Polyurethane Bushings... really worth it?

zackmac

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I'm really close to ordering a TWM Short Shifter (their site has it for $150, if anybody knows one used or cheaper let me know!)

After looking around a while on the forums I see a division of people who swear by the Polyurethane Bushings and those who say they don't notice a difference.
They're only $28 on the site and I don't mind spending the extra $$$, but I would like to know from people who didn't get them if they wish they had, I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass after!

And just on a side question, after I take apart the original shifter, can I put the shift boot back on with the TWM or will it be sloppy/torn?

THANKS!

Im on my phone so ill keep it short. HUGE difference. Do it do it. You will not regret it. Also the boot still looks good with the SS. I think my thread has a pic of it completed.

I'm really close to ordering a TWM Short Shifter (their site has it for $150, if anybody knows one used or cheaper let me know!)

After looking around a while on the forums I see a division of people who swear by the Polyurethane Bushings and those who say they don't notice a difference.
They're only $28 on the site and I don't mind spending the extra $$$, but I would like to know from people who didn't get them if they wish they had, I don't want to be kicking myself in the ass after!

And just on a side question, after I take apart the original shifter, can I put the shift boot back on with the TWM or will it be sloppy/torn?

THANKS!

I did not put in bushings when I put in my twm ss. I have never felt one with the bushings, but I can say the SS alone made an AMAZING difference. I have no play at all in mine and I am extremely happy with it so I will probably not put in the bushings.

I had a pair of bushings for about a year, they make a huge difference when it comes to the engine kicking around and make shifting much crisper, but they make your general quality of life while driving much poorer. Inside the cabin, it gets really noisy, particularly at idle. If you have change in your cupholder it bounces around and your mirrors vibrate. I eventually took them out, couldn't stand the noise an vibration for the minor improvement they made.

Edit: I'm dumb.

Last edited:
Zmepro. are you talking about the bushings that came from TWM? I recieved them with my shifter and couldn't tell a lot of difference. But, i did only have the car for a month or so before replacing so my experience with the car at that point was limited. I would go for it. I do not notice any unwanted shaking or vibrating at idle or when I am on the highway. it is only 30 bucks so I would go for it and decide for yourself.

I did not know that adding bushings will make it louder in the car.. I do not want this, I am a music freak and love clarity. I already have a 1200w sound system in my car and after the ebay exhaust I do notice it is a little louder in the cabin.

I had a pair of bushings for about a year, they make a huge difference when it comes to the engine kicking around and make shifting much crisper, but they make your general quality of life while driving much poorer. Inside the cabin, it gets really noisy, particularly at idle. If you have change in your cupholder it bounces around and your mirrors vibrate. I eventually took them out, couldn't stand the noise an vibration for the minor improvement they made.

Damn, I totally misread this thread, I thought he was talking about new engine mount bushings. By all means, bushings the best for shift kits. derp.

haha hooray! problem solved! that it a big difference haha shifter and engine mount bushing :p at least now we all agree!

Now im wondering if i should use bushings at all, but if i do decide to i will try the ones that come with it first. What's the main difference bushing/no bushings will make?

Back