Protege 2001 - Horrible random Squeal/Screech only when decelerating

BeigeBandit

:
Mazda Protege LX
Past year I have been having a loud intermittent squeal/screech coming from the front of car, that I only really hear with the windows down but when it happens I feel bad for everyone around me. This sound happens when I am driving lower speeds (could happen at higher but haven't heard it) and starts when I take my foot off the gas and start coasting, it is a constant noise and goes away once I am almost at a stop or going very slow. Soon as I touch the accelerator it disappears, sadly it comes back as soon as I release it. Important to note that I don't hear it often but when it goes it is bad (makes noise when decelerating) until i stop driving.

I have had it in a couple shop and explained the noise but they were perplexed, took a look around and tweaked my belts ( said i had a few things making internal noise A/C, water pump). Put in a new alternator did not stop noise, had a control arm on the passenger side replaced also, no help.
Of course I can never get it to do it consistently or when i'm at the shop.

My only ideas are a belt pulley that is bad, (but I have no idea why it would seize only when I decelerate)
Or I have a front wheel bearing that has come loose in the hub and is rotating freely. I check the wheel often to make sure there is no play.

My brakes are worn down and need replacing now but it is not that noise.
I also have an air leak between the two pipe connection on my exhaust before the converter.

Been driving it like this since last summer, ( don't hear it the winter because windows are closed, or maybe because it is so cold in canada)

Any thoughts or ideas would be a great help, to a frustrated non-mechanic.

Thanks everyone

Back