Power Outlet giving me headaches

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport 5mt
Hey all thanks for all the quality posts over the years, made it so I never had to post a problem until now...

So, I was charging my laptop (approx 120W) on a 450W inverter (duracell branded) in my P5 and all the sudden the inverter starts beeping like i shut off the ignition. I pulled it out and try to use the cigarette lighter and ionic air freshener but to no avail. I checked the output voltage during idle and off and its showing over 12 volts in the socket. One thing i did notice is that it seems the light on the air freshener is pulsating about twice per second. The alternator seems fine as I tested the voltage across the battery terminals, and I have no illuminated BATT light on the dash and voltage was right where it should be. 12v+ off and 12v-14v idle

I should also mention I hooked up the inverter with alligator clips to the batt. and it was fine so its definitely something to do with the socket itself

Need some advice on where to go from here. Its kinda a big thing for me cause i work out of my car most days and I've already suffered from a dead cellphone with no way to charge it once. I'd hate to start pulling apart the dash without a clear plan of action, knowing my luck I'd start snapping plastic clips left and right.

Basic info:
2002 P5 160,000mi
Never changed alternator but it still is fine
Aftermarket stereo but using stock wiring harness w/ adapter. (It was fine even during the failure of the power socket and still works fine.)

Thanks in advance,
Fitz(bluep5)

Any updates on this problem? I'm having the problem where my cigarette lighter socket isn't working at all. I'm not even getting any power to the plug that goes to the back of the socket.

Really all you can do is follow the line. Also does the wire look frayed? Do you think you are getting a good connection to the outlet?

I did some continuity checks with a DMM, and got some interesting results. Need to check some wiring it seems.

I fixed mine. It ended up being the one fuse I didn't check.... Good to be able to charge my phone in the car again!

I did check. But there was one I didn't check because because I had something that is getting power connected to one side of the fuse, and it was getting power. This is why I didn't check it at first. When I started doing voltage checks, I realized that one side of where the fuses plug in have power, and it occurred to me that maybe I needed to pull fuse number 3 anyway...then BINGO!

Back