Power steering failure on Mazda5 (TSB: 06-002/09)

I went to Manhattan Automobile Company instead of Koeppel. They kept the car for a day and performed TSB 06-001/10. The vehicle was washed before returning to me. I even got a free rental car from enterprise. Overall I am very satisfied with their service.

I think koeppel is a bad car dealer and will never go back to them again.

Glad you got your issues resolved! I wonder why Koeppel didn't fix your problem in the first place...the idiot light was off when I drop the car off...my car has close to 30k when the problem arose...I didn't buy my car from them...they also gave me a rental car for the 1 day they kept the car...

my 08 M3 GT w 27000 miles had the steering light go on yesterday. My wife was in construction traffic on the highway outside temps in the low 90s. The traffic started flowing and shortly after that the light came on and no power steering. she drove home called the dealer. Her car was just in last week for two bad valve stems (nother story)
The dealer had her bring the car in she got a used M6 for a loaner. the dealer repaired the car today under TSB: 06-002/09 (a guess as we havent got the paper work yet)

she got the car back tonight w no issues to report.

on the valve stems, we test drove the car w the tpms lite on. bought the car (lite off) and two weeks later lite on. I added air and lite off another week goes by lite on. We bring it in dealer fixes it says it was a leaky valve stem OK. another month goes by I check the air (no lite on) and 1 tire just leaks air out when i try to add air or check the air (cracked stem). another stem snaps off and tire immediately goes flat. ok your thinking retroranger is a ham fisted wrench wanna be bzzt wrong, I work on bikes sleds cars trucks all the time, the only time my toys and vehicles go to the dealer is under warrenty. so anyway they replaced the two valve stems.

the issue w those appears to be the use of an aluminum alloy in a corrosive environment ie brake dust and newengland winters (salt) i notice my moms fusion uses typical rubber valve stems w TPMS system, seems to make a little more sense.

My unit started leaking about 18 months in while still in warranty. It was fixed by the dealer.

Power steering fail

After driving 2hr 30 min, hit a traffic jam and sat for about 20 min in 90 F heat. made a left turn to get out of lane and power steering light came on.

Got to a parking lot and checked, the fluid level was way above the max and actually overflowed a bit. Last time i checked the fluid it was at the max mark. let it cool for about 90 min and was then fine. After sitting overnight the fluid level was only slightly high. Does anyone know if when the pump shuts down does it shunt fluid directly to the resevoir causing the overflow? or does the fluid expand that much when it gets hot. I also understand other have had an issue a power steering issue. Any service types know wether this is temperature related What i can expect for Mazda? (Luckliy, still under warranty)

2008 GT.

My vehicle is going in for this power steering fix today. Parts are backordered across the board and there will be a long wait. There are a number of customers who are concerned about driving their vehicle so Mazda is providing a rental car until the parts come in. I think they are very aware because of the new and very hot temperatures that are around in the Toronto area now.

Rick and Maple Mazda just north of Toronto is the best. I've dealt with a couple other dealerships and specifically Rick is top notch.

What happened to me...
I was on a raised highway ramp transfer from the 401 (Canada's largest highway) going north to the 400 at about 60 kilometres an hour when the power steering suddenly went and the car wanted to go straight. I thought at first a wheel or suspension had locked up and was pushing the car in a new direction because the steering instantly became heavy. I looked down and saw what looked like an icon of an American 1950s steering wheel (two spokes) flashing in yellow and figured it was the power steering had gone. Freaked out my Wife because we almost hit the barrier on the side of the ramp transfer (her side so it must have been scarier).

Last edited:
Advice!!!!

please help us out here. my wife and i are really wanting to buy a mazda5 and we were going to look at one on thursday to buy, and the individual who had it contacted us today letting us know that the PS went out and it is in the shop to get fixed. we are still wanting to purchase the vehicle, but are reluctant now due to this issue. this vehicle is an 08 and the vin falls within the range listed on the TSB.

i guess our main concern is just to see if once the PS pump is replaced or "fixed" has anyone had ANY problems with their power steering sense.

THANKS A TON!

please help us out here. my wife and i are really wanting to buy a mazda5 and we were going to look at one on thursday to buy, and the individual who had it contacted us today letting us know that the PS went out and it is in the shop to get fixed. we are still wanting to purchase the vehicle, but are reluctant now due to this issue. this vehicle is an 08 and the vin falls within the range listed on the TSB.

i guess our main concern is just to see if once the PS pump is replaced or "fixed" has anyone had ANY problems with their power steering sense.

THANKS A TON!

From what I've read you should be fine. That said, this is just part of owning a 5. I've had two brand new Hondas in the past two years and both had way worse and dangerous problems with less than 5,000 miles on them. Cars seem to all be junk now. My opinion is that the 5, problems and all, is still a good car.

THANKS A TON!

I still think it's a great car. If the car you want to buy is getting fixed now, it's so much better for you that you don't have to deal w/it later on. It's still a great car in my opinion.

I just experienced this power steering problem today with my 08 5. Was waiting in line for very long time to get into parking lot under hot temperature. Lucky I was the driver and I used to have no power steering car long time back, so realize right away, if was driven by my wife, a small frame lady, may not be able to maneuver since never drives a no power steering car. Will take into dealership while i still have warranty.

FWIW, had my PS pump replaced 2 mos ago for unusually loud whining. New unit was quiet for abt 1 month, but is whining just as loud as the old one. Have not had either unit fail during driving yet, but I anticipate the whine is a precursor to failure.

My 09 5 (20K miles) will go in tomorrow for PS failure :( We were in Vegas for the weekend in 110* weather and dummy light came on a dozen or so times. We called the local dealer and the second we mentioned PS light they gave us the 'its safe to drive but bring it in ASAP and it will take some time to fix' speech.

Our 08 3 had the PS replaced at just under 30K miles for the same thing.

i have a problem with my 2000 ES. everytime my car is idling and i turn the steering wheel the RPMs drops down a lot sometimes i think the car is about to shut off. i cant find the problem, any ideas about it?

Noises, humms, and whines are soooo common on mini-vans, and large cars these days. Including beloved Hondas and Toyotas. Reporting these issues after the new pump is in is really not worth while (well anything is worthwhile to report here, I mean complaining to the dealer). This is exactly why Mazda (and others) are switching to electronic steering which sucks for road-feel and communication, but is more reliable.

Of course if the PS fails again then that is a whole new issue.

Had my PS parts replaced a couple of months back and have had no issues since. But steering feels a little softer unfortunately.

PS Fail & Replaced

All - we had our 5 PS fail while crossing the Rainbow Bridge from CAN to US on the Victoria Day long weekend...not a fun experience with no place to go. Managed to find out that turning vehicle off and then restart would clear - it did. We got to our flight ontime and upon return arranged to bring back to Dealer. They've had it now for 2 weeks and we have loaner (Dodge Grand Caravan SE) - awaiting 'parts'. Will advise how it goes moving forward.

Bannick

`08 m5

Same as my 5, now sitting in my dealer for 7 days already, still waiting for PS parts. now i`m just enjoying loaner by my dealer, save mileage and tire wear of my 5.

My PS light came on for a split second while coming to a stop then everything was OK. This happened the morning after I accidentally left my key in the ignition ON setting all night and drained the battery. Got jumped the next morning and everything's been fine ever since except for that 1 instance of my PS light coming on for about 1/2 a second. I bought my 5 used but I somehow doubt this PS fix was performed by the previous owner. Currently 56000 miles on it and next month, I am taking my car on its first LOOOOOONG trip covering about 2000 miles in 4 days through some hot temps. Maybe I should call my dealer about this PS thing...

Here is the TSB for it. It does not affect all Mazda 5s so check your VIN number. I have one of the earliest 06 models in the states, and my VIN # is below the range indicated. I have had no problems, and I have driven this thing everwhere including hot weather.

TSB: 06-002/09

2007-2009 MAZDA3 AND 2007-2009 MAZDA5 - HEAVY STEERING EFFORT WITH POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON AND DTC C1099

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2009 Mazda3 vehicles (NOT including Mazdaspeed3) with VINs below (produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
2007-2008 JM1BK****** 742201 - 880507
2008-2009 JM1BK****** 100002 - 251982
2007-2009 Mazda5 vehicles with VINS JM1CR***** 155672 - 349055 (produced between produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
DESCRIPTION

Some customers may feel that the steering effort is hard or heavy with power steering malfunction indicator lamp illumination and DTC C1099 [ELECTRO HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST STEERING (EHPAS)] stored in memory. This problem is caused by contamination of the system from such things as corrosion getting inside the power steering line, sticking in the power steering pump, and lowering the revolution speed. The system then goes into a fail safe function.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE OUTLINE

1. Verify customer concern.
2. Clean the steering gear box by flushing all fluid lines with 10 quarts of fluid.
3. Remove the electric power steering oil pump assembly (A) and pipe assembly (B).
4. Replace the power steering oil pump unit (shaded part of A) on the pump assembly with oil pump kit.
5. Install the repaired power steering oil pump assembly and new pipe assembly.
6. Fill the pump reservoir with ATF MIII and remove air from the line.

<snip>
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number
Description
Qty.
Note
BBM4-32-68Z
Oil Pump Service Kit
Kit consists of oil pump (B), bolts (C), joint (D), and O-ring (E).
BP4L-32-47YM
Pipe Assembly

9956-21-400
Gasket

0000-77-110E-01 or 0000-77-MERC-QT
ATF M-III
Up to 12 Quarts

Back