Production Start for Mazda CX-7 Crossover SUV

I think a stock CX-7 is a helluva deal @ $23,750. There are lot of unnecessary 'convenience' options that can push the price into to high 20k range, but 'out of the box' i think it's well equipped (aside from AWD).

CHICO2003 said:
I agree with everything that was said about the Murano...

that said, some people (think typical housewife) don't care about sporty performance. Maybe they just like the way the Murano looks... I'm not sure if this CX-7 will be competing wtih the Murano so maybe it's irrelevant. If it's not, then I suppose it would be competing with the tribute.. which doesn't make any sense. lol so maybe it's creating a whole new segment.

Thats my whole point. The CX-7 is different. Mazda is not afraid to make niche vehicles. I realize that not everyone will want the CX-7 because of its sporty performance, its not the small CUV/SUV for everyone, but for those of us that care about the sporty side the CX-7 has no competition. Mazda doesn't intend for the sales of this vehicle to rival the CRV, RAV4, Escape. Its just a unique niche vehicle, a poor mans FX45.

To answer your second question the new CX-9 that will be out in the fall will compete with the Murano type vehicles. It will have 3 rows of seats and the new 3.5L V6 that has all the lastest fuel mileage technology.

Mazda3 said:
Cosmetics of a vehicle are personal preference. I happen to think the CX-7 looks good from every angle. The bottom line is that the CX-7 will drive circles around a Murano. Murano's 1/4 mile is in the 16's, the CX-7 will be high 14's, not even close. The CX-7 will pull high .8x g's on the skidpad and stop on a dime, The Murano is a dump truck compared to the CX-7. The interior styling and quality will also blow away the cheap Nissan interior. So really the Murano is no competition for the CX-7 if you're looking for something sporty. The Murano is more competition for the Ford Explorer, not the sporty CX-7.

Cosmetics shouldn't figure into whether or not one is "impressed" with a vehicle. I could list a ton of cars (the mini cooper comes tomind) I'd A) never own and B) don't necessarily like that much (from a looks perspective).... but am still impressed with.

CHICO2003 said:
Cosmetics shouldn't figure into whether or not one is "impressed" with a vehicle. I could list a ton of cars (the mini cooper comes tomind) I'd A) never own and B) don't necessarily like that much (from a looks perspective).... but am still impressed with.

It shouldn't, but it does sometimes. Especially with women.

Mazda3 said:
The Murano is a dump truck compared to the CX-7. The interior styling and quality will also blow away the cheap Nissan interior. So really the Murano is no competition for the CX-7 if you're looking for something sporty. The Murano is more competition for the Ford Explorer, not the sporty CX-7.

When I replace my PT Cruiser, I'm thinking this is the competition to the CX-7:

http://www.dodge.com/caliber/caliber_srt4.html

Ok... they're a 'factor' but, let me reword.... If you're not feelin a car's looks, that shouldn't automatically mean you're not impressed with the car as a whole. Take the mini cooper example I gave... Unless its' tricked out, I can't stand the way those things look. but I'm impressed with the engineering that went into them, the resale value they hole as well as the unique styling they posess. I may not like it, but relatively speaking, it's impressive.

What Mazda has here is essentially the vehicle Subaru wish they had built in B9 Tribeca.

CHICO2003 said:
Ok... they're a 'factor' but, let me reword.... If you're not feelin a car's looks, that shouldn't automatically mean you're not impressed with the car as a whole. Take the mini cooper example I gave... Unless its' tricked out, I can't stand the way those things look. but I'm impressed with the engineering that went into them, the resale value they hole as well as the unique styling they posess. I may not like it, but relatively speaking, it's impressive.

What Mazda has here is essentially the vehicle Subaru wish they had built in B9 Tribeca.

I'm not sure if you're following me, I agree with you 100%. Most of the people on this forum are auto enthusiasts who look at things the same way we do. However there are alot of people out there that are swayed heavily by cosmetic preference and may let it cloud their judgement.

Mazda3 said:
The SRT-4 version is not AWD, its a lot smaller, it doesn't have 8" of ground clearance, and it will have dodge quality and fit-n-finish.

I didn't realize the SRT wouldn't be available as AWD. Bummer. Still, it does come with MT. The ground clearance I can live without. As for qualitly, I've had both good (e.g. the PT) and bad (e.g. a Jeep) Chryslers.

I think they did a great job with the CX7. It has a nice sporty look. It doesnt have that tissue box shape that all the American SUVs have. What power plant is it supposed to have? CX7 makes me think rotary?

Mazda3 said:
Cosmetics of a vehicle are personal preference. I happen to think the CX-7 looks good from every angle. The bottom line is that the CX-7 will drive circles around a Murano. Murano's 1/4 mile is in the 16's, the CX-7 will be high 14's, not even close. The CX-7 will pull high .8x g's on the skidpad and stop on a dime, The Murano is a dump truck compared to the CX-7. The interior styling and quality will also blow away the cheap Nissan interior. So really the Murano is no competition for the CX-7 if you're looking for something sporty. The Murano is more competition for the Ford Explorer, not the sporty CX-7.

I disagree with the Murano being competition for the Ford Explorer. In Nissan's lineup the Pathfinder competes with the Explorer, were the Murano competes with the other CUVs like the Toyota Highlander and Ford Edge. I do agree with it not being quick and the interior being cheap shiny slippery plastic Nissan is know for. I do believe the next Murano will be more of a competitor for the CX-7 with a boost in hp, maybe 300hp.

showtege said:
I think they did a great job with the CX7. It has a nice sporty look. It doesnt have that tissue box shape that all the American SUVs have. What power plant is it supposed to have? CX7 makes me think rotary?
detuned version of the MS6 2.3 turbo

Detuned thats to bad.

hey! there he is!

I never left fool. Nice quote (deadhorse it looks like you still have no life. Its always nice to see the mods set a good example. your top notch. (first)

Sorry I'm late jumping in here but I've been out of pocket for quite a while. I see there are quite a few comparisons to the Murano made here and just wanted to throw in my two cents. I was excited about the announcement of the CX-7 because my wife and I just had our second son and were quickly outgrowing our Audi A4. I did my research and while the CX-7 was compelling it didn't make the cut. I know... I've never even seen or driven one, but on paper it wasn't worth waiting around for. It didn't fit the need. For us, the Murano did. I see a lot of performance numbers being tossed about. I guess if you're planning on taking your SUV (CUV, whatever you want to label it as) to the track this would be important. To me this is the other end of the spectrum from the full on "off road" capabilities of other SUVs. For most people it will never be used... only bragged about. The Murano for us had all the options we were used to in the Audi (and then some) plus had the extra room for conveniently hauling two kids around every day.

I've never understood why people have to bash brand Y because they currently drive or like brand X. Except for Honda and Toyota who's soul-less vehicles would probably make me fall asleep at the wheel and die and horrible flaming death... just kidding... I won't bash them... I just don't care for them and would choose many other vehicles over theirs. I've always been partial to VWs and German cars but over the years have found several Japanese cars to my liking and have owned or still own a Maxima, 2 Miataie, and a Protege5.

I'm just saying that if you discount a car because it's made by the brand you're supposed to hate because you currently drive something else you are missing the point of competition. Do you think the CX-7 would have been made if it weren't for the Murano? Somebody out there was saying I'd like an SUV like the Murano but it's just not sporty enough... Mazda answered. We were just looking to emphasize the U not the S in SUV.

<smart ass comment>Didn't realize 150 lbs. made a dump truck's worth of difference.</smart ass comment>

There I'm off my soapbox. Hope there's no hard feelings... wasn't looking to bash anyone... everyone has an opinion, I just expressed mine. (boom07)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back