Pricey Oil Changes!

Do most dealerships use Moly oil for their synthetic oil changes? Or, do you have to specifically ask for it?

Thanks!

From what I understand most dealerships use Castrol. You can ask for the Moly oil but they might not have it and there isn't really any way to guarantee you're getting it unless you see them pouring it in.

Usually Mazda dealer can order any parts and make them available the next day. Call the second dealer first, and have them order Thai oil filter if they don't have it in stock.

Japanese oil filter is made by Tokyo Roki; Thai oil filter is made by Denso; but nobody knows who makes the Mexican oil filter. Some suspect Wix because Wix 57002 specially designed for SkyActiv-G is from Mexico. But they physically look different and it can't be Wix.

Now I'm on a mission to figure out who makes the Mexican oil filter!

From what I understand most dealerships use Castrol. You can ask for the Moly oil but they might not have it and there isn't really any way to guarantee you're getting it unless you see them pouring it in.

Whats the big difference between Castrol Synthetic and Moly? Will Castrol protect ok?

Why are Mazda's oil changes priced so high? My housemate received a dealership ad in the mail advertising oil changes are $39.95 for his CRV. Mine was $59.95.

Yes: Castrol, Mobil1 and any other GL-5 oil and a quality filter will meet all the requirements. You will not harm your engine in any way.
But let's not ruin a good obsess on oil thread. I'll add a bit of info to continue the debate. Really I'm torn between using a quality filter and any synthetic GF-5 oil and going with the OEM fill.
One thing for sure: Mazda dealers either have to charge for this magic moly enhanced fluid or you are simply getting a good 0w20 synthetic.
Some deals (if you can call a $50-60 diy oil change a deal):
- Mazmart oil change kit special $39 before tax and shipping - but shipping will probably kill you unless you live close
- Amazon sells the Mazda factor fill ZEPRO (Idemitsu) 30010095-95300C020 Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0W-20 Engine Oil $44 and some change - free shipping if you are a prime member. This is the stuff in a 5 quart jug without the Mazda label.
Is it worth it? Probably not - but if you diy then you can claim some saving over dealer prices for the same service. And, maybe you have the balls to go to a 10K mile OCI.

Whats the big difference between Castrol Synthetic and Moly? Will Castrol protect ok?

Castrol is just fine, as is any other GL-5 oil (most if not all major brands). The big difference is that the Mazda oil has around 600 ppm of Molybdenum in it which is an extremely high amount of a great anti wear additive. Castrol has very little Molybdenum, but it has plenty of other anti wear additives instead of Molybdenum.

I'm obsessive about oil because I'm a car nut, which is the only reason I'm going to such trouble for the Mazda oil. I'd have no issues using the regular Castrol Edge or any other good synthetic. I'm just weird about oil :)

I spent a little time casually looking online to see if I could find a similar filter to the Mexico made one. So far the closest thing I've found is from Mahle. If you look up Mahle OC-711, it isn't the same but has some similar features. The baseplates are nearly identical. The gasket is the same (not the crimped rounded type), they have the same finish, semi gloss black with white lettering, and they are both made in Mexico.

The noticable differences are the baseplates to canister crimping method, and the length of the filter. Obviously I can't see the internals without cutting one open or having one in hand, but I'm wondering if it may be made by Mahle. I'm still going to continue looking.

Wow, what a difference between dealerships. I returned the two filters and crush washers to the first dealership today. They took forever to actually get to me (no one was in front of me), and once they did gave me a scoff and eyeroll over having to do a return.

Then i went to the second dealer and got just one filter and crush washer. I asked if they had the Thailand filters and the counter guy said they haven't had them for a while. He said he thought they could maybe still order them, but they've been using the Mexican filters exclusively for several months. I need the oil change sooner than later, so I just went with the Mexican filter he had in stock. Prices before tax from the two dealerships-

Dealer A-
Filter- $11.82, Crush Washer- $2.22

Dealer B-
Filter- $7.00, Crush Washer- free

Seriously, f*** dealer A. Never going back. Their counterman was an ass, and the prices are insane! The counterman at dealer B was very friendly, the dealership was cleaner, newer and nicer, parking was also better at dealer B.

I'm not gonna call out the dealerships, but if you are in the Pittsburgh area and really want to know which dealer to avoid, PM and I'll let you know.

Wow, what a difference between dealerships. I returned the two filters and crush washers to the first dealership today. They took forever to actually get to me (no one was in front of me), and once they did gave me a scoff and eyeroll over having to do a return.

Then i went to the second dealer and got just one filter and crush washer. I asked if they had the Thailand filters and the counter guy said they haven't had them for a while. He said he thought they could maybe still order them, but they've been using the Mexican filters exclusively for several months. I need the oil change sooner than later, so I just went with the Mexican filter he had in stock. Prices before tax from the two dealerships-

Dealer A-

Dealer B-

Seriously, f*** dealer A. Never going back. Their counterman was an ass, and the prices are insane! The counterman at dealer B was very friendly, the dealership was cleaner, newer and nicer, parking was also better at dealer B.

I'm not gonna call out the dealerships, but if you are in the Pittsburgh area and really want to know which dealer to avoid, PM and I'll let you know.

Why not just name them. You are just relaying facts.

Why are Mazda's oil changes priced so high? My housemate received a dealership ad in the mail advertising oil changes are $39.95 for his CRV. Mine was $59.95.
59 is about right for Synthetic. Roughly the ballpark. 39 is for non synthetic and if its for synthetic that its probably a one time offer.

59 is about right for Synthetic. Roughly the ballpark. 39 is for non synthetic and if its for synthetic that its probably a one time offer.

Or synthetic blend. Thats pretty popular with Hondas.

OEM Thai oil filter made by Denso is indeed a little smaller on outside diameter than Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filter, but the size is consistent. On the other hand OEM Mexican oil filter does have big variation on outside diameter from different batches. Ask Madar he knows.

Got 2 made in Thailand filters (Denso) at dealership for $16 and change. When I compared the filter elements inside of it compared to the WIX 57002 I was kinda surprised. The Denso filter had a larger filter element inside despite a smaller metal canister than the WIX. I prefer the WIX for easier removal/installation via hand or oil wrench. Changed my oil on CX-5 this weekend. Old Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 @9k miles changed with fresh oil. $22.95 for 5 quarts at my local Wal-Mart. 101k miles and engine does not burn oil nor is there....fuel dilution :)

Oh don't forget to shake the oil canisters real good. The cleaning detergents and lubricants tend to settle on the bottom of bottle. Team "PP" where ya at! LOL

Dealer A-

Dealer B-

That is some price difference. And you can be sure that dealer A gets them at the same price as dealer B. I think your dealers are using the cheaper filters to make a little extra $ per oil change.

I just purchased by CX-5 a couple of weeks ago.

As I was sitting with the finance guy, one of the packages he offered me was to prepay for service. As part of the "discount," oil changes were $90 each if I paid for 3 of them up front. There was no discussion of the type of oil. I have no idea what the "normal price" might be.

This was in Charlottesville, VA, not downtown Manhattan.

It makes me angry, because I want a dealership I can have a decent relationship with.
There was another issue at the time where I told him he was selling his credibility for too cheap.

Those are the Thai filters? The number on the box in the picture is the Japan filter.

True. But I did get the Thai filters. I looked back at my original order on Amazon and the following notice was there: "Condition: New - Mazda has changed part number PE01-14-302 to 1WPE-14-302 so this sale you are getting the most recent version of the OEM filter. Applications remain the same." It would probably be best to ask them before ordering if they are still the Thai filters vs the Mexican ones.

I just purchased by CX-5 a couple of weeks ago.

As I was sitting with the finance guy, one of the packages he offered me was to prepay for service. As part of the "discount," oil changes were $90 each if I paid for 3 of them up front. There was no discussion of the type of oil. I have no idea what the "normal price" might be.

This was in Charlottesville, VA, not downtown Manhattan.

It makes me angry, because I want a dealership I can have a decent relationship with.
There was another issue at the time where I told him he was selling his credibility for too cheap.

Hey, let me know if you want some help changing your own oil. I'm in Charlottesville too and I have all the tools required. I usually buy my oil from med center mazda. $50 ish for 5 quarts of mazda moly/oil filter and crush washer.

Hey, let me know if you want some help changing your own oil. I'm in Charlottesville too and I have all the tools required. I usually buy my oil from med center mazda. $50 ish for 5 quarts of mazda moly/oil filter and crush washer.

Thanks for the offer!!

I've been changing my own oil since my first car many moons ago. Years ago, I bought a drain container from the local Advance Auto, and take it in there for disposal rather than mess with dumping it myself at the recycling center. I've also bought oil & filters for my Canyon & Volvo there when it goes on sale. I haven't even hit 1,000 miles on my CX-5 yet. I'm wondering if I can shimmy underneath it as I have most of my other cars & trucks, or if I gotta get the ramps out.

So where is Med Center Mazda? An internet search shows one near Birmingham AL. You ain't making that drive to save $5, are you? :)

depends if you can crawl underneath :) Its a bit tight but doable without ramps. Of course with ramps its easier as you have more height.

Back