Prince Valorum's 95 626 Build Thread

3pm-9pm today....truck is 99.99% reassembled! And that was with a few household related breaks, mowed the lawn, and took care of an ant problem in one of the bathrooms. lol

Seriously, if our government were full of people that busted s*** out like you do, we wouldn't be in debt right now with both hands up our butt. We'd be out colonizing the friggin galaxy.

Oh, and Ivan, that steam cleaner was the bomb. I can't imagine doing tint without it.

To put better tint on. lol

Wes' tint was purple, because it was applied in 1992. And Evan's isn't dark enough.

Well, the stuff on my P5 was cheap, applied poorly and has a bunch of stickers burnt into it. Ack.

So, had the truck home for a few days. Already got to use it, for the super legit use of hauling a whole sheet of 4x8 plywood! Yeargh!

IMG_0509-1.jpg

I asked Josh to buff up the tail lights for me as well. Needless to say, they pretty much look new now!
IMG_0511.jpg

Honestly, the most depressing part of getting it back was realizing that this is just the beginning. The whole time I had the wrong mindset. I was like "yeah, I can't wait for it to be done." It's not done. It never will be done. None of our cars are ever done! This is only the beginning. There's still so much that it needs, and it's all expensive....

Also!

IMG_0510-1.jpg

Holy rotor batman!
IMG_0505.jpg

Did you get it cleaned up yet? hahaha

Let me know about that lock. If a few shots of spray doesn't work, I can (or tell you how to) pull the lock cylinder out and we can let the whole thing sit submerged in penetrating fluid. Get in there nice and DEEP like!

06 Mazda 6, they're StopTech, from what Evan's told me. They have a bit of flash rust, but I can still see the cross hatching on them, so I'm 99% sure they're brand new! New calipers, as well, and they're apart and ready for powder coating. He threw in his Mazda 6 rears that were from the junkyard as cores, so I need to trade those in for remans, get rotors for the rear and pads all around, plus some SS lines, and high temp fluid and I'll be all set to slam my face into the steering wheel when I jab the middle pedal!

Evan is upgrading his front sway on his P5 to the one from an MSP. I of course was wondering if it'll fit mine as well. From my preliminary looking, it looks like the bar is roughly the same shape (it's hard to tell with mine still installed). The stock P5 front sway is 23mm. The MSP bar is 25mm, and from the weight appears to be solid. I measured mine, and was getting somewhere between 25.6 and 26mm (not entirely sure if it's even totally round), but due to the bends, I now think it's hollow. Can anyone confirm this? I think the MSP bar might still be an upgrade, though slightly smaller in diameter, because it's solid.

Also, I'm looking to get rid of the clunk, that I think is from the control arm bushing(s). King6 is out of the shop for the next few months, and his kit appears to be the only one available for the control arm bushings. I don't think Energy Suspension has put together an off the shelf kit for us. I'm considering getting some control arms from Rock Auto, taking my own measurements, and then ordering the bushings directly from Energy Suspension. Any comments on this approach? Would you get the cheapest ones, since I'll be replacing the bushings anyway, or would you still get the Moogs? They're about double the price of the Dorman's.

The hunt for parts draws to almost a close. I just need a few odds and ends like o2 sensors and other piddly stuff like that. Recent purchases:

L1040150.jpg

thermo spacers

L1040158.jpg

Well scratch that about the headers and thermo spacers. Apparently the seller got a pm from some guy offering twice what he listed them for, so despite the fact that I'd already paid him and he'd sent me a tracking number, he canceled the shipment and sold them to the other guy.

I have the worst luck buying things, I really don't get it.

On another note, I'm reconsidering keeping the power steering. I mentioned the idea to my friend and he was very adamantly against it. He was on his own anti-p/s kick for a while and I guess drove two cars they got in at the dealership on trade with manual racks and hated them both. I don't really have an opportunity to drive a car with a similar weight to mine and a manual rack to see if I like it. The UDP I already have should help out with some of the parasitic loss, and should (I'd think/hope in theory) also give the steering more feel since it's less powered. I'm still leery of the p/s pump on the motor. The seller replaced it with an Autozone remanned unit, which is essentially a very used pump with one new part (the one that failed when it was turned in under warranty). Though they have a lifetime warranty, you end up replacing them every year or so as they fail again. I don't want to monkey with it on the back of the motor, so I may look into an OEM remanned unit.

Just the stupid power steering lines made me want to delete the PS. That was such a hassle.

But that really sucks about the headers and spacers... Just can't catch a break, little buddy...

Does the line fit your power steering reservoir? Perhaps yours is different/easier than mine. You and Peaches always say "Cut it." so you should practice what you preach. :p

Does the line fit your power steering reservoir? Perhaps yours is different/easier than mine.

I haven't tried it yet. I wasn't about to take it off and take it over to my engine bay to see if it fits. It's designed for that car, so I don't see why not, though.

Well, it's been a while..

Not too much going on, been amassing quite a pile of parts for the swap. One thing I totally neglected to consider was the amount of room required to actually store everything before the swap actually happens. I know I'm doing a lot of other stuff besides just the motor, but it's really starting to add up, haha. I want to fill the driveway with everything and take a pic. :D

Still have lots of other pics to upload in the time since the last update, but this is one of my faves. I forgot to switch the camera into RAW, but it's an HDR nonetheless, albeit not a very eye-popping one! :D I think it looks like it could be out of an old ad.

Cliff_HDR2.jpg

Back