Please take a look at this log

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
This is what I am having issues with...REALLY high knock retard in 3rd+ gear when all other things seem to be OK. Running Shell 93 gas, and BATs are always in the mid to low 90s with the water/meth.

Log7-2-10.jpg

Any ideas?

Mods: CAI, turbo inlet, FMIC, catless DP, Forge BPV, Cobb AP

I am currently running stock heat range plugs, but I was actually having more of an issue when I was running the step-colder plugs.

Last edited:
Well the thing that jumps out is that 1st and 2nd generally have limited boost and 3rd-6th do not.

Do you know what boost you're running at 5krpm-6krpm in 1st and 2nd where there is no KR?
Is the same problem present in 4th-6th from 5krpm to 6krpm?
Is the problem still there without water and/or meth?

With the AP, I'm running full boost in all gears. No issues in first and second. The problem has been around for a long time...before the water/meth. I actually got the meth kit to help take care of it, but it didn't do anything. Problem is worse in 4th gear when you do a 1-4 acceleration (like at a drag strip). As shown in that log, it doesn't show up until late in third, but it's around for most of 4th gear. I don't run the car hard in 5th or 6th.

Like i said on my previous post to you, it might be the timing. My car was fine during colder months but as soon as it got hot, i faced the same KR problems under WOT.

I then had to reduce timing on the problem areas to fight the problem. Haven't had KR ever since.

As long as your AFR's are not above mid 12's (since you got meth), i would take a look at your timing compared to stock.

Back