Problem With My Msp

Daniel

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I installed a new Injen cold air intake. The car idled fine for five minutes. Then as I drove down my driveway the engine died on me. Then it will crank but wont stay running. Sometimes it will stay running for a minute or so. The engine sounds like it is getting way to much air and not enough fuel. Shouldn't the computer fix the ratio? Does anybody know how I could fix it or what I need to try?

Yes. I double checked everything and am almost positive everything was done right.

yeah, make sure everything is in tight like it should be and everything is hooked back up. if it is getting too much air and not enough fuel it's not because of the injen, it's because something that monitors the amount of air is messed up or there is a leak somewhere. no intake alone will suddenly make it so you're outflowing your fuel capacities. maybe you broke the maf while installing it

are you throwing a cel?

MAF backwards ? Or the BPV not hooked back into the intake tact? This is an open BPV while at idle, it only closes when positive pressure is applied to it.(thats boost) :D

Try This

I learned this trick years ago working on Mustangs.

Disconnect the Negative Lead on the battery. Let it sit for about 5 mins or depress the brake pedal down for a couple of seconds. This ensures the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) is dumped.

Reconnect the Negative lead on the battery. Start your car and let it idle for 5 minutes. During that time, do not rev the motor, just lest it idle. This will help the PCM relearn idle strategies with your new configuration.

Yeah, your radio settings get dumped, but if it solves your stalling problems, it's worth it.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanx for the tips. But I know that the MAF is installed in the right direction. But maybe there is a leak somewhere. I tried taking the negative lead off the battery. And all that did was piss my alarm system off. It's pitch black dark outside so I'll have to weight until the morning to really look at it.

I also have a Joespmbc fuel pressure reducer I need to install. Could you tell me how exactly it works. I know it's supposed to fix the lag, but how does it physically do it.

Daniel i have the injen cai too. you will have to drill a hole in your cai to install the FPR kit it works sometimes but not all the time you can try it but once you drill the hole you cant fix it so its up to you. Did you get the MBC also? The CAi sounds awesome very loud sucking noise of air coming in to the turbo great power too.

It sounds awesome. But to bad the turkey has gotten louder. I guess I need to swap it out with a HKS SSQV or a Greddy. Anyways I got the the problem fixed and it runs great now. I just don't know about installing the FPR. And what do you mean it works sometimes but not all the time. Could you be a little more specific. No the only thing I've bought from Joe is the FPR, but I do have a APEXI cat-less downpipe on order, and I can't wait to get it on the car. It's supposed to give more than 10 horses at the wheel.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DRILL!!!! I don't know how many times I have posted this, but I was the first one on this board to have the injen, and I posted pics about the process of installing the FPR kit with it. Just take off the connector that connects the maf to the lower injen pipe(goes to the turbo), and poke a very small hole in it with a small drill bit or nail. Now, take your elbow that is supplied with the kit, and shove it thru the hole, easy. Connect the rest of the kit like it says and you're done:) I'll see if I can find that pic somewhere.

dsc00235small.jpg

Hope this helps:)

for some reason, i don't think you were the first on this board to have the injen, unless you were another prototype car :)

Daniel said:
I also have a Joespmbc fuel pressure reducer I need to install. Could you tell me how exactly it works. I know it's supposed to fix the lag, but how does it physically do it.

If I remember correctly, JoeP made the FPR to help with the Stumble problems before Mazda came out with the flash. Some people who got the flash done then removed the FPR. The stumble was being caused by an overly rich A/F ratio. The reduced fuel pressure helped reduce the A/F ratio. The flash advanced the timing curve in parts of the RPM range, so you may not want to reduce the fuel pressure if you car has been flashed.

Normally, the word "Lag" is used in reference to the time it takes for the turbo to spool up. The longer the spool up time, the greater the lag.

Did you ever do the idle trick?

check the coupler that connects the turbo to the injen inlet. make sure that the injen is secure inside. mine had popped off and car did the same thing you are saying.

Thats exactly what I want to know. I don't want to install the damn thing if it doesn't work all the time like ZMY BY U says. And thans for the pics 505zoom. Thats a great idea.

Oh, and to anser ARUNTO as it turns out thats exactly what mine did. I would have seen if I had a flashlight. It's hard to get a cigarette lighter in there without burning my fingers off.

Latest posts

Back