Possibly moving to San Diego area. Info needed...

:
2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP (Forged)
Hello,
I'm a long time member of these forums, but have not been active in awhile. I currently live in GA and may be moving to the San Diego area in the near future. I have a built MS Protege and am trying to decide whether to bring it with me or cut my losses and sell it before I move.
In GA we have emissions testing and my car passes without issue, however our testing process is pretty basic.

GA emissions testing includes the following:
- visual inspection to check for presence of catalytic converter
- functional check of check engine light
- scan to check for completion of readiness monitors
- OBD2/CAN scan for fault codes
- gas cap pressure check

I have been researching California emissions standards and it seems that the test is similar, but I am having trouble finding specific info. Also, I am curious how the CARB status of some parts is going to affect the emissions testing / registration process. The only mods I would think may have an effect on this would be my HiBoost FMIC, Protephile tubular turbo manifold and Vibrant 3" turbo-back (w/highflow cat). Most other mods are internal, not visible without disassembly of engine or would not be distiguishable from factory parts unless the person looking is very familar with these cars. I'd prefer to keep the car as a toy (its long paid for) and get a truck for a daily driver on those roads, but I don't want to bring it unless I will be able to drive it at least some of the time on the road.

Can you guys chime in and let me know what I'm up against? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Cmon, I know some of you guys have modded cars, even MSPs. Nobody can chime in from the San Diego area, or from any California zip code with expanded emissions standards?

Make an account on wwww.moccforums.com and ask. That is the California Mazda Owners forum and really active.

Back