Pontiac G8 GXP Sees An Early End, No Chance Of Reprieve

Get your G8 GXP while it lasts, it will be a collectible in the US for sure (G8 GXP 23 of 200 shipped, where only 5 are bright copper ;))

Pontiac G8 could live on, sans Pontiac... but don't hold your breath

The brand's demise next year will mark the end of the Pontiac G8, but there's a faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for the Aussie-built sports sedan. Speaking with Automotive News, Tom Stephens, General Motors' vice chairman of global product development, said "there's still discussions on" resurrecting the G8, "but Chevrolet already has several sedans. How many sedans do you need to cover the waterfront?"

His comments don't imbue us with much hope for the G8's future, particularly after GM CEO Fritz Henderson has clearly stated that no Pontiac models will live on within the "new" GM. Although there's a groundswell of enthusiast support for the General to replace the Impala SS due to be killed next year with the G8, or possibly offer the rear-wheel drive sedan as a Buick model, the idea doesn't seem to be gaining traction within the automaker.

They've been trying to replace the current impala with a solid RWD sedan for a while.

This is a cheap and easy solution.

I think they should just do it. The G8 is already labeled a Chevy in other parts of the world.

9071102.003.Mini1L.jpg

9071102.003.Mini2L.jpg

I wanted one of these so bad. Hopefully depreciation hits them hard and I can pick up a clean example in a few years.

I wanted one of these so bad. Hopefully depreciation hits them hard and I can pick up a clean example in a few years.

Don't forget to later check around for reliability stats. I'm sure the parts will go up and will be difficult to find, so even if the car costs peanuts, the maintenance cost will be a pain.

Now if Chevy takes it, different story I hope.

They could stretch that platform and make it the next Impala. Bet it would be an instant classic.

They could stretch that platform and make it the next Impala. Bet it would be an instant classic.

No. It doesn't need to be any larger!!!!! Just swap the pontiac badge for a chevy badge, change the front fascia and done!

Don't forget to later check around for reliability stats. I'm sure the parts will go up and will be difficult to find, so even if the car costs peanuts, the maintenance cost will be a pain.

Now if Chevy takes it, different story I hope.

True. Didn't consider that.

Other than Chevy's 'loyal' customer base in the snow belt, I can't imagine why they don't make the dead G8 the new Impala. That antique FWD POS needs to be put out to pasture.

But IMO, GM is letting several good platforms go in this bloodbath. I don't know the sales figures for the Sky / Solstice, but what beautifullly built cars they were. Very few concept cars take my breath away the way the Sky did, and I find myself still wanting one. And to forsake the Vue for the Equinox? Bad decision.

Not much of their decision making makes sense to me, but I guess that's why I'm not getting paid millions more than I'm worth to run a car company.

No. It doesn't need to be any larger!!!!! Just swap the pontiac badge for a chevy badge, change the front fascia and done!

I would make the Impala about the same size as the one that they sell now, just rwd. They could just name the G8 something else and keep it the same size it is.

The good thing is, we aussies still get to drive them over here! w00t

P.S. They are even better with a supercharger

The good thing is, we aussies still get to drive them over here! w00t

P.S. They are even better with a supercharger

Pfffft, even the Commodore's steering wheel is on the wrong side Down-Under, an who in its 'right' mind would want to shift with the left hand anyway?

*** <--- envy smilie inserted here

:D :D

;)

I'm torn really. As much as I do like the looks of this car, I would never buy it. Even if GM wasn't in trouble. Why, not sure, but I would never buy it, it's not even in my top 10 to even look at.

how many here would actually go buy this car over an import or other car?

Back