Post your water pump count

I called up my local mazda dealership earlier this week and I was quoted $700 for a timing belt and water pump change. The water pump makes up almost half of the price (the pump itself is $220 + labor) so I was wondering if I really should spend all that money for something that might not need to be done.

The guy on the phone said that I'd have a 50/50 chance of the pump leaking in the future so I'd like to know the following from you guys/gals:
  1. What water pump are you currently on?
  2. What mileage have you accumulated on that pump?
Also, if the pump does start leaking what does that mean? Will I just have o keep topping up the coolant reservoir or is it more serious than that?

I have changed belts on other cars without changing the water pump, but that was years ago when the belts were changed at 60k miles. Never had to change the water on them later. I did have a Isuzu PU that had a water pump leak when the belt was changed. I replaced the water pump with an Advance Auto pump and it was leaking again in 30-40 k miles.

OE parts usually last longer than replacement parts on most cars. If your water pump does start leaking later it could leak on the belt and damage it.

Clifton

I called up my local mazda dealership earlier this week and I was quoted $700 for a timing belt and water pump change. The water pump makes up almost half of the price (the pump itself is $220 + labor) so I was wondering if I really should spend all that money for something that might not need to be done.

The guy on the phone said that I'd have a 50/50 chance of the pump leaking in the future so I'd like to know the following from you guys/gals:
  1. What water pump are you currently on?
  2. What mileage have you accumulated on that pump?
Also, if the pump does start leaking what does that mean? Will I just have o keep topping up the coolant reservoir or is it more serious than that?

How many miles are on your car? I changed my timing belt and water pump at 105k miles, because I don't think my water pump will make it to 210k miles. The problem is that you're going with the dealership - no way a water pump should cost and additional $220 - the part itself should be $60, $70 max, and it only takes an extra 3 minutes to remove the water pump bolts.

They may be trying to charge you for an entire coolant flush - if you've changed your coolant in the last 30k miles, just ask them to put the old stuff back in when they're finished.

How many miles are on your car? I changed my timing belt and water pump at 105k miles, because I don't think my water pump will make it to 210k miles. The problem is that you're going with the dealership - no way a water pump should cost and additional $220 - the part itself should be $60, $70 max, and it only takes an extra 3 minutes to remove the water pump bolts.

They may be trying to charge you for an entire coolant flush - if you've changed your coolant in the last 30k miles, just ask them to put the old stuff back in when they're finished.

I'm at 153000KM (~95K miles), and the pump kit (pump plus some gaskets) costs $220 (Canadian). I called with the part number and that's what they quoted me.

For that price I'm considering doing it myself; that way I'd put what I save in labor costs towards a new water pump. But if I don't really need the pump I'd rather not replace it (if it ain't broke, don't fix it?).

Negative. Oe pump is ~$200 when I was quoted one from my parts counter way back when. Aftermaket I defentaly 60-80. Op if I were u I'd ask if they would install an aftermaket pump(that you supply). Defentaly don't skip it though.

Last edited:
Negative. Oe pump is ~$200 when I was quoted one from my parts counter way back when. Aftermaket I defentaly 60-80. Op if I were u I'd ask if they would install an aftermaket pump(that you supply). Defentaly don't skip it though.

If I am going to change it I'll definitely get the OEM one. I've seen too many people bitching about aftermarket ones failing after 30-40K.

Im at 143k km and still on the original water pump. I got the belt changed but not the pump.

I hope to run it until 200k km then change it. I hope it will be ok...

Ya right, a stealership install parts that you supply?? I highly doubt it. It diminshes their profit margin if you supply your own parts, i.e why they won't do it. Most mechanic shops aren't fond of this either, let alone dealerships.

Ya right, a stealership install parts that you supply?? I highly doubt it. It diminshes their profit margin if you supply your own parts, i.e why they won't do it. Most mechanic shops aren't fond of this either, let alone dealerships.

There are defentaly exceptions to the rule, espically the way the economy is. I've known a few people to get away with it, regardless it was a suggestion which is of course subject to rejection...

There are defentaly exceptions to the rule, espically the way the economy is. I've known a few people to get away with it, regardless it was a suggestion which is of course subject to rejection...

(mswerd)

Still, a local shop maybe, but I doubt stealerships will ever be down for that.

When I changed my belt at 209K, the WP was fine, but I replaced it anyway-With an aftermarket one. We'll see how that does.

Back