Power steering light went on. Help!

Lani

:
Mazda 3S
A few weeks ago I noticed a hard snapping type of noise coming from my drivers side left wheel. I took my car to my local Mazda Dealer and they replaced the passengers side cv axle and said the car was good to go. The moment I drove the car off the lot, I noticed a lot of noise esp. going over bumps and that snapping noise was still there. I called the Service Manager and let him know, he asked that I come in and let him drive the car. During a brief 10 min drive, he said it probably had something to do with the steering system but me the car was safe. I drove off and I didn't feel safe so I got a second opinion. Another mechanic told me that my drivers side control arm was broken and the bushings needed to be replaced. The car needed to be repaired a.s.a.p. because it was not safe. I had the work done and my car is quieter. Only problem is that the other night while parked at a gas station, my power steering light went on and for a few seconds it was hard to turn. The light hasn't come on since. Should I get it checked? The Mazda Dealer would still like to look at it - has offered to give me a free loaner and will "work with me" on whatever might be wrong. I'm hesitant to go back (they sent me out with a bad control arm) but this other mechanic said that he would know best because he has access to the "Mazda Network"- whatever that means. What do I do? I did some research online and maybe having my power steering fluid changed and the system cleaned might help? Btw, the power steering fluid is at the max level.

I would appreciate any help.

I don't know what year car you have. But my 2008 Mazda 3 recently had a recall for power steering system
possible problems. You may want check Mazda 3 power steering recall information and see if your car is
in the recall group. I didn't have any problems but the dealer said the work should be done.

If your light is still on there should be a diagnostic code for the general problems to help pin down the
sub-assembly causing the problem. I don't think the code can be pulled with the usual scan or reader tools.

I can understand your reluctance to trust a dealer that didn't seem to be able to determine you had
broken control arm. No computer code for that, just good common mechanical sense.

Don't know how to advise you on the steering problem, not sure the other problem was related to
your current problem. It seems the mechanic that repaired the control are is trying to say he doesn't know
what to do with electric power steering system problem.

Do you have a good steering and alignment shop in your area. Not a chain store but an independent
shop. They may be able to help.

Being in the network generally means data and information is available through the dealer network system.

Hope it isn't too difficult to get your problem solved.

Clifton

Mine is a 2005 Mazda 3 and there are not recalls (that I know of related to steering). I guess I have no choice other than to bite the bullet and go back to the dealer tomorrow. :-(

I appreciate your response Clifton. Thank you.

Just a little bit I would like to add to this. If this mechanic shop you took it to said you had a broken control arm and bad bushings (obviously not reuseable), I would have asked to have those parts so you could take them to the dealer and show them what they missed. It does sound like the service manager did not know a thing, and the mechanic that worked on your car should go back to school. Sometimes a little mom and pop shop is better than the dealer and other times they are not. Hope it works out for ya.

Not sure if it's related, but I believe our cars have electric power steering. The taxi company I work for uses 4 cylinder Ford Escapes (AKA Mazda Tribute), they also have electric PS and this warning light. Occasionally on start up, the power steering does not function. When a driver calls in a break down for this, and before our service guys come out on the road, they always have the driver shut off and restart the car. 9 times out of 10 the problem is gone. Apparently the electric PS sometimes glitches?

maybe i am late but i believe the power steering recall was 2006-2008(i could be wrong)
Mine did the same, light came on, it was hard to steer, then randomly shut off.
After i took it and got it replaced it hasnt happened again

Back