Problem with HID install

Superprotege

11.6 @ 30 psi
:
394 whp @26 psi 02 Lx
I recently purchased a H4, 6000K HID Kit from the Xenon Shop. I tried to install the kit today (my car is a 02 Lx) but I encountered a problem. The first thing I noticed was that the wire that connects from the ballast to the headlight power supply socket has a 2 prong connector while the headlight power supply has a 3 prong connector. This left me with only 2 possible connection positions. In 1 position, the bulb did not light, in the other position, the bulb lit but it only flashed, it never stayed on continuously. I think I have burnt the bulbs out because, neither of them flash/flicker any more.

Questions:
Is H4 the right one for my car(02 protege Lx)?
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Last edited:
I just installed H4's in my 01 MP3 with no problems. The 3 prongs are for High Beams, IIRC. If you didn't get a High beam equipted HID set up, then it's fine. I matched up the middle sideways prong up on mine.

prongs look like this, right:

_ _ _
| | I matched it up to the ballast the same way: | | | |

Check your fuses, maybe you blew out a fuse.

Mine, with my newly installed yellow foglight bulbs as well :D

1.jpg

Update

blue-sun said:
I just installed H4's in my 01 MP3 with no problems. The 3 prongs are for High Beams, IIRC. If you didn't get a High beam equipted HID set up, then it's fine. I matched up the middle sideways prong up on mine.

prongs look like this, right:

_ _ _
| | I matched it up to the ballast the same way: | | | |

Check your fuses, maybe you blew out a fuse.

Mine, with my newly installed yellow foglight bulbs as well :D

1.jpg

I just finishing confirming that the bulbs are not burnt by connecting a wire directly from the battery to the 2 prong connector from the ballast. Both bulbs only arch/flash when I touch the wire on and off the battery terminal. I checked the other ballast to see if I would get a different result but the bulbs just arch/flashes, never staying on. I can see one ballast or bulb being bad but both bulbs and both ballast are bad, no, there must be something I am not doing right. Help!!!!!!!

Blue-Sun, thanks for your imput, I connected the 2 prong wire from the ballast to the headlight socket sideways like you mentioned also but the bulb only arched/flashed initially but now it only archs/flashes when the wire is connected directly from the battery to the wire from the ballast. I opened the fuse box, neither the high beam or low beam fuse is blown. I remove the low beam fuse like the instruction states but realized (kept the regular bulb in on the other side) that this just creates an open circuit and there is no power to the headlight. I am tired of fooling with this, I taught this thing was plug in and play.

Help

Superprotege said:
I just finishing confirming that the bulbs are not burnt by connecting a wire directly from the battery to the 2 prong connector from the ballast. Both bulbs only arch/flash when I touch the wire on and off the battery terminal. I checked the other ballast to see if I would get a different result but the bulbs just arch/flashes, never staying on. I can see one ballast or bulb being bad but both bulbs and both ballast are bad, no, there must be something I am not doing right. Help!!!!!!!

Blue-Sun, thanks for your imput, I connected the 2 prong wire from the ballast to the headlight socket sideways like you mentioned also but the bulb only arched/flashed initially but now it only archs/flashes when the wire is connected directly from the battery to the wire from the ballast. I opened the fuse box, neither the high beam or low beam fuse is blown. I remove the low beam fuse like the instruction states but realized (kept the regular bulb in on the other side) that this just creates an open circuit and there is no power to the headlight. I am tired of fooling with this, I taught this thing was plug in and play.

Any sugestion/direction here, I am considering returning this kit but I don't want to do that and fine out that the kit was okay and I was doing something wrong, plus I would waste money and time to sent it back and get a new kit. I am considering reversing the direction of the wires (in the ballast two prong connector) after I test it again with a wire directly from the battery but instead of connecting the positive wire from the battery to the red wire from the ballast, I am going to connect it to the black wire. I am fearful thought that this may burn the bulb or the ballast. I am desperate for the kit to work so I will try anything.

Superprotege said:
I recently purchased a H4, 6000K HID Kit from the Xenon Shop. I tried to install the kit today (my car is a 02 Lx) but I encountered a problem. The first thing I noticed was that the wire that connects from the ballast to the headlight power supply socket has a 2 prong connector while the headlight power supply has a 3 prong connector. This left me with only 2 possible connection positions. In 1 position, the bulb did not light, in the other position, the bulb lit but it only flashed, it never stayed on continuously. I think I have burnt the bulbs out because, neither of them flash/flicker any more.

Questions:
Is H4 the right one for my car(02 protege Lx)?
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
whats up men, i think you will need capacitors to avoid that flickering on the lights, its weird cause all the mazda cars didnt need it. The proof that the kit is good is that you connected directly to the battery and works without any problem, so we need to check that connector to the car.

BlakeCTX said:
Question will h7 fit the sedan, xenon shop sent me an h7 kit :'(
hi there men, yes check your pm, we saw that you posted on the payment progete in 7000k, so we were thinking on the dual beam headlight!!!. Sorry about that, thats why is important to put the year and the car on the payment, and of course our mistake was not to ask.(poke)

I would like to place an order, for some hid's for the mazdaspeed protege sedan. Is the price still the same? I would also like to know your personal preference on color. Send me an email addy to paypal i got money in the bank hit me back up!

This was the PM I sent you, it stated Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan. I Understand I didnt post h4. Like I said in my email it was a mistake on both our parts. I would just like to get this taken care of.

Superprotege said:
Any sugestion/direction here, I am considering returning this kit but I don't want to do that and fine out that the kit was okay and I was doing something wrong, plus I would waste money and time to sent it back and get a new kit. I am considering reversing the direction of the wires (in the ballast two prong connector) after I test it again with a wire directly from the battery but instead of connecting the positive wire from the battery to the red wire from the ballast, I am going to connect it to the black wire. I am fearful thought that this may burn the bulb or the ballast. I am desperate for the kit to work so I will try anything.

Superprotege,

When you turned on your lights, did you turn your lights on completely ?
I don't know if your car has daytime running lights but most HID kits flash on the DRL's so you have to disable them.

I have a set of H4's on my protege right now. It is a high/low kit since on the 99-00 the highbeams and low beams are in one bulb.

You mentioned that you have an '02 LX. Both your Highs and lows are H4 bulbs I just can't remember off the top of my head if they both run off one bulb (the main one) or not.

This could be the source of one of the problems.

I'd be glad to help you out if you have any more questions.

Also I checked my ignitors today, and had them plugged up wrong, try diffrent plug configs, I did they would flash every once in a while, but when I finally plugged them in right, everything worked like a charm.

BlakeCTX said:
Also I checked my ignitors today, and had them plugged up wrong, try diffrent plug configs, I did they would flash every once in a while, but when I finally plugged them in right, everything worked like a charm.
Great!!!! post some pics then, here and the xmas thread.:)

Well I cant put them on my car without proper Bulbs.....remember they dont fit into the spot for the bulbs cause they are h7

Protege2886 said:
I have a set of H4's on my protege right now. It is a high/low kit since on the 99-00 the highbeams and low beams are in one bulb.

You mentioned that you have an '02 LX. Both your Highs and lows are H4 bulbs I just can't remember off the top of my head if they both run off one bulb (the main one) or not.

Yes, the H4's are low/high in one bulb. The HID kit in my car is a low only, so when I flash my highbeams the HID's turn off. It's a slight price to pay, but worth it IMHO.

I'd rather have HID lows and no highs than no HIDs and low and high. I couldn't spring for the low/high HID's when I picked up my HID's.

In that case, I would say that this is the main source of the problem. Superprotege has a low beam only kit (which explains which the prongs don't match up) and I am assuming that the flashing is just attributed to the DRLs

Still having Problem with HID s

Xenon-Shop. said:
whats up men, i think you will need capacitors to avoid that flickering on the lights, its weird cause all the mazda cars didnt need it. The proof that the kit is good is that you connected directly to the battery and works without any problem, so we need to check that connector to the car.

My HID are still not staying on and are still flashing/arching when they I connect them directly to the battery or to the headlight connectors. Something weird is happening though, when I connect both sides of kit, neither bulb archs/flashes but when I connect only 1 side and leave the regular bulb in other side, then the bulb will arch/flash. This phenonom occurs when the sides are recversed or the bulbs+ballast combination is changed. I don't know what to make of this so I have stop fooling with the kit. Sebastian/Xenon Shop indicates that I may need a capacitor or I should check the headlight connector but the headlights work fine. They are 55W and the HID kit is 35 W so there should be less load on the battery, why do I need a capacitor? I have also tried removing some of the load from the battery by removing the 2 amps for the sound system and the 55w foglights but that still does not get the HIDs to stay on. I have tried starting the car and then connecting the HIDs directly to the battery and to the headlight connector but the HIDs still don't stay. Has anyone had any issues like this because I don't know what else to do.

Back