Problems with msp need help!

huminuh

:
2003.5 msp
For starters I have little car knowledge. I know how to check the oil, change a tire, a few other very basic things nothing else. I have some major problems with my msp and it's really taking away from the driving experience.

Every morning when I start my car white smoke billows out my exaughst and keels billowing until it's warmed up, then it whispers it's way out until I'm pull out of my drive way and start driving, then it pushes the rest out until finaly there is no smoke.

I have a new oil leak on the passenger side that I don't know what is from.

There is a ticking metal on metal noise when I'm cruising down the road, if I press the gas it stops but if the peddle is steady it makes noise.

I'm burning through alot of oil so I keep refilling my engine about every other week. More in the summer but it's been colder.

Whenever I fill my gas tank up my car doesn't want to start on the first turn so I have to keep it turned until it finally starts but rpms slowly go up at 100 rpm at a time until it's at a normal 900rpm.

The turbo is at 5 psi and I've been told that I need a new one.

If anybody has any information they could give me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm the only msp in my town!

Is it white or blue smoke? Make sure to take a look at yout turbo if it is covered in oil, could be bad seals.

White smoke generally means burning coolant, which could be very bad. However, in cold weather I usually have a lot of white smoke come out for a few minutes after starting the car and that's normal and nothing to worry about. Just check your coolant level to make sure it isn't dropping.

Oil loss is something that happens a lot on these cars, and there are a bunch of potential causes. Start with the easy stuff. Visually inspect the underside of the car to see if you can spot an oil leak, like from your drain plug, oil filter, valve cover, etc. I also consumed about a quart every 700-1000 miles until I replaced my clogged PCV valve. If you pop the engine cover off the top of the engine, you can see a short black valve sticking into the valve cover in the rear-middle. Pull it out, and shake it. It should "clank" pretty easily, kind of like rattling a can of spray paint. There is a piece that moves back and forth in there. If it doesn't, buy a new one and keep an eye on your oil level.

If you have been told you need a new turbo, that could definitely be the cause. The turbo has an oil line run to it, and if the seals in the turbo are bad oil will run out of the turbo and into your intake piping. You can lose a lot of oil this way, but it's easy to check for. Pull off the bottom intercooler pipe and see if there is oil residue (more than a slight film). Oil tends to settle there if the turbo is leaking. The intercooler is the small ~8" wide thing that looks like a radiator and is attached to the driver's side of the actual radiator. It has one pipe running from the turbo into the top, and another running out the bottom and to the back of the engine. Since you mentioned your turbo is bad, this seems like a likely cause of oil loss.

It seems you have a lot of problems... do you have a check engine light on? If so, and you can have it read somewhere, that will help diagnose a lot of problems.

You are burning a lot of oil, you need to take the car to a professional that you trust. Start with pulling the hot pipe to check for oil, do a compression test.

Back