Popping on front left end of Protege under braking

tercel89

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L . It has 235,000 miles on it. All of a sudden we have been noticing a loud popping noise when we are stopping. It is coming from the front end driver's side. I have replaced the sway bar end links once and they need to be replaced again but this doesnt sound like them . This noise only happens when I am braking. The sway bar end links dont ever make a noise like this . So I have ruled out the end links.
What could it be ? I have searched and to me it is starting to sound like a strut. Now get this: I can be stopped and hit the brake pedal and no sound at all. But when I hit the brakes while moving , the popping happens. SO I am thinking that something like the strut is shifting or popping. I have looked at my caliper and rotors and they are all tight.
Any help on what this could be is appreciated.

Last edited:
Even though your calipers are tight, make sure every thing is greased correctly. I had the biggest issue with my brake pads shifting and making a popping/rocking noise and wound up being the pads sticking inside of the shims at a awkward position.

also....if the struts are original, go ahead and replace them. I paid $33 per strut on my 03 protoge...it should work out pretty good for your 2000. They're made by sensen and are pretty decent. Took about an hour to install.

check your lower control arm for torn control arm bushings. These cars dont really eat them up as bad as my girlfriend's 08 cobalt...but its possible at 235k miles.

motor mounts. When you hit the brakes....the motor can be shifting forward and causing a pop. Typical problem with these.

Calipers could be hanging up...causes a clanking/clunking sometimes when stopping. I would look at the brakes first though and make sure everything is greased correctly. Get yourself a tube of synthetic brake grease and grease everything...about $6 a tube. Go from there.

Back