PR5 bad gas mileage

frozenpr5

:
2002 mazda protege 5
Our 2002 Protege 5 just got 26 mpg.... all freeway miles, and just did some city driving and it got 23 mpg. I know, not good. I had new plugs, wires, and the injectors cleaned about 4 months ago, I'm sure my air filter is dirty, should I upgrade to a cold air intake? If so what kind, and how easy are they to install and do they come with directions? I have the Borla cat back exhaust on it and has been on there since basically new, we are original owners of the car.

Manual or auto?

I've got an auto and never gotten better than 26-28 on the highway. Those numbers seem about right to me.

<auto, and="" i="" ve="" never="" gotten="" better="" than="" 26-28="" highway.="" those="" numbers="" seem="" pretty="" normal="" to="" me.=""></auto,>

Last edited:
and alignment?

and compensated for winter gas (if that applies to you)?

Noticed excessive black crud on the tailpipe?

My mileage is down as well (filled up this morning and got 23.1mpg). Winter gas owns me....a month ago I was getting 27-28mpg. (chair) Freakin' figures too....I start getting lower gas mileage and gas has gone up .35 in the last month! [sar](yippy)[/casm]

For the record - alignment done last month as well as new plugs and coil packs. Checking tire pressure and filling as necessary today.

My mileage is down as well (filled up this morning and got 23.1mpg). Winter gas owns me....a month ago I was getting 27-28mpg. (chair) Freakin' figures too....I start getting lower gas mileage and gas has gone up .35 in the last month! [sar](yippy)[/casm]

For the record - alignment done last month as well as new plugs and coil packs. Checking tire pressure and filling as necessary today.

I recently had a 4 wheel alignment, but I will tell ya - It didn't do much of anything. The car still pulls hard to the right. I say within 4 seconds I would be in ditch.

I read that some people have tried everything to get their car to stop pulling right. I am curious if other people have this issue too - I guess that could cause a lower gas mileage. I baby my car when driving and a mix of highway /city only gives me 24 or so (manual).....

I cant figure out how either. My car pulls right too!

I guess were all in the same boat as far as mileage. I'm getting horrible mileage since it's been cooler down here. (eek2)

I recently had a 4 wheel alignment, but I will tell ya - It didn't do much of anything. The car still pulls hard to the right. I say within 4 seconds I would be in ditch.

I read that some people have tried everything to get their car to stop pulling right. I am curious if other people have this issue too - I guess that could cause a lower gas mileage. I baby my car when driving and a mix of highway /city only gives me 24 or so (manual).....

Sorry to hear man....I would suggest you take it back to the shop and ask them to do it again (for free of course). And yes that can have an adverse effect on your mileage.

I had the car aligned in Oct of 2006 when I got my new Kumho's and last month had it done again and all tires are wearing evenly.

My wife's Pro5 pulls pretty good to the right too. And, after this is also after alignment. Went back, and, they said they did it to the specs. So, SOL for me.

As to the gas milage, I'm getting about 23mpg in my manual, but, i just got a new exhaust put on, so, I like to hear it higher in the revs. But, my wife's auto gets about 23-24 average. Never been any higher, But, she has a pretty heavy foot and some mild roadrage.

Tylor

those numbers are not that out of line...best i ever got was 30..(auto to boot)..i'm turbo'd now and get between 25-28 depending on driving conditions, and how often i "get on it".

My wife's Pro5 pulls pretty good to the right too. And, after this is also after alignment. Went back, and, they said they did it to the specs. So, SOL for me.

Seriously? Dude, if it's to spec it wouldn't be pulling. Take it back and have 'em do it again. That's bulls***.

Same thing happened to me. "It's to spec."

Someone said somethign to me about rotating the strut 180*or something.

are the dots on the top of the strut facing the same direction? (ie, both facing inside - bottom, for example)

If they're not, then sure. If they're even, then don't even worry about that. Point of the matter is that if it's 'to spec,' it shouldn't pull. If something's damaged, they wouldn't be able to align it 'to spec'. Did y'all get the alignment sheets to verify what they say?

are the dots on the top of the strut facing the same direction? (ie, both facing inside - bottom, for example)

If they're not, then sure. If they're even, then don't even worry about that. Point of the matter is that if it's 'to spec,' it shouldn't pull. If something's damaged, they wouldn't be able to align it 'to spec'. Did y'all get the alignment sheets to verify what they say?

my dots are pointed towards the sideview mirrors. but im sitting on tokico blues and eibachs. this is where i should have the dots right?

no idea, don't remember. Point being though that they're the same.

That's where my dots face- back & out. No pulling issues with worn or the new skins. Auto, mpg 23-26 depending on habits. Usually mix of open hwy & rush hour hwy. Not sure if TX gets "winter" gas that's any different. Usually pull 320-350 a tank using 87 octane. Tires are 205/40/17 with 37-38 psi. AC makes little to no difference in per tank mileage.

The car still pulls hard to the right. I say within 4 seconds I would be in ditch.

It's most likely the tires. Try rotating front to back and see if it goes away. Or side to side on the front and see if the pull reverses (safe for a few miles of testing, don' t leave them like that though).

This is why it's a good idea to rotate the tires shortly after buying a new set. My theory is that the tire places take the car out for a spin, and if it pulls, they rotate the tires. That moves the bad tire to the rear and minimizes the pull. Of course, they don't tell you they did this. Then 6000 miles later when you rotate the tires the car starts to pull mysteriously, and if you go back to the tire place you'll get the song and dance.

Back