Previous MSP owners! MS3 vibrations with mods??

lokalmotive

:
1989 Honda CRX
I had the MSP before buying the MS3 and loved the car. The only thing I really didn't like was the fact that after installing the Injen CAI, which was the first thing I ever put on the car, it had a super rough idle that was even worse with the A/C and/or lights on. I know alot of other ppl had this issue with the MSP and was trying to figure out if anyone had this problem with the MS3 so far. Every mod I added to the car just seemed to make the vibrations worse. I was honestly almost embarrassed to have someone riding with me at night with the A/C and lights on or in the daytime with the A/C on when I stopped at a light or stop sign. I think it could've been something with the ECU not learning with the mods but maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? I'm not an expert by any means. Anybody with some insight on how the MS3 reacts to mods vs the MSP please come with it before I start modding this thing too. Thanks in advance.

Well, I have zero mods and my car seems to idle extremely low. Sometimes it seems as if the engine is going to stumble and stall out. It averages a 500 - 700 RPM idle. When I turn my A/C on it actually raises the RPM's a little bit as most cars do. My MS3 only has ~350 miles on it and doesn't do it all the time so until it's fully broken in, I'm not concerned.

*edit* Try reseting your ECU again. Disconnect your battery completely and depress the brake pedal to make sure all current is out of the car. Give it at least 10 minutes, reconnect your battery, start your car and let it idle for at least 10 minutes. It usually takes a few days to a week to completely relearn so I would drive the car normal without getting on it for a week as well. Other than that I would really look around for a vacuum leak.

Last edited:
msp35 said:
You may have had torn motor mounts, it is a common problem with the msp.

The mounts were torn at one time but I replaced the sides with the AWR inserts and the front with the AWR replacement. The rear mount was the only one I didn't replace and even tho alot of other MSP owners had trouble with it mine was perfect. I know I got a little vibration from the mounts but from the input I got from other MSP drivers it was much more than I should have.

M3_Zoom said:
Well, I have zero mods and my car seems to idle extremely low. Sometimes it seems as if the engine is going to stumble and stall out. It averages a 500 - 700 RPM idle. When I turn my A/C on it actually raises the RPM's a little bit as most cars do. My MS3 only has ~350 miles on it and doesn't do it all the time so until it's fully broken in, I'm not concerned.

*edit* Try reseting your ECU again. Disconnect your battery completely and depress the brake pedal to make sure all current is out of the car. Give it at least 10 minutes, reconnect your battery, start your car and let it idle for at least 10 minutes. It usually takes a few days to a week to completely relearn so I would drive the car normal without getting on it for a week as well. Other than that I would really look around for a vacuum leak.

Yeah my MS3 idles pretty low too but it's not a rough idle like my MSP was. It's SUPER smooth. I just want to start modding the car and was wondering how it would handle it from this aspect vs the MSP. I haven't modded my MS3 yet so resetting the ECU isn't going to do anything for me as of yet. I appreciate the input tho. As long as the MS3 will handle everything better than the MSP I'm not too worried about spending the money on the mods.

lokalmotive said:
Yeah my MS3 idles pretty low too but it's not a rough idle like my MSP was. It's SUPER smooth. I just want to start modding the car and was wondering how it would handle it from this aspect vs the MSP. I haven't modded my MS3 yet so resetting the ECU isn't going to do anything for me as of yet. I appreciate the input tho. As long as the MS3 will handle everything better than the MSP I'm not too worried about spending the money on the mods.

Dam I think I brained my damage! I thought you were talking about your MS3. Next time maybe I'll insert my eyes and turn my brain on before I reply... (drinks)

Back