pics that they tried to make it fit. It looks like it isn't the right part for the car. JMO/observation

About the cluster it's easy to change the bulb just remove it and the bulbs twist in on the back. On mine all the bulbs for the gauges are brown and the ones for my "idiot lights" are black. If you plan on reusing the orange rubber be very careful taking them off as they like to tear. You could just take the orange off all the bulbs it produces a neat effect. I'll take pics of mine tonight to show you what i mean.

Last edited:
cluster is not a hard part. but i think you have to soder the lights in??? not sure, but im sure sumone will post a definite answer for ya.

You may be thinking about the LED mod... the one I've seen soldered the LEDs into the stock bulb locations for our guage cluster...

Latest posts

Back