Power Shifting!!!

JrTekSilverP5

:
02' TwoToned (Sliver/Black) MP5
It's great and a fast way to gain speed in those short distance races!!!

Just try not to GRIND ur GEARS while doing so...

ive never really understood what exactly this is. is it just pushing in the clutch just enough to get it to disengage so you can slam it into gear?

power shifting in shifting while keepin the gas pedal to the floor...
but be careful or u could grind ur gears and u have to do it really fast so u dont REV TO HIGH

Actually this method of shifting does help if you can get clean shifts, although in our cars those are far and few between. In my 2000 Mustang GT that I got rid of, I used to do that all the time when racing. I think there is more of a concern on messing up the gears themselves should you miss shifts rather than the clutch. Sure it is not the best thing for the clutch, but I would rather replace a clutch than have to replace individual gears in the tranny.

lets talk about these techniques can we.
heel-to-toe double clutch etc. i would like to hear you guys' method of doing so

Re: isnt that bad

ELEmental59437 said:
isnt that bad for the clutch? seems like it would burn it out if done a lot....

IF DONE ALOT... yes it is bad... But so is street racing, but we do it anyway... (scratch)

Rider69 said:
I think there is more of a concern on messing up the gears themselves should you miss shifts rather than the clutch.

Thats why i said...
but be careful or u could grind ur gears
in my last post... (thought)

Minus said:
lets talk about these techniques can we.
heel-to-toe double clutch etc. i would like to hear you guys' method of doing so

I thought heel and toe was a dance... well it is here in miami and jamaica... and what or how do u DOUBLE CLUTCH... (huh)

you don't have to double clutch with our cars because they have synchros....double clutching was necessary in older cars in order to rev match.....when shifting you had to disengage the clutch...put the car in neutral reengage the clutch...hit the gas to rev to whatever rpm is needed then disengage the clutch go into gear and reengage it.....fun huh......basically the premise of heel and toe in our cars

I always thought speed shifting was NOT using the clutch...not just flooring it and slipping the clutch...it's damn near impossible to do it that way in our cars, i've tried. low speed its ok, high speed forget it. RWD's seem to handle it better, my sister's jeep will do it through all gears...only have to use the clutch to start off then after that no clutch 2nd to 5th.

I was wondering about that clutchless shifting. I can do it and I know how but does it hurt the tranny? And with double clutching, why would you have to engage the clutch after you were in neutral to rev the motor? I do that when going large hill that I have do down shift from 4th to 3rd. Just rev the engine a bit while the clutch is in and you won't have that stupid lag in downshifting. I'm kinda new to the shifting lingo so don't think I'm totally retarded.

PA_MP3_Man said:
I was wondering about that clutchless shifting. I can do it and I know how but does it hurt the tranny? And with double clutching, why would you have to engage the clutch after you were in neutral to rev the motor? I do that when going large hill that I have do down shift from 4th to 3rd. Just rev the engine a bit while the clutch is in and you won't have that stupid lag in downshifting. I'm kinda new to the shifting lingo so don't think I'm totally retarded.

Regarding clutchless shifting...one of my friends made a good analogy...It is like trying to catch a golf ball with your teeth. You may suceed, but if you don't, the consequences will be ugly.

I guess if you are a pro and have mastered this technique you will be fine, but I don't want to chance destroying the syncros and gears in my tranny. I've only done this a few times and it was in my RX7 and a pickup truck which were both RWD. Like mentioned in the previous post, RWD vehicles seem to handle clutchless shifting better than FWD. This is probably because the shifter linkage on a RWD vehicle goes directly into the tranny and there usually isn't a shift rod or cable connected to the shifter.

As for the double clutch question....The reason you blip the gas in neutral with the clutch engaged is to syncronize the speed of the tranmission input shaft with the speed of the transmission output shaft. This will keep "shock" off of the drivetrain when shifting and make the shift much smoother. Our modern trannys don't really benefit from this, because they have built in syncros, but it is fun to double clutch once in a while.

Heel and toe definied: Use the right foot for both brake and gas...when coming to a stop or slowing for a turn...put the "toe" part of your foot on the brake pedal and use the "heel" part to slightly rev the motor to match rpm's when downshifting. Your left foot is left to modulate the clutch.

I kind of do it backwards but it's the same effect...instead of heel and toeing i kind of half foot it on the side..(read small feet), the only car i've had i could do the proper method was an old vw ghia.

Down Shifting!

So when downshifting is it always necessary to give it gas? Also I've heard both things about at stop lights holding the cluch in all the way is bad for it and it isn't bad for it, which is it?

Thanks for the help

Its not necessary, but it helps to smooth out the shift, instead of relying on your sychros to "catch up" and jerking your car around. Its really not needed for most situations. its more important if you are racing and taking a turn, you dont want your car jumping around while you are taking a hard turn.

Its not bad to hold in your clutch as long as you dont do it for a really long time. If you are gunna be at the light for a while shift it to neutral and let off the clutch, if its going to be for a short time its fine to just hold down the clutch.

(as far as i know)

Back