Power hick-up at 3200 rpms?

MSP-4-ME

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
I have noticed that when accelerating at any thottle level, I get a hickup as if the engine was misfiring or losing boost for a split second right around 3200-3500 rpms. It kind of feels like the power management the ecu does in 1st and 2nd gear under heavy acceleration kicks in for a split second and then disengages.

It happens all the time now in any gear. The boost is strong past that rpm range.

No mods and 800 miles?

I drove another speed and it didn't seem to do it...

Any one notice this or have any ideas???

bad gas you think?

or perhaps a loose hose where the by pass valve is located.. wish i had a picture of what I'm referring to, but I don't.

worse case scenario, take it in to have the tech guys look into it at the dealer...

let us know what you find out, good luck.

I had the same issue with my 2007 (30k) - almost as if the ECU "cut" for a split second. However, I also noticed unpredictable performance and stuttering (like bad fuel) on occasion. Eventually, I threw a P2004 (IMRC Valve Stuck Open)

In short, my Speed has been with the dealer for the last two weeks (now into it's third week) as they did some troubleshooting. They ordered and replaced the ECU (PCM) and were running more tests the last I heard.

I would suggest that if you encounter these sorts of issues, take it to the dealer (just avoid mine!!!). No sense in having a Speed3 act like anything less than a SPEEDY-3.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 2007 (30k) - almost as if the ECU "cut" for a split second. However, I also notice unpredictable performance and stuttering (like bad fuel) on occasion. Eventually, I threw a P2004 (IMRC Valve Stuck Open)

In short, my Speed has been with the dealer for the last two weeks (now into it's third week) as they did some troubleshooting. They ordered and replaced the ECU (PCM) and were running more tests the last I heard.

I would suggest that if you encounter these sorts of issues, take it to the dealer (just avoid mine!!!). No sense in having a Speed3 act like anything less than a SPEEDY-3.

At the dealer for over TWO WEEKS?! Holy C-rap. Do you at least have a decent loaner?

Last edited:
Back