Prosport gauge in and questionable!

Craighjr

:
2008 STI
I finally installed my boost gauge. I didn't get a chance to tear the dash up to try to fit the gauge inbetween the stereo knobs so its plopped on the column and looks sweet. I'm a bit worried that the cheap price is reflecting why its so cheap already. First off I have seen 20.5psi in 3rd and 4th on hard pulls. Is that way too much boost. Second the warning flash and buzz resets to 23psi on every ignition cycle. And third the gauge seemed to get hung up today and ready 0 at idle and was going past the scale on boost touching the button inside. The gauge reset after 10 minutes being off but wtf? I guess cheap is cheap if any one knows how normal this stuff is let me know.

Craighjr said:
I finally installed my boost gauge. I didn't get a chance to tear the dash up to try to fit the gauge inbetween the stereo knobs so its plopped on the column and looks sweet. I'm a bit worried that the cheap price is reflecting why its so cheap already. First off I have seen 20.5psi in 3rd and 4th on hard pulls. Is that way too much boost. Second the warning flash and buzz resets to 23psi on every ignition cycle. And third the gauge seemed to get hung up today and ready 0 at idle and was going past the scale on boost touching the button inside. The gauge reset after 10 minutes being off but wtf? I guess cheap is cheap if any one knows how normal this stuff is let me know.
maybe the t is messed up somehow? i duno i havent got a prosport gauge yet..gota get the bushings and motor mount inserts first..ive heard few people saw it felt very cheaply made..

there is a new boost sender.. has red black and green wire (not white) if u dont have this one call prosport.. warranted for a year... also make sure your using the filter on your boost/vac tubing or you will break the sender...

dont bother wasting your time trying to fit the guage in the stereo. they dont fit. i wasted about 3 hours today trying to get them in there.

I have the new sender but, I didn't put the little filter inline. I will add that next week when I'm back at work. I doubt that is the issue now. Thanks for the input though. Jflash you had the plastic "mutli control something system" panel by the two black knobs off. Theres a guy who squeezed a Harmon Kordon LCD dispay in there I'm still going to try that install spot for my AEM wideband when I ditch my cats and tune the car. But any insight why it didn't fit will be a help.

yes thats what i had apart. when you take that plate off there is some plastic to trim back but the problem is that the circuit board hangs down into the opening. so you either have to cut into the top of the hvac controls or hack up the guage. after everything is trimmed back you need about another 1/8 of an inch to squeeze them in.

I was just refered to this thread and I thought I might address your concerns. First, if you/anyone are having problems, always feel free to call or email us direct to help troubleshoot your issue. Why do you think the gauge is not accurate?? Do you know what your boost is supposed to be?? RYZ- claims the same boost according to his Blitz.
Second, the reason the gauge resets to 23 psi each time you restart is because you have the gauge installed wrong. Please follow the directions and run the red wire to a CONSTANT 12v source so you can properly set the gauge warning features.
3rd- the Premium Series gauge uses the same stepper motor to drive the gauge as a Defi- so, it is by no means cheap. Don't be confused by the low price. Our gauges have been tested side by side with Defi and they are just as accurate. As you can imagine it helps if they are installed properly. The main reason the prices are so low is because we hardly advertise. This saves a few hundred thousand dollars per year that you (the customer) do not have to pay. We only sponsor 3 vehicles and do not hire models to hand out brochures or be in our pictures. What I am trying to say is you are only paying for the Gauges & customer service.

We have been in the gauge business over 30 years, we make gauge & gauge parts for many OEM customers-all of who you have heard of and know. This is not a new business for us, I think many people do not understand how small this business really is.

As for the boost senders: Yes we changed suppliers-all in an effort to improve our product. Does that mean that all the original senders were bad, of course not. It means that we were getting more than 1% rejects from that supplier and to us that is unacceptable. Industry standard is 3% -

If anyone has any questions or concerns- just call us 727-572-9011 or email us sales@prosportgauges.com we answer every e-mail and every phone call.

I was just refered to this thread and I thought I might address your concerns. First, if you/anyone are having problems, always feel free to call or email us direct to help troubleshoot your issue. Why do you think the gauge is not accurate?? Do you know what your boost is supposed to be?? RYZ- claims the same boost according to his Blitz.
Second, the reason the gauge resets to 23 psi each time you restart is because you have the gauge installed wrong. Please follow the directions and run the red wire to a CONSTANT 12v source so you can properly set the gauge warning features.
3rd- the Premium Series gauge uses the same stepper motor to drive the gauge as a Defi- so, it is by no means cheap. Don't be confused by the low price. Our gauges have been tested side by side with Defi and they are just as accurate. As you can imagine it helps if they are installed properly. The main reason the prices are so low is because we hardly advertise. This saves a few hundred thousand dollars per year that you (the customer) do not have to pay. We only sponsor 3 vehicles and do not hire models to hand out brochures or be in our pictures. What I am trying to say is you are only paying for the Gauges & customer service.

We have been in the gauge business over 30 years, we make gauge & gauge parts for many OEM customers-all of who you have heard of and know. This is not a new business for us, I think many people do not understand how small this business really is.

As for the boost senders: Yes we changed suppliers-all in an effort to improve our product. Does that mean that all the original senders were bad, of course not. It means that we were getting more than 1% rejects from that supplier and to us that is unacceptable. Industry standard is 3% -

If anyone has any questions or concerns- just call us 727-572-9011 or email us sales@prosportgauges.com we answer every e-mail and every phone call.

No offense to you guys buy my guage doesnt read right either. It sits a -2 with the car off, and is about 2 psi off all the way through. I contacted you guys via phone and the lady you have answering calls is CLUELESS. The guage was cheap, so it makes no sense for me to send it back out to you guys and wait for you to either fix it or send me a new one. I took the thing apart, (probably void whatever waranty was on it lol) zeroed out the needle and its better now. WHy are you guys sending out guages that are not evven zeroed out? There have been alot of complaints about this

yes sir. I was off by 2 everywhere. Max psi/idle/startup everything. Hell i cant complain for 36 bucks but at least make sure they are zeroed out.

heres a little video i made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2AEZr3YFr8
This was before i took it apart. As you can see all my readings are low compared to every1 else. At first i though i had a leak somehwere, then i went to the track and ran a good trap and time, so there no leak anywhere. IT was the guage the whoel time.

incase you dont know boost on this car is 15.6 from the factory, i was holding 12-13 sometime 14

BTW: I find it great how you guys actaully come on here and show and stand by your product, so dont take this the wrong way.

Last edited:
i have a similar problem to laloosh with mine boost gauge in my msp.
the gauge doesnt seem to sweep all the way up on startup, and when the car is not running, but is on, the guage reads 2 vac. is this a reading of any value?
im going to disconnect the hose and see what it reads when on, just for kicks and to be sure there isnt some remaining pressure in the line.
if it still reads -2 when i try that i will post it here.

i am less of a jerk than laloosh though, and can appreciate the quality and price combination. so if youre willing to send me another one or diagnose this one, i would appreciate it.
if you have other questions or suggestions you can post here or pm me.
thanks.

i have a similar problem to laloosh with mine boost gauge in my msp.
the gauge doesnt seem to sweep all the way up on startup, and when the car is not running, but is on, the guage reads 2 vac. is this a reading of any value?
im going to disconnect the hose and see what it reads when on, just for kicks and to be sure there isnt some remaining pressure in the line.
if it still reads -2 when i try that i will post it here.

i am less of a jerk than laloosh though, and can appreciate the quality and price combination. so if youre willing to send me another one or diagnose this one, i would appreciate it.
if you have other questions or suggestions you can post here or pm me.
thanks.

Sorry for being honest, i got suckered into thinking this was the greast thing by bulls*** review from fellow memebers, then once i start mentioning problems, every1 else starts mentioning problems. People need to get over their egos and money spent and post actual results, not bulls*** ones. AS for your problem, turst me, once you disconnect the hose you will be at 2 vac as well. It makes no difference. If i you wanna fix it yourself, pry of the silver ring, you will hav eto break it, but the cup the guage comes with hides it anyway. Take out the glass and zero out your needle, once your happy with the results, put the silver ring back on and bend it back into place, cover it up with the cup and reinstall your guage.

LOL...

Jerk or no jerk I'll still help..I know how it can be frustrating getting something to work properly.

Mech. boost gauges are checked before they leave here. as everyone knows anything can happen in shiping!!

exneon- with the key on engine off the pointer should be within 1 psi of 0 depending on your location (altitude affects the reading). It could be your sender is off slightly. They are kind of sensitive to dust/fluid/shock. that is why the filter is important. Like I said earlier, you can give a call or even send in your sender to be checked/replaced.

I understand you guys check everything, but isnt it kinda of odd that alot of the boost gauges, mechnical and electrical have the same problem with being off by 2 when the car is off? Am i right to assume everythign off by two when the guage is not zeroed out? This kinda becomes an issue when you start playing with boost lol, i just want to make sure im withing 1 psi of actually manifold pressure

I have a question and i'd like to verify my gauge's usual behavior with Prosport and other members here. I have the electric boost gauge installed in my Speed3.

At idle, my needle sits somewhere between -20 and -24. Blip the throttle while stopped and the needle will move up to -15, maybe -10. If i really step on the gas, it will move up to 0, maybe a pound or two over.

While driving, say down the highway, the needle sits in the -20 area. Step on the gas in 6th and it slowly creeps it's way up into the boost.

Is this normal?

Under normal or hard acceleration, i see normal peak boost numbers... 5-10psi in first, 10-15psi in second, 15psi in 3rd, maybe a spike up to 17psi. I assumed since i'm showing what seem to be accurate numbers in boost that the rest of the gauge behavior was normal.

Should the needle be pointed at 0 when there's no load on the engine? I'm confused.
Is that normal?

o is when u are at atmospheric pressure (1bar), anything over that is positive pressure (provided by your turbo), anything lower than that is vac, your readings sound just fine

i have a premium series boost gauge and its at least 2-3 psi off it reads about 24 at idle while my tru boost only reads 21 and i know my tru boost is dead on accurate because my old autometer read the same thing. i have the old sender tho maybe i should send it in and get it replaced. o and before anyone asks yes i do have the filter on it

I understand you guys check everything, but isnt it kinda of odd that alot of the boost gauges, mechnical and electrical have the same problem with being off by 2 when the car is off? Am i right to assume everythign off by two when the guage is not zeroed out? This kinda becomes an issue when you start playing with boost lol, i just want to make sure im withing 1 psi of actually manifold pressure

it does not seem odd to me, that out of thousands of gauges 2-3 guys on this board have a boost gauge that may be off by 2 psi. yes you are correct if it starts off 2 psi off then it is 2 psi off. Do you live in a high altitude? The gauge reads relative press.

Listen I do not want to argue with you..if you are not happy with the gauge send it back. I do not want you feel as though you/anyone got "sucker in" as you put it. We can test/fix/replace it for you or just refund your money if that is what you prefer.

it does not seem odd to me, that out of thousands of gauges 2-3 guys on this board have a boost gauge that may be off by 2 psi. yes you are correct if it starts off 2 psi off then it is 2 psi off. Do you live in a high altitude? The gauge reads relative press.

Listen I do not want to argue with you..if you are not happy with the gauge send it back. I do not want you feel as though you/anyone got "sucker in" as you put it. We can test/fix/replace it for you or just refund your money if that is what you prefer.

Like i said im not bashing whatever it is you guys do. Its simply is not worth the effort to send somethign back and wait for a replacement, the thing is 36 bucks, if it was 300 yea id be all over it, but not for 36 dollars. Like i said ive taken it apart and fixed it myselft. Btw its alot more than 2-3 guys that are having this problem. The altitude i live at is 600 feet above sealevel. People on here dont even look at these things. How do i know, when i reported the problem everybody says their car hold 15-16 psi, funny how mine doesnt, and neither does theirs, they are just not looking at it while going wot throttle, they see the orginal reading and post wrong information stating that they hold x psi till redline. Just like people never actually looked at what the gauge reads when the car is off. If anything you guys should take what i say and look into while its happening instead of "arguing" with me. But than again do what you want. I simply dont keep my mouth shout about anything, if somethign is good, i tell people about it, if soemthign isnt, i tell peopel about it. Money spent or not i always state my opinion on things. Sorry that it doesnt agree with yours.

Last edited:
Back