Post CX-5 Reviews...

The MX-5 is a zippy little roadster that delivers surprising power in the upper range of revolutions and the critics have always loved it. The new 2 liter engine in the CX-5 is a different animal, designed to deliver ample torque at low RPMs, matched to a high gear ratio for excellent mileage... however... the six speed transmission of the CX-5 provides a sporty capability considering the size of the cabin and relatively high center of gravity of a car made to haul quite a few people and their stuff.

I have to disagree here. The car has almost no power until 3K rpm, at least that's what it feels like with my car (manual transmission). Having come from a Protege5 (which is low powered as well), the difference in low RPM torque is huge. The P5 I could drive all day without exceeding 2,500 RPM and not be too slow to impede traffic. No such luck with the CX-5.

I would love to see some dyno plots to see whether the engine is truly down on torque early in the rev range or it's a combination of weight/gearing etc. that makes it feel slow. Of course if you do want some "power", just rev that engine.

Having said all of this, I still love my CX-5, it's just I know what it's capable of and don't expect more.

enough power

Best review yet. These guys really get it. They highlight just about everything that makes the CX-5 Sport with Skyactiv-MT great. Great manual transmission, handling, fuel economy, styling, and well equipped even in a low priced Sport trim.

The power in not lacking. Sure, on paper it has a few less horses than it's direct competitors. But do you think the majority of CUV drivers can even tell the difference? Do you even need those extra ponies most of the time? The more powerful Ford Escape has the same 45-60 time according to Motor Trend! If you're buying a diaper hauler, fuel economy and cargo utility are probably of great concern.

I'm tired of all the auto writer lemmings that just repeat that this vehicle lacks power and therefore it's crap. It just tells me they completely missed the point. Heck, if all they judge CUVs mainly on horsepower and 0-60, they shouldn't be reviewing cars at all. What if they evaluated sports cars based mainly on passenger volume and fuel economy instead? Ridiculous.

Although I am no expert (just an interested CX 5 owner), the power in my CX 5 seems just fine. I live in a very mountainous area and can tell no difference in uphill climbs when compared to my 2007 CRV. I am able to maintain 60 mph on long, steep grades. Yes, the auto shifts down to 4th gear, but just about all cars downshift when going up steep grades.

I read a professional review from Canada that I think has it figured out. To conserve fuel, the transmission likes to stay in the higher gear and this gives the impression of sluggishness. I simply apply a bit more force to the pedal to induce a lower gear, and I have all the power I need.

I find it comical that we are splitting hairs over .4 or less 0 - 60 times when compared to some of the competition without considering excellent fuel economy. I my understanding is correct, the US and other governments have established some strict fuel consumption restrictions over the coming years, so we all have to get real!

I agree with jaman_ca on the torque. It peaks at 4k in the CX-5. Around town and in heavy traffic, I shift between 2k to 3k. Getting up to speed on the freeway usually requires 4k or more. Doing so I'm still averaging 32 mpg in mostly daily rush hour traffic.

Not once have I ever been in a situation where I had my feet pegged to the floor begging for more power. It might be the case if I drove the automatic and was trying to get it to downshift faster. Probably 99.9% of real world driving won't require it. I might change my opinion during the zombie apocalypse. Then again, you probably need something like a Land Rover or Ford Raptor. The CR-V's slightly faster .4 sec 0-60 won't make the difference when you're trying to run over zombies.

Last edited:
I agree with jaman_ca on the torque. It peaks at 4k in the CX-5. Around town and in heavy traffic, I shift between 2k to 3k. Getting up to speed on the freeway usually requires 4k or more. Doing so I'm still averaging 32 mpg in mostly daily rush hour traffic.

Not once have I ever been in a situation where I had my feet pegged to the floor begging for more power. It might be the case if I drove the automatic and was trying to get it to downshift faster. Probably 99.9% of real world driving won't require it. I might change my opinion during the zombie apocalypse. Then again, you probably need something like a Land Rover or Ford Raptor. The CR-V's slightly faster .4 sec 0-60 won't make the difference when you're trying to run over zombies.

lol

Although I am no expert (just an interested CX 5 owner), the power in my CX 5 seems just fine. I live in a very mountainous area and can tell no difference in uphill climbs when compared to my 2007 CRV. I am able to maintain 60 mph on long, steep grades. Yes, the auto shifts down to 4th gear, but just about all cars downshift when going up steep grades.

I read a professional review from Canada that I think has it figured out. To conserve fuel, the transmission likes to stay in the higher gear and this gives the impression of sluggishness. I simply apply a bit more force to the pedal to induce a lower gear, and I have all the power I need.

I find it comical that we are splitting hairs over .4 or less 0 - 60 times when compared to some of the competition without considering excellent fuel economy. I my understanding is correct, the US and other governments have established some strict fuel consumption restrictions over the coming years, so we all have to get real!

I find that stepping on the gas pedal (FWD Auto in auto mode) halfway allows for a smooth downshift even when going on an incline or merging unto highway traffic. It provides adequate power while maintaining fuel efficiency. Stepping on the gas pedal to the floor while the car is moving makes for rough delayed downshifts of 2 and sometimes 3? gears it seems which isn't nearly as smooth-probably since the ecu is in fuel savings mode.

"This car has traditional hydraulic steering." (@6:35 on the video)

I thought the CX-5 has the electric power steering but the reviewer says it is hydraulic. Is it hydraulic, electric or hydraulic with electric assist (as seen in Nissan cars)?

I thought the CX-5 has the electric power steering but the reviewer says it is hydraulic. Is it hydraulic, electric or hydraulic with electric assist (as seen in Nissan cars)?

The MazdaUSA site lists it as Rack & Pinion with Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS).

As far as I know, my RX-8 is fully electric. I'd assumed the CX-5 was the same kind of Mazda unit?

Nice comprehensive review but it seems Kevin was having some brain farts in the 6 minute zone....@about 6:21 he says the CX5 has a dual-clutch transmission. Sorry Kev, I think you had that wrong too or has my old geezer memory failed me.

BTW - I'm just a lurker waiting for the diesel. Love my wagon but the next vehicle will likely be my last and I'm going to be very fussy.

Nice comprehensive review but it seems Kevin was having some brain farts in the 6 minute zone....@about 6:21 he says the CX5 has a dual-clutch transmission. Sorry Kev, I think you had that wrong too or has my old geezer memory failed me.

BTW - I'm just a lurker waiting for the diesel. Love my wagon but the next vehicle will likely be my last and I'm going to be very fussy.

Same question here...there is little information on the skyactiv-d. I have read it is a traditional AT and I have read it is a dual clutch unit with torque converter. Reviews say the AT can blip downshifts which seems unnecessary for a traditional AT.

Same question here...there is little information on the skyactiv-d. I have read it is a traditional AT and I have read it is a dual clutch unit with torque converter. Reviews say the AT can blip downshifts which seems unnecessary for a traditional AT.

The throttle blipping on downshifts is when in manual mode, like a BMW, it's nice, I want it.

Hard to get in the UK. Released end of May, and could only pre-order from the factory.

Mine is due Sept 1st. Can't wait

Me too. Waiting till sept 1st for auto (diesel of course) in blue

Last sighting was on a boat to Zeebrugge Belgium. Due in 14th August, but though may as well wait until September. (Sounds like a Carol King song) Having a personal plate but includes the 62 date code, meaning registration date will be Sept 1st.

Metropolitan Grey (Polishes up nice hopefully) Diesel, Auto 2 wheel drive with free nav upgrade.

Alex

Car and Driver comparo in the latest issue (September 2012) - CX-5 beats 5 others (CR-V, Escape, RAV-4, Sportage, etc). Not online yet though.

Car and Driver comparo in the latest issue (September 2012) - CX-5 beats 5 others (CR-V, Escape, RAV-4, Sportage, etc). Not online yet though.

Which CX-5 version? Sport Manual? Or the heavier AWD GT?

Which CX-5 version? Sport Manual? Or the heavier AWD GT?

Heavier AWD version, top of the line GT, retail price of about $30.5K. Still had best MPG over 200 mile test of the 5 tested.

Back