Pontiac G8 GXP Sees An Early End, No Chance Of Reprieve

i would as well. i was (and still am) looking to maybe pick one up on the used market since their resale will probably take a pretty bad hit with the brand closing and all. i can't think of a whole lot of imports in the same price category that can compete with it. the ones that are close are $5-10k more at least when comparably equipped.

I am desperately trying to talk myself out of buying a G8 GT.
The extra $10,000 for the GXP allows me to ignore it.
Having no dealership within 200 miles with a blue one is helping as well.

Does anyone know if the GT trim level will see life or is every part of the platform dead, not just the GXP dead?

I really don't see why this car isn't going to replace the Impala at the end of Pontiac's life. You can't say it was badge-engineered when the badge it came from is dead. Besides, they could take one of their closing(ed) plants and retool it for these vehicles, which would help keep the costs down. In return, GM (Chevy) gets a RWD sedan, a car that can be sold as a police unit, and doesn't lose the R&D costs, wherever they may be involved.

I also think that they should consider putting the turbo 4-cyl Ecotec in as a base level engine. Its lower center of gravity and reduced weight would still move that car around.

Yup, but 4cyl/RWD for that car (the V6 is about 3900lb)?

I think the mighty 4cyl turbo ecotec can move it around, but not sure it will sell, perception is everything. I would start with the V6 instead.

I think the mighty 4cyl turbo ecotec can move it around, but not sure it will sell, perception is everything. I would start with the V6 instead.

260hp is plenty to move that car. I'm sure giving it that motor and testing it to see what kind of 0-60 and perf. numbers it would put down would be plenty to prove to the masses that it's capable in a full size sedan.

The 3.6L V6 with 264hp moves the G8 just fine. I would love to see the hp raised to 304hp like in the Camaro 3.6L.

I am desperately trying to talk myself out of buying a G8 GT.
The extra $10,000 for the GXP allows me to ignore it.
Having no dealership within 200 miles with a blue one is helping as well.

www.autotrader.com has good search capabilities. Now, only the 09s have blue color choices (2?), the 08s nada, just checking :)

Back