popping and sputtering?

jaymz199

:
09 mazdaspeed3
recently since the weather has changed ive noticed between 4-5k mostly during wot the car will pop and sputter under full boost. the colder the weather is the worse it pops out of the exhaust.
my current mods are injen intake, cms fmic, tip cnt catted downpipe stock catback .upgraded hpfp,hypertech tune and hks bov that i recently switched to recirc.
i did just order denso itv22 hoping this will cure the popping.
has anyone else experianced this problem? and is one step colder the remidy to this problem?

I dont get the popping under WOT but I do get it when engine braking or changing gears randomly, I think that is a product of a car that runs rich.

No I mean its bucking and poping and sometimes sends a puff of smoke out the exhaust. I was thinking tne bov when it was set to vta it may have fouled a plug? But im not sure tho.

How many miles on your plugs? My guess is that over time the gap has opened up. If so, a wide gap will produce a condition called spark plug blow out, which means high boost is actually blowing out the spark. When boost falls after the misfire, the plug fires again, etc. You get this bucking sensation just like load cut.

Check your plugs. Gap them tighter -- to .028. With your mods being just about fully bolted, you would probably benefit from the one step colder plugs you have on order. I'll bet you'll find one or more of your stock plugs opened up to at least .035 or even .040.

Last edited:
Thank you thats the info I was looking for on the new pluggs should I go with a .028 or .03 gap?

Re gapped the plugs you were right they sere all about .045 lol theyr all set to about .028 now. And thanks for the help

did it and still doing it after 100 miles went away at first but is back

If regapping solved the problem but it's back, then you're probably due for new plugs. And be very careful gapping them. If you wipe the iridium surface coat off of the center electrode, you've wiped off their ability to withstand the super high heat of a turbo engine that is running high compression and high pressure fuel injection. That's why the iridium is so important. But it's very easy to damage.

Buy a set of cheap copper plugs, gap them properly, and throw in to see if that solves the problem. or just inspect those plugs.

methinks there's a couple issues going on aside from just the plugs.

Back