Possible blown engine, need advice.

mckraut

:
MazdaSpeed3 Black Mica GT
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT with 77,000 miles on it and $4,300 left to pay off.

Monday night I'm driving home and notice that whenever I engage the clutch pedal or even rest my foot on it, I get intense vibrations through it. Once I get home and into the slower speed limits, I notice the engine is making a loud knocking noise and the pedal vibrations are synced up to them.

Tuesday morning I took it to a local place where they sat on it for six hours and finally after I called them told me "you need a new engine, and we also checked under the hood, you have no oil". Now I just received an oil change at Pep Boys on August 13th, so I should have plenty of oil left in the thing. Of note, at Pep Boys they told me that one of my cylinders had a misfire, but I didn't do anything about it just then.

So Tuesday evening I went to retrieve my car and tossed some oil back in it and took it to another local car place for a second opinion (the vibrations were greatly improved with the addition of new oil). Today they called me and told me that my rods were stretch and was causing the banging and that I could throw a rod at any moment. Quote to replace the engine with a brand new one from Mazda - $7,000.

So then I called Pep Boys and explained to them that they performed an oil change 2 months ago and now my car has no oil. They sent one of their mechanics to this other shop to examine the car. They once again found the cylinder misfire and told me that they don't think I need a new engine and that I should take it directly to Mazda to get a full diagnostic run and get the misfire repaired. He also said that with the misfire, fuel was allowed to mix with the oil and cause my issue.

So, what do you guys think I should do? Currently I have an appointment with a Mazda service center, but I'm afraid they're just going to tell me the same thing. Also, is this fuel/oil mix thing BS? And if not, then why do I have no oil in my car as opposed to my liquid from the fuel mixing in with the oil?

If I were to get rid of the car, I'd probably invest in a used Ford Fusion or Honda Accord (something bigger for family purposes) and see if I could get ANY sort of trade in for my current vehicle.

First mistake: letting Pep Boys even LOOK at the car. Odds are they didn't fill it properly (or at all). Second mistake: not checking the oil more often yourself. Yeah, the cylinder misfire/fuel in the oil is BS. Sorry for your bad fortune.

So they ran a diagnostic on it and when they tried to back it out of the garage, it threw a rod. So it's more or less completely dead now. According to Mazda I need a new engine, turbo and clutch at a cost of $9,000. So long.

Head over to MSF and post in the local section. Nator DC. There might be a few people that can help you out.

Get a used engine. Or, you can try to get Pep Boys to pick up the tab. Sounds like negligence on their part. You shouldn't lose almost 6 qts of oil in less than two months, misfire or otherwise.

Get a used engine. Or, you can try to get Pep Boys to pick up the tab. Sounds like negligence on their part. You shouldn't lose almost 6 qts of oil in less than two months, misfire or otherwise.

Yep, I'm all over Pep Boys as of now trying to get them to work with me.

Don't drive the car. Park it, tow it. You are highly likely to have a bent rod. You may be able to save the block if you stop driving the car. If the block is still sound you will need to have it rebuilt, which may require a sleeve on the cylinder where the bent rod is, a new piston set, rings and bearings. That's probably cheaper than a used engine, depending on the degree of damage. Every mile you drive makes it worse and once you throw that rod through the side of the block you'be pretty much trashed the entire engine.

Last edited:
Never mind about the rebuild. I see that Pet Boys finished it off for you. Used engine time. Tear down after removal will reveal cause of failure.

How the hell did the dealership let you trade it in for any sort of value when they know it needs that much work?

How the hell did the dealership let you trade it in for any sort of value when they know it needs that much work?

Not sure. I owed $4300 and they gave me $2900 for it. Maybe it was a mistake on my part, but I needed a ride badly and they knew it. Honestly I was surprised I got that much out of it.

Back