Power Windows Stick

turbodcee

Am I the only one who has a problem with the power windows sticking in the closed position? The front ones are worse than the rear, possibly because I use them more. The rubber that accepts the glass at the top seems to be the culprit. It seems like it is tacky and holds the window shut. In addition, a black residue line forms on the glass along the top edge at the rubber. I used to clean the windows and the problem would get better. The problem has gotten worse now and is to the point where it holds the window shut and I have to push the button multiple times. The car is almost two years old and I do take car of it, clean, wax, etc.

I'll talk to the dealer about this... but am I the only one? If not, does anyone have any tips? Possibly a recommendation on what to use to clean the rubber that that recieves the window.

Thanks

Mine don't do that a lot. The passenger rear does it a bit, mostly because it's rarely opened. My daughter's Camry windows do it because they're NEVER opened. The A/C runs year-round.

Coat a q-tip with a silicon lubricant of your choice and run the q-tip back and forth in the rubber channel periodically. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Coat a q-tip with a silicon lubricant of your choice a run the q-tip back and forth in the rubber channel periodically. Problem solved.

Sounds like a good tip here.

You know, I never really gave this much thought. My front windows have never stuck, even though I don't roll them up & down as often as most. (I'm an A/C kinda guy, as the FL heat kills me.) But even though the fronts seem fine, I only ever rolled down the rears by accident, when I tapped the wrong switch once or twice. I might need to make it a habit to roll them down far enough to break the seal every so often.

The silicon lubricant tip does seem like sound advice if they ever start sticking, though.

Hey Thanks for the tip, I'll try the silcone lube. I am concerned with the long term effects of the windows sticking. It sounds like its straining the window mechanical parts and the motor.

That's why I open and close all windows at the very least once every day... I noticed that they stick a bit too and do that to keep them from molding shut.

Thank you for the tip. I, too, find the windows sticking (the front windows are more prone to do this than the rear) and consider that this must place additional unnecessary strain on the automatic window system.

yea happens here too...except i've also been hearing a clicking noise as the drivers window goes up and down. also, whatever position my passenger window was in when i got tints was the wrong one because there's a sliver of window that is completely free of tint in the up position and you can tell the window has a slight tilt change from a down position to all the way up. it's very annoying and ugly looking to me

I used the silicone lube on the rubber track along the top and it appears to have helped. At first i used a QTip to apply but then I resorted to using a rag and thoroughly wiped the track with it. Surprisingly enough, the windows still stick somewhat. Like I said, it's better, but how can it still stick. I shall see how it holds up. I also thoroughly cleaned the residue line off the window.

I can't stand that damn residue line. Let me know if the lubricant helps at all with that... if it does, I'm picking some up.

Try wiping down your weatherstrip around the window with a damp rag with some car wash soap on it. Keeping the weatherstrip clean goes a long way against preventing problems like sticking windows, wear from dirt that causes leaks, or glass/paint abrasion. I've seen older cars (as in, early 90's) that had weatherstrip that was so dirty and abrasive it actually wore the paint off down to the metal.

Hey Thanks for the tip, I'll try the silcone lube. I am concerned with the long term effects of the windows sticking. It sounds like its straining the window mechanical parts and the motor.

What I found that works just as well on the rubber seals is tire dressing. Keeps the rubber soft and doesn't do it any harm. Note that I live in Calif. so colder climates may be not so giving with cold seals and tire dressing.

Holy cow. I thought I was the only one.

I've used windex and an auto trim removal tool and a rag to shimmy in there, and clean it out.

It got rid of those stupid residue lines.
But now months later the windows stick real bad, with no residue.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, cause it seems even a little out of alignment when it finally seals.

My front driver window doesn't roll down when it is hot outside. Have to wait till it gets cooler out and it gets unstuck. I thought i was the only one lol.

That's a pretty serious case if it gets stuck like that.

My front driver window doesn't roll down when it is hot outside. Have to wait till it gets cooler out and it gets unstuck. I thought i was the only one lol.

I could see that happening. I have to hit the window button twice somtimes to get it going. I would imagine that the strain on the window regulator will take it's toll in a few years.

My windows stick so bad they are destroying the regulator. I have remover the resedue with razor blades and two days later they are stuck, the rubber materials in the window seal fuse to the glass, inside surface only. I live in Texas and always have the windows up (to hot or to cold) but go through several security gates a day and my drivers window is about shot, it has an inch of play in its up/down motion. the sticking occures in hot or cold weather rain or shine. No tint and I only use automotive glass cleaner. car is less than 2 years old. Factory factory materials defect IMHO.

Latest posts

Back