Please HELP!!!

msp1986

:
Sunlight Silver 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1986
Hey guys so i have exhausted my knowledge and i REALLY need advice here.. i recently installed an altered customs FMIC kit and my car got WAYYYY slower. we definitely made sure that all of the coplers were tight and none blew during the test drive. it feels like the turbo is just making noise sometimes when im in boost like the car isnt even reacting to it. other times it will boost and be fast. It sounds like theres a wooshing sound coming from under the hood or the downpipe area right as the turbo is getting into boost but it doesnt spool any slower and is still holding 6.5-7.5 PSI constant. this is very very frustrating i feel like im driving a regular protege right now please please help.

here are my mods:
ATP wastegate
injen SRI
2.5 inch Catless exhaust
Blitz DD Bov
ALtered Customs FMIC kit

you said that your boost guage is hooked up to your intake manifold right? if you are getting boost to your intake manifold, than there isnt really a way that you have a boost leak, unless it is somewhere after the intake mani, like bent valves that are leaking boost. are you throwing any CELs? your just using the stock MSP ecu right?

Ya I'm still running the stock ecu. Do you think it's just hesitating again? I'm about to order an ssafc tho that might fix it I am so
lost on this one tho. It almost feels like heat soak that I had with the stock smic. It gets worse If I let the car sit running for a while or if I've been driving for a while. Still hitting full boost just feels like it's not even there sometimes

well i have my stock untuned ecu and sometimes at WOT i get hesitation, which is just mazdas bad design. you could try getting it flashed at the dealer, they have a flash for that. but i think i remember that the flash advances timing or something so if your gonna go with the ssafc it is better just to leave it unflashed... there is a thread on it somewhere in the MSP PROBLEMS/HELP section i think.

There is a leak after the MAF, it's reading airflow and adding fuel but the extra air is getting lost somewhere.

Better fix it soon, that's a sure way to an early end to your turbo. They don't like to be over spooled like it's doing now to compensate for the lost air.

That's strange there's only one pipe and two couplers after the maf and before the throttle body my maf is relocated on the cold side with the altered customs fmic kit.. I can't imagine where there would be a leak between the maf and the throttle body

Also I have a healthy vac reading at 16 which is normal for altitude and between 6.5 and 7.5 psi which is normal for an ATP wastegate

There is a leak after the MAF, it's reading airflow and adding fuel but the extra air is getting lost somewhere.

Better fix it soon, that's a sure way to an early end to your turbo. They don't like to be over spooled like it's doing now to compensate for the lost air.

if he was leaking air, even after the maf, his boost wouldnt still read correctly....

I do NOT recommend putting an SSAFC on a car that isn't running correctly already. it adds extra variables to the equation. are you sure that 16 is proper vac? I know you're up higher, but thats still a BIG change from whats normally expected.

is it possible the BOV is leaking? that might explain the noise, and could be letting out a somewhat consistent amount of air which would keep boost relatively steady.

I do NOT recommend putting an SSAFC on a car that isn't running correctly already. it adds extra variables to the equation. are you sure that 16 is proper vac? I know you're up higher, but thats still a BIG change from whats normally expected.

is it possible the BOV is leaking? that might explain the noise, and could be letting out a somewhat consistent amount of air which would keep boost relatively steady.

yea that is true, i think i remember mine runing 12vac here in springs. the only thing about it leaking from the bov is, why would it still read the correct psi at the intake mani? unless you accedintally bought a 14psi wastegate from atp and the BOV is letting half the air out?

because the turbo will work harder to maintain the boost if some is being lost. wastegate doesn't get opened until the manifold sees the boost necessary to open it.

I suppose the best thing to do is to take it somewhere have them smoke test the induction system and tighten all of the couplers.. Otherwise I'm out of ideas here.. Does that sound like a good solution?? If it was a boost leak I would think that would fix it

I'm not sure what a turbo that is spooling harder would sound like but sometimes it sounds as if it is spinning faster than usual for the same boost. In my s4 I had a major boost leak and until I found it it would make the same boost and the turbos would just spin harder like an infinitely accelerating whistling sound they never leveled. One I found it they leveled out in each gear

I tightened up the bov and all of the couplers that I could get to last night. No difference at all still hear the "whooshing before boost mostly in 4th and 5th gear. Still falling on it's face

Back