Problems..

grease_monkey

:
2002 Protege5 & 1973 Chevrolet Nova
I got a 2002 P5 and it was my friends who lived with me for a while and we helped buy the car but after he moved out thanks to some complications we took the car back. Also its an Auto Trans and he drove it horribly. When we did a transmission service there were teeth off of gears stuck to the magnet. Anyway I replaced the drive axles on both sides and I noticed that the driver side axle was making a metal noise. So we took the nessesary parts off in order to take the axle out and it wouldn't budge. I talked to autozone and this transmission is the same as the Ford Focus transmission which tend to have a weak transmission. Basically I have been told that the spider gears in the differential housing are broken around the snap ring holding onto the drive axle. I have been told there is a kit to fixing this but i was wondering approx. how much this would cost compared to a $1200 transmission and if it would be difficult if anyone has already done this. I personally am not all that experience in front wheel drive jap cars sinceother car is a '73 Chevy Nova with approx. 360-370 horses :) Anyway if anyone has experienced this or has any help to offer i'd love to hear it. Thanks.

The P5 tranny is NOT the same as a Focus.
And depending ano whats brokes will depend on how much the reapir will cost.

Well I wasn't sure it's just what I have heard. I have not researched into it very much. Especially since this just happened tonight. Anyway also either doing the kit or replacing the tranny they both will require removing the engine, so if anyone has any experience in removing this particular engine I would love to hear anything you have to say.

You do not need to remove the engine to remove the tranny....
Where are you getting this info at? (headshake

And not to be an ass..But if you have a 360HP car..I would hope you had some mechanical sense...But I guess it just goes to show, anyone can buy something.

I'm just saying what I was told. I haven't gotten down and looked at it too much yet so just calm down before you become critical. Also 360hp is very easy to achieve on a V8 than a 4cyl. So don't start pointing fingers just yet.

I'm just saying what I was told. I haven't gotten down and looked at it too much yet so just calm down before you become critical. Also 360hp is very easy to achieve on a V8 than a 4cyl. So don't start pointing fingers just yet.
I have had my fair share of V8's...And Any half assed mechaninc should know that almost every car on the planets tranny can be removed without pulling the engine.

I guess I shouldnt expect much when you come in and in your first post...call these jap cars and boast of your high HP V8.

(stooges)

BTW....Dont take it personal..I am just an ass..ask around.

Well most can be pulled without removing the engine that's true. Sometimes it's easier to pull the whole thing, and in this case since the axle is jammed i just figured i'd pull the whole damn thing.

ya that was wrong of me. I wasn't trying to say it as a bad thing. It's just i'm not used to newer cars thats all and 360hp really isn't all that much.

Haha ya I can be also sometimes. And you probably know alot more than I do. I mean i'm just a senior in high school. I still got a lot to learn but I know more than most at my age. Well compared to all the other kids at my school.

is the axle even connected to the transmission... cuz i don't think the axle is directly connected to the transmission when it comes to the 5 speed.. recently did a motor swap and the transmission came out without removing the motor... LOL or was it the other way around... Haha... took the motor out without removing the trans.. but when putting the motor back in... it was way easier to take the trans out... bolt back up to the motor... and then drop it back in... the axle is not directly connected to the transmission or is it... damn im tired

BTW....Dont take it personal..I am just an ass..ask around.

Last edited:
The axles insert into the differential housing. The problem is that the spider gears are broken and are clamped down into the axle and have broken the snap ring so we cannot remove the axle from the transmission.

I got a 2002 P5 and it was my friends who lived with me for a while and we helped buy the car but after he moved out thanks to some complications we took the car back. Also its an Auto Trans and he drove it horribly. When we did a transmission service there were teeth off of gears stuck to the magnet. Anyway I replaced the drive axles on both sides and I noticed that the driver side axle was making a metal noise. So we took the nessesary parts off in order to take the axle out and it wouldn't budge. I talked to autozone and this transmission is the same as the Ford Focus transmission which tend to have a weak transmission. Basically I have been told that the spider gears in the differential housing are broken around the snap ring holding onto the drive axle. I have been told there is a kit to fixing this but i was wondering approx. how much this would cost compared to a $1200 transmission and if it would be difficult if anyone has already done this. I personally am not all that experience in front wheel drive jap cars sinceother car is a '73 Chevy Nova with approx. 360-370 horses :) Anyway if anyone has experienced this or has any help to offer i'd love to hear it. Thanks.

I am not here to down you or anything like that, but whatever you do never ask anyone who works at Autodork anything about a vehicle. Those jackasses usually can't find the right part with a computer let alone tell you off the top of their head what is the matter with your vehicle.

If you need to know something about that tranny, ask your local dealer or tranny shop.

If needed, you could probably find a good used tranny in a salvage yard.

That's smart. As I said it happened last night so i haven't had any time to research anything yet. That's part of the reason I put it out on here to get some feedback. And to Tom03es thank you for clearing that up.

While they aren't exactly the same, they are surprisingly similar.

Check out Lentech:
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/fwdmodels.html

What the guy at Autozone told you, is 100% correct.

This thread has alot of good info and links:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123673640

The operative word in this response is "similar" they are not exactly the same. You might want to get confirmation on this, but I don't think they are interchangable. When something is similar that does not me they are the same.

The best place to start might be to pull out the passenger side axle and see if that frees something up in order to pry the drivers side out. You may have just broke the snap ring. You will have to get the axle out one way or another.

True. Parts are not always the same. For when he talked about the Focus and the Protege5 being the same he was talking mostly about the occuring problem in both the Cars. Same basic design problems. But thank you.

That makes sense. I just replaced both the axles but does anyone know if pulling both of them out at the same time can cause any kind of problem?? I wanna say i remember reading about that somewhere. Also if anyone has looked, is it possible to see the driver side axle while looking thru the hole? If so maybe I can insert some kind of blunt metal to pound it out from that side. Bu as of right now, that axle is not moving. i had a rope attached to the axle and the rope attached to a metal bar with me and my friend pulling as hard as we could...it didnt even budge. That snap ring is screwed.

Best way is to have the axle still attached to the hub and bang like hell on the back of the hub with a heavy ass rubber mallot. And pry with a crowbar right at the tranny. I don't think the ring is broken. There's just a technique to it and it's a b****!

I'm pretty sure you don't want to pull both axles at once or the ring gear will come apart if it rotates. I was just saying maybe you could see something by coming in from the other side. But like I said I don't think you have a problem just didn't have enough of a blunt force to pop that clip out!

Well i pulled the old axle out with not too much trouble and after putting this new one in the axle is making a horrible grinding noise. And the pulling it out part, ya we know how to take them out i did it before. This one has to be jammed. We had enough force on the pry bar in order to bend it and have it fly across the garage. lol

Ya me too. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those spider gears are totally fried. The guy who owned it before me Neutral dropped it all the time(auto trans) and the magnet in the trans pan had teeth off of gears stuck to it...something is wrong. But i appreciate the help. =)

Back