Possible Rear seal leak (not sure ) second opinion pls

xdarkox

:
mazda protege 2000 ES 1.8l
Hello mazda owners,

Im the owner of mazda protege 2000 ES 1.8 with 140k miles AUTOMATIC trans

I was changing my radiator and transmision filter and oil, and during that process for the first time, I noticed small engine oil leak, right

under the bell housing in the drive plate area. Im suspecting on rear main seal, because its right around there.

Here are some pics of it.

20130206165131.jpg
20130206165146.jpg
[/IMG]
20130206165209.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm pretty sure its engine oil. At this point it looks like a big job to me , so I would like if someone can give me some tips and maybe

shortcuts on how is the easiest way to remove auto tranny and repair that rear seal. I can get a hold of a tranny jack for that job. I did many

repairs on my car :Timing belt and water pump, idler, tensioner, drive belts, alternator,plugs and wires, catalytic, IAC,EGR canadian, brakes and

rotors,motor mounts, radiator, tranny filter and oil,O2 sensors,MAF sensor. and few other things,. (this fkin thing never stops).

Few questions I'm not sure of , in order to get to tranny how difficult is to pull wheel hub and all the following components on the way to

tranny.

Do i need to drain tranny ,or it would just stay sealed as I pull it away from the engine together with tranny oil pan attached.

what tools I might need , for example separating ball joint , will I end up tearing apart Cv rubber boots. what about control and steering arm.

And the most important for how long can I let it ride with leaking rear seal. It's already showing some drips on the ground.

Questions are many but I appreciate any advice. How would someone go about this whole thing.

i also have workshop manual for my car and probably all the tools.

Back