Possible Cracked Exhaust Mani?

MSpeedPro#793

:
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege Titanium Grey #793 RIP 02 Protege 5
I changed my belts today on my 03.5 MSP and after installing the belts i gave it a few revs from the throttle boby and i believe i seen some exhaust coming from under the top of the heat shield on my mani near the cam gear side. I'm just wondering what some of u have to say about that.. It also could be the reason why after 10 minutes on driving when the car is at temp it feels like i'm pulling a trailer when i try to hit boost.

do u think that would also be causing the boost problem? also for a quick fix till i get a original mani by buying a obx ebay one or something of the ebay site ?

The OBX manifold on eBay has a T3 flange, so it won't work with the T25. There are the Thunder knock-offs and I've got one, but it's only had 2,000 miles put on it, so I can't vouch for it's longevity. The actual Thunder units were prone to cracking, so I can only assume this will eventually do the same. To combat that, I rewelded mine completely after I received it and before it went onto my engine. But for $200...

Have you checked the manifold bolts and manifold gasket? You may not need a new manifold. Take the heat shield off before jumping to conclusions.

It only takes a couple minutes to take off the heatshield. It is kind of a puzzle to take off, but you'll find the angle you need without too much trouble. Don't force it. You'll need an O2 sensor socket or you can wedge a crescent wrench behind the shield once it is lose to remove the O2 sensor before you can take the shield off completely.

Once you get the shield off, I highly recommend breaking out the dremmel and cutting straight down from the O2 sensor hole so you don't have to remove the O2 sensor next time. For years, I said I wasn't going to cut it. Once I finally did, I was so relieved the next time I had to remove the heatshield.

Thanks guys. I bought a exhaust & a turbo gasket just incase. What are the torq specs for the exhaust manifold bolts? Also is it common for the bolts to possibly break?

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123707285-MazdaSpeed-Protege-turbo-torque-specs

Torque specs are in a sticky. Yes the stock bolts break. When mine first started leaking, one bolt had completely backed out and another was totally gone. When I got the replacement it would not go in because part of the original was still there. It was ok with just one broken bolt, but I later snapped a head off another bolt when tightening them down just to spec and broke down and bought the ARP studs.

I had to remove everything in front the engine to get a drill in the engine bay to extract the two broken bolts. I am sure there is some bolt or stud that would be better than stock and not cost the crazy amount of money that ARP charges.

Stock is a combination of studs and bolts. I paid Mazda $6 a bolt to replace the two that were gone, of course one half was still in the block. I still have all the stock bolts and studs. I believe Mazda only used studs in the center because bolts did not fit between the exhaust runners.

If you've never seen a stock car with bolts then you've never seen a stock car.

Last edited:
I see what your saying now lol nuts not bolts. Everybody calls things differently. They really don't have to be that tight with a multilayer gasket. As in literally about as tight as valve cover bolts.

The outside four fasteners on the manifold were bolts, the two on the left and two on the right. The inside 6 were studs with nuts. Maybe Mazda changed this at some point, but that's the way my car came from the factory.

Hey, I might have the same issue? I was using Seafoam on my engine a while ago and there was some of the seafoam smoke coming from exactly where you said. Heelllp!

Back